Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 PM

252 posts, read 732,744 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard much, lately, about the land, in NE, that was purchased by Ted Turner. Just finished reading his bio and there was nothing about it, in that book.

I saw his large herd of buffalo running in NM., from the road into Taos. Impressive.

So, I'm curious. What impact has his purchase and his son's mngmnt., thereof, had in Cherry County??? Did he ever establish a ranch home, up there. I thought I read in Nebraskaland Mag. that the locals were rude to Jane, so he rarely came around. Is that true????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
I'm not in the Sandhills so can't answer directly, but I do know that his purchases were generally at a high price, which then establishes a high valuation for tax purposes. A high valuation on such a large percentage of land then spills over and impacts the valuation for other tracts of like land - which then leads to higher taxes for those other resident land owners. So Ted coming in and paying high price has a correlation to increased property taxes on other ranchers.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I'm not in the Sandhills so can't answer directly, but I do know that his purchases were generally at a high price, which then establishes a high valuation for tax purposes. A high valuation on such a large percentage of land then spills over and impacts the valuation for other tracts of like land - which then leads to higher taxes for those other resident land owners. So Ted coming in and paying high price has a correlation to increased property taxes on other ranchers.
That is the free market in action. Properties and land are only worth what an individual is willing to pay for it.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is the free market in action. Properties and land are only worth what an individual is willing to pay for it.
Don't disagree... was just pointing out the affect to the area on Ted's purchases... I fully agree he has the right to do it... and the seller has the right to accept or reject it... beauty of free market - hopefully our country can keep free market going, but that's for another discussion.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
While this is true, the fact that a Billionaire is willing to pay an exorbitant price for land - to salve his ego - doesn't mean the land is worth that much. And it doesn't mean that area ranchers should automatically have the valuation assessment of their land increased.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times
Ted himself is very much hated by everyone whom I've spoken to who lives in Cherry County.

He used FedGov subsidies he engineered with his buddies to raise the 'beefaloes'. He then couldn't establish a market for them so he got fedgov subsidies again for his inability to sell his fake beef. By all appearances he never had any intention of selling the critters in the first place - just sucking the FedGov dry. He overgrazes his property and does not practice good rotational grazing methods - which causes the proliferation of leafy spurge and other non-feed grasses, as well as the cavein ("blowouts") and destruction of the Sandhills environment. If he's green, I'm purple.

But that's not all. Two years ago he decided it would be great fun to run his neighbors out of business. So he had his ranch hands go buy up every bit of lettuce and greens in the stores, and put them out on his neighbors' fencelines to attract the gophers. It got to the point that the stores refused to sell to his hands. He is constantly trying to stir sh*t with the people who live in Cherry County; reduce their gains, lower their values, whenever and however he can. His hands actually apologise to people for doing so - but they get paid too well to quit. That's what I have been told - I have never seen him or met him (even tho he is divorced from Hanoi Jane now) but if I ever did I'd spit on the sidewalk in front of him.

I've despised him ever since he decided to make his business (TNT and broadcasting companies in Atlanta) smoke free by firing anyone who smoked on his property. Ok, fine - but THEN he sent spies to his employees' homes to see if they smoked in the privacy of their homes and properties, and fired them if he 'caught' them, too. IMHO, he is a rabid imperialist who desperately wants to be King, and thinks that everyone else was put on this planet to serve HIM - and I despise him for it. Hanoi Jane was the perfect mate for him - both selfish, selfseeking, smarmy lowlifes, "mules in horse harness" who take up decent peoples' air.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Ted himself is very much hated by everyone whom I've spoken to who lives in Cherry County.

He used FedGov subsidies he engineered with his buddies to raise the 'beefaloes'. He then couldn't establish a market for them so he got fedgov subsidies again for his inability to sell his fake beef. By all appearances he never had any intention of selling the critters in the first place - just sucking the FedGov dry. He overgrazes his property and does not practice good rotational grazing methods - which causes the proliferation of leafy spurge and other non-feed grasses, as well as the cavein ("blowouts") and destruction of the Sandhills environment. If he's green, I'm purple.

But that's not all. Two years ago he decided it would be great fun to run his neighbors out of business. So he had his ranch hands go buy up every bit of lettuce and greens in the stores, and put them out on his neighbors' fencelines to attract the gophers. It got to the point that the stores refused to sell to his hands. He is constantly trying to stir sh*t with the people who live in Cherry County; reduce their gains, lower their values, whenever and however he can. His hands actually apologise to people for doing so - but they get paid too well to quit. That's what I have been told - I have never seen him or met him (even tho he is divorced from Hanoi Jane now) but if I ever did I'd spit on the sidewalk in front of him.

I've despised him ever since he decided to make his business (TNT and broadcasting companies in Atlanta) smoke free by firing anyone who smoked on his property. Ok, fine - but THEN he sent spies to his employees' homes to see if they smoked in the privacy of their homes and properties, and fired them if he 'caught' them, too. IMHO, he is a rabid imperialist who desperately wants to be King, and thinks that everyone else was put on this planet to serve HIM - and I despise him for it. Hanoi Jane was the perfect mate for him - both selfish, selfseeking, smarmy lowlifes, "mules in horse harness" who take up decent peoples' air.
Wow, that does not sound like a good situation at all. Most of the time the natives or multi-generational families in a particular area know exactly what the best land practices and conservation methods are. An outsider like Turner comes in and obviously has disrupted the balance.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
And it doesn't mean that area ranchers should automatically have the valuation assessment of their land increased.
I agree with that point. My best piece of advice would be to challenge the assessed value of the property and have a solid block of evidence to make your case. No one wants to pay more in property taxes when a property is assessed at a much inflated value.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times
Wow. Don't know much about the situation but I'm taking some of the info here with a grain of salt.
One, I think the statement about buying at a higher price "to salve his ego" is just opinion. You don't know that. It's just as likely that the ranchers selling their land saw an opportunity to gouge a non-local rich guy. And they probably needed the money, I don't begrudge them. But we don't know that either do we?
Two, while he may be sneaky and smarmy the whole lettuce gopher thing sounds.......stupid.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:18 PM

252 posts, read 732,744 times
I'm still wondering, though: did Turner establish a place to live(I mean 'hang out,' of course) around Valentine? I thought I heard or read they were restoring an old ranch home?????????????????Where did he stay when he was there? Did anyone learn to know him, personally? Otherwise, assuming he just drifted into and out of town, by sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: