U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 11,648 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Columbus Ne. What are the schools, people, real estate and jobs like. Is it a good family place? I'm nervous about moving 3 kids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,397,064 times
My wife is from the Columbus area and we did live there about 20 years ago. Our son lives there now.
I still do some business in this area and have always found the people to be quite friendly.

Columbus has an excellent YMCA and the programs to go with it for youth. They also have a new water park that is getting very good reviews from users. A pretty good youth soccer program and other ball programs as well.

I believe thier school systems are just good as you will find across the state. You will also have available some private catholic & other christian schools available also.

I know Columbus has been expanding to the east with new shopping areas. Mainly a Walmart & Menards. There are also JC Penny's and some other stores in the expansion area.

Columbus is home to quite a few manufacturing plants, I am sure they are feeling the economy woes. I can't really help you much on the local employment scene. My son works for an electric company there and is not seeing any job cuts in his area. His girlfriend works for one of the larger hotels in town and it is doing well at this time also. I suggest you check out the local paper, Columbus Telegram.

The Columbus Telegram - Columbus, Nebraska's Community Newspaper It has links for employment and housing in the area. I do know that the rental market is tight in town or so my son reports.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 11,648 times
Default thanks

Thanks for your imput and the links.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,932 times
Do not move to this town! Run away quickly. There is nothing here. You will regret it the rest of your life.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 AM

123 posts, read 386,922 times
Don't make the biggest mistake of your life. Columbus, NE is a total ****hole and I hope that you check this place thoroughly before you'd ever decide to move here.
I've lived in different parts of Nebraska and also 2 other states. Columbus is one of the most mediocre towns for its size, but the idiotic Columbus-born people who never get out seem to still love it here.
If you asked me anything good about this town, I could only think of one or 2 things. The movie theater here is nice and that's pretty much it. Oh, I should mention the most positive thing about the town: the unemployment rate is among the lowest in the nation. But if you're desperate for a job and moving here for employment you'll likely be miserable. The quality of jobs here is poor; a lot of them are just dirty industrial or farm jobs. And you're more likely than not to get stuck working with a bunch of *******s. When I saw Columbus listed on the top 100 cities and towns to live in for the USA, I about spit out my drink. Norfolk is a much nicer town nearby and it's only a little bigger.

Here's my summary of Columbus.

Weather - Totally dreadful. In the winter it's almost always windy and frigid with that Dakota wind coming from the north. The spring weather is great. Summers can be way too hot. In the fall it gets too cold to enjoy it most of the time. There's a decent amount of sun here, but it's always windy.

Scenery - Not a whole lot to see, but I've seen worse. It's centered in the Platte River Valley so most of the city is totally flat. The city has a huge lack of trees and foliage and an abundance of litter/garbage in places. The locals love throwing trash out of their car windows. The city is just plain ugly and depressing to look at.

People/Social - The Columbus-born locals are some of the rudest people ever. If you're not from Columbus and you look like an outsider, they are likely to just stare at you with their mouths hanging open. The people are quiet and anti-social. I've lived in the town a total of 6 years off and on and to this day have never met a decent friend. And it's not just me, I lived in other cities and met lots of friends in just a few months. Also if you're a single guy you won't ever meet a woman in this town.

Cost of living/Value:

Cheap electrical bills, that's all I can say. The rent cost is a bit too high for the type of town it is. The food cost here is horrendous. I can't believe how expensive the food is. I drive to other cities to buy my groceries. And since Wal-Mart owns half the town and has no competition, their prices are higher than other Wal-Marts.

Food/Nutrition:

Columbus, NE gets my award for having the worst food in any mid-sized town. There's hardly anything enjoyable to eat here. You won't get fresh food or good service at any of the chain restaurants in town, and the local restaurants serve pig slop and the locals love it. Any food chain is just a mediocre version of the same restaurant in the town over. Good luck finding fresh fruits and vegetables as well. The grocery stores to choose from are Hy-Vee(farm town preppie hick groceries) and Super-Saver (white trash) and both are super expensive. Take your pick.

I could rant about how ****ty Columbus is but it only depresses me more. I'm stuck here for another few months until I can afford to move out again. It took a town like Columbus to turn me from a happy/cheerful and ambitious person to a sad, quiet and dull person in just a few months.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 16,149 times

Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,055,542 times
Well.. To put this into perspective, I'll give you my thoughts on Columbus..

The city has about 22,000 people, so their isn't going to be a lot of elitish positions like Omaha has.. That said, the city is growing and is pulling in decent jobs.. But for a growing city of 22,000 it does very well compared to your normal city..

Columbus has two high schools with one as a Private Class C school and so you have choices here..

Columbus has some awesome areas of outdoorsy type of things to do within an hour, 2 hour and 3 hour drives...

Columbus is not in the middle of nowhere, but is actually a center-point for the states two major market areas (Omaha-Lincoln and to the west is Grand Island-hastings-Kearney)..

Honestly, columbus is truly a very solid choice for a city of its size..

Does that answer your question?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM

12 posts, read 30,497 times
I grew up 40 miles from Columbus and have relatives there. Is it flat? Yes, as is any town along the Platte River. The river makes for great recreation, and there are a lot of lake developments going up in the area if that's something you were looking for. Is it cold during winter? Yup, just like anywhere else in Nebraska. Hot in summer? You bet. They have 2 public high schools and 1 catholic high school. I've found a great way to try to get a "feel" for a town is to look at their town's website or get a few issues of their newspaper mailed to you (or online). There are a lot of manufacturing job/meat processing centers - not sure if that's the type of work you are seeking or something else. These mfg also provide some "office" employment too, of course.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 AM

1,074 posts, read 2,055,542 times
The Columbus Micropolitan area grew by 515 residents in the last year. This is very good growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>