Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,728 times

Advertisements

I know of a few people in Nebraska and know that they are serious Cornhuskers fans and see the pride of Huskers in displayed loud and clear in Nebraksa when I go through there on ocassion, coming from the S. Dakota tundra. I find it rather interesting. In South Dakota, we have in-state rivals, South Dakota State and University of South Dakota, which SDSU is Divsion 1 and 1AA in football and USD is transitioning into Division 1 and 1AA in football. How would you describe Nebraska's love affair with the Conhuskers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,080 times
Well, there is no instate rivalry in Nebraska, so the vast majority of people in Nebraska are devoted Husker fans. That is one thing that makes the Cornhusker team unique...it has the full attention of the state. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a major program that shares this advantage. It seems like every program I think of I can think of a "state" college to go with it: Iowa and Iowa State; OU and OSU; CU and CSU; and etc.

FYI, since you're a South Dakotan, you might find it interesting that SDSU will be playing the Cornhuskers in a few years. This was just announced earlier in the week. It shocked me at first, but looking into I realized that SDSU has been putting a lot of effort into transitioning into a full fledged Div. 1a program.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:54 AM

It will be interesting to watch the two. As a USD Coyote, I generally rout against the SDSU Jackrabbits. During my sophomore year of college, I can remember some crazy USD students going up to Brookings and throwing dead bunnies and jackrabbits on the basketball court and were kicked out of the game. Jackrabbit fans have also done some rather odd things to show their dislike for the Coyotes. The two talk smack about each other. When USD and SDSU meet again in D-1, the rivalry will be nasty again.

You should be fortunate in Nebraska not a have a high profile in-state rivalry. I find the intense loyalty of its fans and the state, as a matter of fact, odd but amazing. The loyalty for the hometown team is something to be respected.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:06 PM

My wife's parents just recently moved to Brookings (about 2 years ago). They've become transplanted Jackrabbit fans. I'm not sure if they follow them too much...more of just something to do on the weekends. They despise NU though, so I'm looking forward to the Jackrabbits-Huskers matchup. It'll be interesting to see how competitive SDSU is at that point.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,003 times
Should note that in other sports Nebraska does have an in-state rival with Creighton. Its not anything like the what happens in South Dakota by what your describing. I'm glad the huskers are playing SDSU, if we are going to play a 1-aa opponent, we might as well play one of our neighbors.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:27 PM

Tpabes,

You bring up a good point. In basketball, NU does have an significant rival. I actually think by 2010 that SDSU is supposed to be full-fledged Div. 1a...or at least that's their goal. I may be wrong though. Its worth noting that SDSU played the Huskers in the NCAA volleyball tournament.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 PM

119 posts, read 517,567 times
For me, I was raised a Husker fan. It has been something that has been a part of my life since day 1. I think many people are this way.

Also, this is Nebraska, and there may not much else to do other than become devoted to the Huskers! LOL!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Should note that in other sports Nebraska does have an in-state rival with Creighton. Its not anything like the what happens in South Dakota by what your describing. I'm glad the huskers are playing SDSU, if we are going to play a 1-aa opponent, we might as well play one of our neighbors.
I have a friend who is a Creighton dentistry student and your comment is true. When I go to some of malls in Omaha, I notice both Creighton and Nebraska gear being displayed prominently in stores. Although I have a neutral opinion on the Huskers, I admire the loyalty of Nebraskans towards the Huskers. It is better to have a house united than a house divided.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:27 PM

45 posts, read 198,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Tpabes,

In basketball, NU does have an significant rival.
What??? UNL has a basketball team??? When did that happen??? LOL
Adam

Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,418 times
Wink I am husker red...

I love the Huskers, and grew up loving the Huskers..

But this state is definetely not just grass, gravel, corn and Memorial Stadium on a Ranch...

There are many things to do, especially in Omaha and Lincoln that do not involve the Huskers, LOL

No offense to anyone, but if people actually believe that there is nothing to do here than watch football, then maybe they need to get checked out for obsessive-compulsive behavior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska