Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 PM

138 posts, read 600,072 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling with small children across Nebraska on I-80 and looking for hotel advice. Something NICE, CLEAN, SAFE tops the list, if it has a pool and breakfast, even better. I've looked online but keep finding dumps with really old furnishings and carpet that are giving me the creeps just thinking about them. Any newer hotels in Kearney, North Platte, Omaha or Lincoln? Or somewhere else along the route??? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:46 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Sorry you have to travel I-80, its sooooo flat and boring. Anyway there are plenty of new hotels in Omaha and probably a few in the other cities too but I'm not sure.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 PM

187 posts, read 663,450 times
There is a new Embassy Suites in the Southport area of Southwest Omaha. 126th and Harrison streets, I believe. Some newer ones in Lincoln too but I don't know the names.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedfly View Post
I'm traveling with small children across Nebraska on I-80 and looking for hotel advice. Something NICE, CLEAN, SAFE tops the list, if it has a pool and breakfast, even better. I've looked online but keep finding dumps with really old furnishings and carpet that are giving me the creeps just thinking about them. Any newer hotels in Kearney, North Platte, Omaha or Lincoln? Or somewhere else along the route??? Help!
I don't want to be dismissive, but there's a LOT of area between several of these cities you mentioned. Anytime I'm traveling, I have 1 area where I know I'll be staying the night.

I then get online and do some hunting for motels in that town.

I'd suggest you find a specific motel or two, in a specific town, and then ask about those motels. You're apt to get a little better advice here.

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
I don't work for 'em or anything like that, but I have found the Super 8/Days Inn brand pretty consistent. Reasonably priced, nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 PM

252 posts, read 732,538 times
Kearney: Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Best Western, Comfort Inn....all are nice. My choice would be the Hampton...great breakfast, pool, located right off the interstate.

If you are headed for Omaha, you might come across No. Kansas on Highway ?? going through Norton and then, Northeast to Alma NE where you can stay at a new Super 8. (Alma is about 6 hours from Denver.) From there, you go North to I 80, through Holdrege, NE, and on to Omaha...about 4 hours--a good stop off for gas and food is the York, Ne interchange. Lots of facilities.

Alma has a public pool and a beautiful walking trail, golf course, movie theatre--Sat.,Sun. and Mon. plus one or two restauants, a Pizza Hut and a Subway. Stay alert on 2 lane hwys., if you choose this route. I think the landscape is beautiful...though, others are critical of the fields and plains.

Otherwise, staying on I 80, Kearney will be a pleasant surprise for the amount of activity and facility.

Have a great vacation! Drive carefully.

Last edited by roots'nbulbs; 07-13-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,231 times
For kids the Holiday Inn in Kearney has an indoor water park. This place is also recently remodled very clean and well managed. Kearney also has some other things you might be interested in checking out. Archway, Trails and Rails, Ft. Kearny.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I don't remember the name of the motel where we stayed in Kearney, but there are lots of them there. Just google "motels Kearney". Lots of choices.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Other options in Kearney are the new Microtel and new Best Western south of the interstate. Not too familar with motels in North Platte, stayed at the Super 8 there once and had good biscuits and gravy for breakfast. There is also a Hampton Inn in York along with others. There is a Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn express at the Grand Island/Hastings exit, and in Lexington there is a nice Holiday Inn express. Take a look at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ that will give you an idea on hotels.

Watch out for road construction, there is LOTS of it going on.

Lincoln and Omaha should be no problem finding hotels. If you want to stay on the interstate, the Airport/Cornhusker exit and 27th streeet exits are your best bets in Lincoln. In Omaha the L street and 72nd street exits will have the most, along with the Manawa exit in Council Bluffs.

Where are you traveling too? Kearney is about 5-5.5 hours depending on what part of Denver your coming from. Omaha is another 2.5-3 hours from Kearney.

Last edited by tpabes; 07-14-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 04:29 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
I second the Kearney area as you have kids and need a few more amenities. North Platte is good too, as it is about the halfway point between Denver and Omaha. Friendly people, some good mom and pop restaurants in both cities. Super 8's are good motels, I've stayed in several. They have free breakfasts in the morning, and they're OK! I'm on I-80 3 times a year visiting friends in the Omaha area. Some times I stay in Grand Island, as they have a huge Hastings CD and video store there (so does Kearney), and when I'm on the road I always make time to buy tunes. tpabes has a good suggestion on the Microtel, they are nice places as well.

tpabes is right on the construction too, was through there 7 weeks ago. I-80 is a MAJOR truck route and there are several spots the highway people are working on. Have a safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska