U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM

227 posts, read 557,826 times

Advertisements

hello,

My husband got headhunted for a job offer today that is located in Sidney, NE (not with that certain big sporting goods business.) It will pay very very very well and be a significant raise economically for our family...

HOWEVER...

We never have once thought of Nebraska as a possible location we'd ever live in. We're originally from the Northwest, Portland Oregon area. Non-religious, artistic and musical liberals... a bit odd, but friendly in our own way. We have kids and dogs, and there is an appeal to the large open running spaces.

Currently we're located in Houston, which is an OK place to live, there's family here, but it's not exactly where we "fit" culturally. Even being here 5 years, Finding like-minded people has been hard. We enjoy museums, and live music, things like that. Looking at the map, Sidney seems to be pretty far from larger cities. Is it reasonable to live closer to a city and commute? How are the schools?

Money considered, Would Nebraska be the best idea for us? Like I mentioned, we know nothing about Nebraska that isn't a stereotype, and don't really have enough real information to make an educated decision.

We have to get back to the HR guy on Monday so any feedback would be great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM

370 posts, read 1,219,205 times
My first impression is that you would be very unhappy in Sidney. It is a small west-midwest town, with conserative Christian values, very little "arts" to be found, and far from any large population centers. Denver would be your closest big city, a three-hour drive away.

If you truely want small town life, it would be great, but it sounds like you want city sophistication too muc to enjoy it. I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into your post...

Old 04-03-2009, 02:31 PM

Please don't confuse our preference for entertainment with "sophistication". I don't even own a pair of high heeled shoes.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:56 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,797,063 times
Sidney is going to be a change for you, that is for sure. Its too bad you have to answer Monday, otherwise I would advise you to come check out the town and see how you feel. Like IsThisOneTaken said your closest city is Denver and that is a good drive away. There have been some previous threads on Sidney, you might try a search and read on up on those. I have no personal information on schools, but schools in Nebraska tend to be good.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Ive spent a few hours reading the boards now... It would definitely be a big change. This is going to take a lot of thought. We don't have to give a definite "yes" on Monday, just let the guy know if we're up to considering it a real possibility.

Is it realistic to live "between" Sidney and, say, Denver? Somewhere in Colorado I guess? I've been looking at maps and I'm not sure if that's a realistic idea or not.

As for the culture end of things, we've spent the past 10 years in the deep South. Not exactly a cultural match for our personal leanings, but we've met many many wonderful people of all leanings, all the same.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 PM

22,239 posts, read 38,797,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingThinking View Post
Ive spent a few hours reading the boards now... It would definitely be a big change. This is going to take a lot of thought. We don't have to give a definite "yes" on Monday, just let the guy know if we're up to considering it a real possibility.

Is it realistic to live "between" Sidney and, say, Denver? Somewhere in Colorado I guess? I've been looking at maps and I'm not sure if that's a realistic idea or not.

As for the culture end of things, we've spent the past 10 years in the deep South. Not exactly a cultural match for our personal leanings, but we've met many many wonderful people of all leanings, all the same.
If you are open-minded and like to try new things I would give it a try. Sidney is on top of I-80 so you could drive to Denver on the weekends for more cultural ammenities. You have to remember that some towns in rural Nebraska can be 50-100 MILES from an Interstate highway so the relative isolation in those towns are higher.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,797,063 times
I wouldn't recommend trying to commute very far. This weekend is a perfect example as their is a blizzard going on. Its not just the pain winter could be, but you also have to consider the cost and time. The only town I might suggest is Sterling, Co. but all your going to gain is being a tad closer to Denver. Sterling is still about 1 1/2-2 hours out of Denver. Your gonna go to work much more than Denver, so I would just suggest staying in Sidney.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:22 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,890,879 times
Well, I think it all depends on what you call arts and amenities. We have a thriving artists' group in our county (6000 people) that meets once a month and has art shows and even goes into the schools to teach the kids. Most of the artists sell their artwork, and not just locally. We have a strong drama group in the schools, as well as strong musical inclinations (10 flutists in a local HS band of 72 alone). The locals put on their own plays and skits at dinners and local gatherings. There are always 'smokers', festivals, cookouts,fund-raisers and get-togethers at local fire departments, schools, churches, private homes, and watering holes. If you want to be a participant rather than a watcher, the opportunities for entertainment can be discovered. It isn't as bustling as a big city, no big name entertainment, but the folks are good-hearted and love to have fun - at least in our part of Nebraska. I wish you could take the time to explore what Sidney has to offer before you say yea or nay. And I don't recommend commuting, either - some folks have jobs 40 miles from home and frequently can't get there in the winter due to weather. One learns to live with it but it may not be something that you would care to, with the distances previously stated.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:38 PM

300 posts, read 1,098,872 times
I've been to Sidney and it's a wonderful town. The people are friendly and hard working.
But, if you guys don't "fit" culturally in Houston and have a tough time finding like minded people, I would guess that you wouldn't fare too well in Sidney. Though, I don't know you personally, so it might be exactly what you want and need. And who knows? There might be quite a few like minded people looking to be friends with other like minded people like you!
I wish you luck!! It'll be a big change, that's for sure!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:43 PM

38,873 posts, read 22,016,519 times
Default Job Offer in Sidney... Should we take it?

Having lived in Nebraska years ago, and spending a number of years in Texas currently, it would be an easy decision for me. I'd take Sidney over Houston any old day. But that's just me. I enjoy the hunting, fishing and outdoor activities that Sidney would offer, and the urban congestion of Houston wouldn't attract me at all.

Houston certainly has its attractions, but Sidney's more my style.

Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska