Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,995 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the advice. I am in Lincoln next week for a quick visit and will check out two developments on Pine Lake 56th and 90th.

Someone told me check out Hickman. Never heard of it but I looked it up. It seems a bit small but close.

I will say those of you replying on this board are really helpful. My wife is a bit concerned about meeting people I am telling her that everyone I know from Nebraska has been really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 04:55 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,018,700 times
I hope you come back to post your impressions of Lincoln!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,525,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingLincoln View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I am in Lincoln next week for a quick visit and will check out two developments on Pine Lake 56th and 90th.

Someone told me check out Hickman. Never heard of it but I looked it up. It seems a bit small but close.

I will say those of you replying on this board are really helpful. My wife is a bit concerned about meeting people I am telling her that everyone I know from Nebraska has been really nice.
If you do want smaller town might also check Waverly...

Pine Lake is a nice area...

Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 PM

300 posts, read 1,175,784 times
Hickman is being a suburb south of Lincoln. It's not quite there yet, but it will be someday. It's a really nice small town and it's only about 10 minutes outside of Lincoln. The Norris School district is great. It's one of the best in Nebraska.
Waverly is 10 minutes outside of Lincoln to the north. It's also being a suburb, having grown over 15% in the last few years.
Good luck in whatever you do!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,995 times
My trip was moved up to this week so I just spent two wet cold days in Lincoln.

I saw some real positives:
  • People were friendly.
  • I really like the downtown and university area.
  • There seemed to be plenty of shopping and restaurants in the south part of Lincoln.
  • It is fairly easy to find your way around, at least the lettered and numbered streets.
Things I didn't like as much:
  • Traffic was a little worse than it should be. It seems like a lot of the streets were not built for the volume of traffice they carry.
  • It is flat and mostly without trees or water.
Overall, Lincoln seems like a nice place. I am going to bring my wife for a vist in the next 10 days.

I couldn't get a good sense for the housing market there. I will probably use one of the links earlier posters put up for realty companies and find someone to show us some homes.

I could see Lincoln being a good place for my family to grow up. Thanks again for all your advice.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:41 AM

548 posts, read 1,034,227 times
Lincoln is a nice community. I am originally from Lincoln...now living in Tulsa, OK. The schools are great and the people are nice. Best of luck in your new job and home search.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM

68 posts, read 228,075 times
Just checked www.homerealestate.com for your price and rooms and had multiple listings. Check the Preserve for wooded feel and Heritage Lakes for your lake view. There is also a new neighborhood with lakes being built east of SCC off O street.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 11,029 times
Don't go to Lincoln! Move to Omaha. Lincoln is really, really weird. The people are strange and the town is layed out terrible. Omaha is more of what you are used to. I can't stress enough that you shouldn't move to Lincoln, you will regret it. Arrogance mixed the stupidity is a dangerous combo. I can't put my finger on the mystery of Lincoln, but good luck figuring it out if you move there.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:06 AM

300 posts, read 1,175,784 times
Wow, how long did you live in Lincoln to get such a pessimistic view of it?
I've lived here all my life, and while it has it's faults, it's a really good city to live in.
Yes, Lincoln's roads aren't set up to be able to carry the number of cars that drive on them, but that doesn't mean it's really laid out horrible.
The majority of us are NOT arrogant and we certainly aren't stupid. It REALLY ticks me off that you are lumping EVERY Lincoln citizen into this category.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM

59 posts, read 230,069 times
I think Neb2South is crazy! I’ve lived in Lincoln for 2 months now and absolutely love it. It’s a small town but feel rather large. The traffic really isn't bad. You’re not going to get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. The South Pointe Pavilions (27th and Pine Lake) is a great place to shop. It gives you the feeling of living in a large city. I have lived in Los Angeles, Denver, Oakland, SLC and PHX (among others) and Lincoln is my favorite city. I don’t plan on moving again.

There is great food here. Everyone is nice to you! I was warned of small town minds concerning minorities (which I am) and I have never experienced anything. I think Lincoln is a perfect place to raise kids.

I hope your wife enjoys Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska