Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:54 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times

Advertisements

Lincoln has gained just 400 people to its employment base since November 2001. 169,300 in November 2001 to 169,700 in February 2007.

Its non-farm employment grew by just .8% from February 2006-2007
Construction is down 3.8%: looks like some people are turned off by those high Lincoln property taxes because all the religious conservatives insist on having such large families so infrastructure spending is way below what it should be because most of it is going to K-12 for people who will ultimately in all likelyhood move from the state when they graduate or graduate for college to find decent paying jobs. Looks like Lincoln's devout social conservatism and absoluteist social environment is causing economic issues.

Manufacuturing down 2.6%, down 3,800 since December 2000: 18,700 to 14,900

While Lincoln has gained 400 people to its employment numbers since November 2001, Omaha has gained 8,800 to its employment tally.
=====
Lincoln is also going to elect a new mayor and new school board members and they all love high property tax rates. They dont plan on cutting the tax rate 73% to match Denver or 76% to match Colorado Springs.

No wonder construction in Lincoln has dropped by 3.8% over the year, it seems like Lincoln with their huge bureacratic city government and school board has a massive spending addiction to the point where in 63 months Lincoln has gained just 400 people to its employment base. Which is about 76 people a year added to its employment base since November 2001.

Its amazing all the for sale signs in Lincoln, it seems like alot of people are trying to sell their homes because of this massive spending binge by the Lincoln Public schools and City of Lincoln.

And if that isnt enough, with Lincoln there always seems to be more games the Lincoln Public Schools and City of Lincoln are trying to play. The city of Lincoln has basically decided a way to find an excuse to raise property taxes in the future
is to use lots of tax-increment financing which freezes property taxes at current levels for decades for the Lincoln city council and mayors special-interest pet-projects only. While residential property owners have increasing property taxes, the mayors and city councils silly pet-projects which will mostly be under-utilized anyway get to have a property tax freezes for decades.

Another thing with the property taxes is that the city of Lincoln tends to prefer low-density zoning because high-density zoning would reduce the size of households and there would be less students in the long-term in Lincoln Public Schools so in the long-term they can have larger school budgets and a large majority of property taxes goes to schools and hire more administrators if they zone low density.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-02-2007 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Mattden,

Would you mind quoting your sources??!!

Also, you state a lot of things in your diatribe to be factual when, in reality, they are nothing more than subjective opinion.

"looks like some people are turned off by those high Lincoln property taxes because all the religious conservatives insist on having such large families so infrastructure spending is way below what it should be because most of it is going to K-12 for people who will ultimately in all likelyhood move from the state when they graduate or graduate for college to find decent paying jobs"

Here we go with your slippery slope and suggestive argument style!! Your claims are completely baseless!

First, you act as though our religious conservatives in Nebraska are popping out babies left and right and having huge huge families. Would you mind quoting a source on that issue?? I'm sure if you'd check the stats Nebraskans are having 2.5 kids/family just like everyone else!!

Next,I don't mind that our schools spend money. That's part of the reason that Nebraska has some of the best public schools in the nation. That doesn't bother me a bit! However, you give no evidence that this outrageous school spending is actually happening...you just CLAIM it is.

However, from the looks of your grammar I would suggest that you would have greatly benefited from a Lincoln, NE education.

You're are so out of touch with the actual city of Lincoln (and Nebraska in general) that you have zero credibility on this issue. Next, you'll be claiming that Nebraskans are indeed the cause of all evil and suffering on the planet. You clearly have an agenda and its pretty pathetic.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Lincoln beneath poorest state in america's main city on wages per job

I think its humorous that when a community such as Lincoln has such very poor economic performance overall that some of its residents resort to personal negativity.

I shouldnt and dont have any credability, but the Bureau of Economic analysis and Bureau of Labor statistics do and both of those which are some of the main federal agencies that warehouse economic data show Lincoln is an economic failure overall. The Bureau of Labor statistics shows the fact Lincoln has only gained 400 people to its employment numbers in 63 months and The Bureau of Economic Analysis shows Lancaster County, Nebraska wage scale per job is lower then that of the main counties in the poorest states in america.

Lincoln does have an amazing educational system. Its so amazing that Lincoln's average wage per job is 2,000 dollar lower then Hinds County, Mississippi (Jackson) which core-city is the largest city in the poorest state in america according to the Bureau of Economic analysis.

Lincoln does have a wonderful educational system though. Its so wonderful in fact that Lancaster County, Nebraska has an average wage per job of 32,635. Hinds County, Misssippi which is Jackson has an average wage per job of 34,699 and Madison County, Alabama has an average wage of 42,325. It looks like despite all those tremendous property taxes going to Lincoln's so called highly regarded education system the end result is Lincoln cant even keep up with the largest city in the poorest state in America's wages per job.

Bureau of Economic analysis, average wage per job 2005

Even Michigan which people are leaving in droves because of the economy has much higher wages in its counties then Lincoln's Lancaster county. Saginaw County, Michigan average weekly wage per job is 714 dollars. Gennesse County, Michigan which is Flint has an average wage of 733 dollars per job compared to Lincoln, Nebraska's average wage per week of 636 dollars. Wayne County, Michigan which is where Detroit is has an average weekly wage of 904 dollars.
Looks like those heavily manufacuring cities have better wages then Lincoln also.

Oh and all those biology majors and graduates at the university seem not to have brought in much prosperity to the community either. The bureau of economic analysis data for the 2nd quarter of 2006 shows Lancaster County had an average weekly wage of 636 dollars. Other heavily-biotechnology cities such as Suffolk County, Mass have an average weekly wage of 1,228 dollars and Durham County, North Dakota has an average weekly wage of 1,002 dollars. It looks Lincoln's has along way to go to be a research center that brings prosperity to the community.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-02-2007 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 11:29 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
The educational system has nothing to do with the wages that you are mentioning! Again, you try to connect two issue that are not necessarily related. If you want to talk about education then why don't you quote statistics directly related to education and not statistics that are loosely connected, if at all. The stats you mention would also require a consideration of cost of living, which you don't mention. You continually bring up average salaries but fail to mention that the average home in Nebraska costs about 130,000, which is much lower than the national average. Why don't you go to a simple salary equivalence converter and look how Lincoln stacks up?

As for education, the percentage of highschool students going on to college in Nebraska is the 5th highest in the nation. Nebraska also ranks 12th in the nation in average ACT score. I'm not impressed with this ranking but compared to Mississippi, the state which you for some reason latched onto in this little statistical regurgitation, was in the 50th spot. Oh, and Colorado was in the 42nd spot.

You also take the poorest state in America and then take the data from the largest city. Well, just because Mississippi is the poorest state doesn't make Jackson equally as poor! Again, connecting numbers that aren't necessarily relevant. Mississippi is poor because of the extreme poverty and lack of education (evidenced by the low ACT scores) that is found in their rural areas. In addition, there remain serious racial issues in rural areas of the deep south and this no doubts contributes to the education, poverty, and lack of hope in general. Jackson, being the largest city in Mississippi, doesn't really qualify as a rural area. Its the same reason economic data from Omaha, NE doesn't really equate to economic data from O'Neill, NE. So, you arbitrarily picking Jackson to compare to Lincoln really just displays your tactics in nutshell.

I will agree that Lincoln suffers from "brain drain". There is no doubt that Lincoln could certainly work on retaining their educated youth. I was also not arguing your statistical data. I was arguing the conclusions and inferences that you were making with your data by incorrectly taking two unrelated phenomena, recognizing a correlation, and then trying to pass it off as causation! That's what I have issues with! You can quote me the statistical radius of the Fuji Apple and I won't argue that the stat is correct. I will, however, argue whether the stat is relevant to the statistical height of a Naval orange tree! I also disagree with the suggestion that because of fundamental christianity our reproductive rates in Nebraska are booming, which in turn stresses our tax system. Are you telling me this isn't a ridiculous claim?!

Here is data from a Money Magazine study. These are the statistics and that's it! I won't sit here and try and tell you what caused this and what caused that because I don't know, but neither do you. At any rate, Money Magazine has listed Lincoln as a top 100 city (actually they list Lincoln as 60): http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL3128000.html

So, you can spin Lincoln as this run down city that has no promise or good qualities, but apparently at least the people at Money Magazine disagree.

The bottom line is that Nebraska is no different than most states in the midwest (and I'm including Colorado). Salaries will vary but so does cost of living and many other factors. You can paint any image you'd like with a snapshot statistical approach, but it isn't an accurate picture.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 04-02-2007 at 11:40 PM..

Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 AM

I can see why Lincoln has such brain drain.

According to Bureau of Labor statistics a painter in Rockford, IL gets an median yearly wage of 53,020 on average. A highly-educated sociology post-educated instructor in Nebraska has an average wage of 51,270 and in communications an instructor makes a average wage of 49,650 on average. Not only that but the median home value according to the Census Bureau is 93,600 in Rockford, IL as opposed to 131,700 for Lincoln. Rockford has a 29% lower home value on average then Lincoln.

It looks like in most cases, the painter in Rockford will make more then the sociology and communication college instructors in Nebraska.

Wow, its amazing alot of those Nebraskans going to college for 6 whole years and because of their pride in this state and despite 30,000 dollars plus theyve spent on tuition they could have gotten a paintbrush and moved two states to the east and earned more.

I was also shocked when I saw that a Civil Engineer in Nebraska makes on avaerage 58,110 a year, a Civil Engineering Technician (a Technician) in Hartford, CT makes on average 63,420. So the technician in Hartford makes more then 5,000 a year more then the Engineer in Lincoln.

And the chemists. Average wage for a chemist in Lincoln 46,530 and the median home value is 131,700. Indianapolis pays their chemists an average wage of 87,130 and the median home value in 2005 according to the census bureau was 117,900. Looks like the chemist on average makes 40,000 a year more in Indianapolis then Lincoln and yet the housing costs are 10% cheaper.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-03-2007 at 06:06 AM..

Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,504 times
I'm a chemist and they sure don't pay us well in Fort Collins with the high cost of living out here. I seriously doubt Indianapolis pays almost twice as much for the same a job located in Lincoln. My boss, a chief scientist, doesn't make 87k. So your numbers don't make any sense...maybe in NYC or Boston but not Indiana. A lot also depends on the type of research facilities in each area. Some industries might attract more Ph.Ds than technicians.

I'd appreciate it if you posted LINKS to your data. I think you are fudging data again.

Last edited by Rumblebelly; 04-03-2007 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 AM

[quote=MattDen;529686]

I was also shocked when I saw that a Civil Engineer in Nebraska makes on avaerage 58,110 a year, a Civil Engineering Technician (a Technician) in Hartford, CT makes on average 63,420. So the technician in Hartford makes more then 5,000 a year more then the Engineer in Lincoln.

[quote]

YOU WERE SHOCKED!?!?

Well, here's telltale sign you are full of crap. You conveniently forgot to compare the cost of living in CT to NE.

Sheesh...I think it's pretty obvious that Matt is simply being dishonest.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default ......

Rumblebelly, so far in his stats, he has only maybe once or twice not posted them to make nebraska or the cities in them look worse than the actual scenario... It's obvious that he is a hater...

Old 04-03-2007, 12:13 PM

www.bls.gov/OES

The information is from the bureau of Economic Analysis
May 2005

Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
www.bls.gov/OES

The information is from the bureau of Economic Analysis
May 2005
Hint: when you post data, post the direct link to that page. I'm not gonna hunt around that massive website looking for your numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska