Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Here is the link to the article..
JournalStar.com - Lincoln, Nebraska - News - Local (http://journalstar.com/articles/2009/06/12/news/local/doc4a319860457c6977602694.txt - broken link)
So.. what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM

81 posts, read 160,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
So.. what's your point?

The only point I see is at the top of your head.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why is this a big deal? I know of some counselors who will not take certain problems or clients if they do not feel they can help them. For instance, some cannot deal with mother problems so a man who goes in who is abnormally attached to his mother and cannot detach would not be helped by a counselor who hates and does not want to deal with those kinds of problems. Don't ask me why the counselor is that way but they are all human first you know.

Also, if you think Catholic Charities discriminate against gays then you do not know about all they do for gays with AIDS. Our parish priest spent his summer ministering to gays in the hospital. He was paid only a stipend like all priests are.

One gay man liked him so much he willed his house to him. The priest gave it to his family after the man's death. Sad stories but the religious are there to help all kinds of problems, yes, even AIDS problems.
It's very unfortunate the Catholic church is willing to put us gays in this place for their profits..

Not surprising though, it is capitalism..

That said, the Catholic church doesn't need us anyway.. The probably feel that the amount of profit for scrutinizing us is greater than the loss of families who leave the church for a more open church..

Again, capitalism is one of the catholic churches strengths.. As a matter of fact it was the catholic church that was integral in us adopting capitalism in the US.. Even though they claim it is greed that took us down.. It is also greed that is the driving force of capitalism.. You cannot have one without the other..

Old 07-09-2009, 11:36 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
There are many Catholic hospitals that do research. One may find the cure for AIDS someday.

I don't know what you mean about their profit. I will ask my priest but it may have been a charity ward and the patients didn't have to pay a penny. I know those who have this disease have to pay for drugs and a million other things so if they are at the end of their lives they may not have much money left.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemarehippy View Post
Fine, then my "dream" is that all churches turn into Laser Tag arenas.
They tried that in Poland with the Communists----well at least to close all churches but the people met out in the open, in fields. The people overcame that oppression. If you think religion is oppressive then just ignore it. Remember, WE live in the free country.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 AM

Did you read this post all the way through? Did you see the video I posted. She is a publicly elected official and she believes that the earth is only 6,000 years old. We have proof of cultures in Mesopotamia over 8,000 years ago. Belief in a 6k year old planet is religious in nature and pretty funny to boot. Religion is oppressive and no I won't just ignore it.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:28 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
There are many Catholic hospitals that do research. One may find the cure for AIDS someday.

I don't know what you mean about their profit. I will ask my priest but it may have been a charity ward and the patients didn't have to pay a penny. I know those who have this disease have to pay for drugs and a million other things so if they are at the end of their lives they may not have much money left.
For as much as I dislike some of what the Catholic Church does, it is an undeniable fact that they do a lot of very good things - especially among the world's poor.

In Omaha, THE largest homeless shelter is no publicly funded. It was built, and is funded and run, by the Catholic Church. And that's just a drop in the bucket.

Those who whine and moan about the RCC, and long for it's cessation, ought to be willing to take on its ministries if the RCC ceases to exist. That alone would shut up a LOT of people.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemarehippy View Post
Did you read this post all the way through? Did you see the video I posted. She is a publicly elected official and she believes that the earth is only 6,000 years old. We have proof of cultures in Mesopotamia over 8,000 years ago. Belief in a 6k year old planet is religious in nature and pretty funny to boot. Religion is oppressive and no I won't just ignore it.
Liberalism is oppressive, and you're trying to force your will on other people. That too will not go un-noticed and un-challenged.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:57 PM

It's hard to force my will through a message board, I don't think my arms are long enough.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:53 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,675 times
Does anyone know if this Catholic Charity qualifies for any gov't assistance? If so, they could be violating other laws unrelated to freedom of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska