Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 PM

304 posts, read 904,382 times

Advertisements

I live in a very pretty mountain area - Cody, WY. I need a change. I've been to Nebraska often as we have family in the southeastern part, but I've never lived there. I'm so tired of our wind - stop laughing, I've heard of your tornados. Let me explain; it will blow here monstrously in the spring & fall between 40 to 70 miles an hour 3 to 7 days at a time, nonstop - from the west to the east it's a wind tunnel, letting up a few days and then right back to it - it's so bad our trees grow sideways. We also have 2 seasons here a short spring and winter...all kidding aside it really doesn't get and stay hot (wish it would). A plus is not too many bugs. I love to garden, but our growing season is over before we can get a harvest - or the frost takes it early. I like not having a state income tax, but also realize the oil industry is the reason we don't and we have problems because of it - drugs, job safety and boom or bust economy...and the "good ole boy attitude."

Please be honest, as I value your opinion and truly hope you will express it. I do know that Nebraska overall is a healthier, happier state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times
Well, if all those things are that bad then yes, unless you'll miss the scenery, which you could still get if you lived out west or in the sand hills, along with a growing season, if you lived out east we get the extremes of cold and heat and my garden is always flourishing (unless the rabbits interfere)

Old 06-10-2009, 01:44 AM

245 posts, read 545,201 times
Dont do that to yourself!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
I'm afraid you won't get away from the wind in Nebraska either, we have plenty of that. Your right about the growing season, bugs and tax burden. I guess I'm not going to be a good help because I would live in either place.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,391 times
I can tell you my dad moved from NE to WY and regrets it, that's my two cents...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Wyoming is very remote for most people...
Southeast Nebraska is more conveniently located to population centers like Omaha and Lincoln with a much longer growing season.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
I can tell you my dad moved from NE to WY and regrets it, that's my two cents...
Would you mind sharing a little more with me regarding your dad? I would like to know what he misses about NE, what he dislikes about WY and if he could move back to NE - where would he live?

Thanks so much!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
I'm afraid you won't get away from the wind in Nebraska either, we have plenty of that. Your right about the growing season, bugs and tax burden. I guess I'm not going to be a good help because I would live in either place.

Is it relentless - or are you able to go out in it and take walks, fish, etc? Here, we have to stay inside and it will blow for days. WY has high suicide rate and wind & isolation contribute.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,289 times
Nebraska is windy, no doubt about that. But can't say you are going to see 40-70 mph winds on an average for up too a week at a time. Southeast part of the state, one thing you may find you don't care for, is the humidity compared to Cody. Sort of sucks the life out of you, especially on those upper 90 degree days with 95% humidity.

I've been to Cody, southeast Nebraska does not compare scenery wise. It is very nice, it would be a change no doubt.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
Would you mind sharing a little more with me regarding your dad? I would like to know what he misses about NE, what he dislikes about WY and if he could move back to NE - where would he live?

Thanks so much!

Well he moved up there after losing a job he had held for 25 or so years becasue he had some friends that lived in Casper. So he went as a way to sever some ties and hurt feelings and enjoy some new experiences, which he certainly has. I believe the main thing that has disspointed him about Wyoming has been the people. (no offense) He says that the people that he has met do not seem as warm as the people that he was used to meeting in Nebraska. He feels that everyone has a guard up and they are lot harder to penetrate, and gain any kind of accpetance from. Nebraska is known for it's open and warm people so I think he didn't realise what he would be moving from. He grew up in Cleveland Oh but had made Nebraska his home. I imagine if he moved back he'd head for Chadron (romantic interest), Kearney (where he lived before), or Omaha, (Where I live).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska