U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 PM

15 posts, read 33,139 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could give me information about these two Nebraska towns. We are looking to relocate to a friendly state like Nebraska. We don't want too big of town and these two came up. Is there anything that we should know (negative)??? Also I am wondering if these two towns accept newcomers with open arms. I have two high school kids that are pretty decent at sports, wondering how all that will work, as I have heard of places that are pretty political in these areas. PLEASE HELP with our decision. Also if anyone has any other suggestions about a great place to live between 1000 and 6000 people, please let us know.
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 AM

43 posts, read 126,884 times
Waverly is nice!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,747,288 times
There are quite a few towns between 1000 and 6000 people that would work. As far as York and Gothenburg, both are nice IMO. Many towns are fond of their sports teams, so your sons should fit in pretty good. As far as political, its a conservative area.

As far as other suggestions, and I'll just go in the geographical area between York and Gothenburg thats within 30 miles of I-80. You could look at Aurora, Geneva, Minden, Holdrege, St. Paul, and Cozad. All those would have similarities to York and Gothenburg.

Are there any specific things you look for in a town?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks, I guess conservative values, some shopping, community spirit, a nice grocery store and good neighbors.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,747,288 times
York is going to have the most shopping out of those and the closest to major shopping in Lincoln and Omaha. Any of those towns mentioned have decent grocery stores and other shopping varies. I think you can find community spirit and good neighbors in all.

I would suggest looking at Aurora, too. It has a good grocery store and seems to be very community oriented. Its 20 miles west to Grand Island which has decent shopping and almost an hour to Lincoln. They have a good school in both academics and sports. I believe it was a farm magazine but Hamilton County (which Aurora is located in) was named the #1 family friendly place to raise a family.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:02 PM

20 posts, read 85,442 times
I grew up in York, very conservative, good schools, it used to have many drugs coming in and out but they increased the cop per person and things have really improved. I really loved my teachers. Sports is very big in high school, they have the basic sports plus soccer, golf, and tennis.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info Fyrn. I am glad you liked York! I will take all the information I can get

Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,885,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotan View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give me information about these two Nebraska towns. We are looking to relocate to a friendly state like Nebraska. We don't want too big of town and these two came up. Is there anything that we should know (negative)??? Also I am wondering if these two towns accept newcomers with open arms. I have two high school kids that are pretty decent at sports, wondering how all that will work, as I have heard of places that are pretty political in these areas. PLEASE HELP with our decision. Also if anyone has any other suggestions about a great place to live between 1000 and 6000 people, please let us know.
Thanks for your help.
I'm a small town farm boy that's now living in Omaha.

My experience is that smaller towns just are what they are. There's good parts, and bad - just like everywhere else.

My wife & I considered several moves when our sons were still in school (they're grown now, and our daughter is about to graduate high school). One of the concerns I had - having gone to a very small school growing up - is that small town schools can be VERY exclusive and stand-offish, with "new kids" being ostracized and never really accepted.

Certainly this is not going to be the case with all schools, nor will it happen to all the new kids. Also, I hope it never happens to any of your kids! But I do think it's something to keep in mind.

Good luck in your move - wherever it is to!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 AM

300 posts, read 1,085,055 times
I had a friend that just moved to York and she complains quite a bit about people not accepting her because she's the "new girl" in town. It really upsets her and she's thought about coming back to Lincoln because of it.
Some people never have to see it or be the victim of it, but quite a few are left out in the cold in a new town.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:13 PM

Is this "new girl" in high school? Is she involved in things? Just wondering... thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska