Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:35 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times

Advertisements

But google maps are rather out dated images.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 06:31 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Yeah,,, you’re right about that, however there are major items that would remain the same over the past ten years, example the airport north of the city, the highway and railroad is very distinct and wouldn’t have changed. However the wind generators would be new to this picture.

I’m thinking that it’s closer in to Colo instead of Neb.

I’ve checked this link for windfarms and can’t find anything with 16 units or towers.
AWEA - Projects (http://www.awea.org/projects/ - broken link) in the most logical states nearby. They give a good list of location for each state.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
A question Midwesterns45.
Do you know the answer to the puzzle of are you wanting to find out?

I grew up in Eastern Colorado (Yuma County) and I have been in small aircraft all over that part of the country. Just a quick guess on my part but I am thinking that might be Limon, Colorado. I am not sure what the exact orientation of the photo shown on the one link was. Limon has a small airport and the prison there should be distinctive. I don't know if any windfarm has been built in the area but if they have been built recently they might not show on a GOOOGLE satellite shot.

GL2

Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Sterling, CO and Crofton, Ne look the most like it but I don't know.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
The picture link no longer works.

Sterling, Co looks to be about double the size of the town in the photo, and Crofton, Ne is wayyy to smalll as well.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post

Panoramio - Photos by JaneMike15 its the first image

This link works, check the first photo.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Assuming that an airliner would fly in an almost straight line, unless winds did not permit, the Latitude of NYC is about 40.35 North. The latitude of San Francisco is 37.75 or so. So wind conditions permitting the flight path of an airline from JFK to Frisco would follow the 40th parallel give or take maybe 200 miles to the South. The 40th meridian runs right along Highway 34 East to West into Colorado. In fact the KS/NE is the 40th M.

To avoid Denver and ABQ air traffic the flight path from the CO/KS/NE borders would probably jag a bit South at the KS/CO line. So if that photo was taken from the left hand window during the late morning and early afternoon hours the city shown would almost certainly be South of the 40th parallel. That eliminates Wyoming and most of Nebraska. The terrain looks like Eastern CO or Western KS or parts of Northern OK and the Texas panhandle. I am still leaning towards Limon, CO or possibly La Junta. I haven't had time to do a proper search yet. Hopefully someone else beats me to it so I can do something important LOL.

GL2

Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 PM

I agree GL2, I also believe it's more south then Neb and the area of you pointed out. I've looked at some of the (what I believe right sized) towns and nothing matched up yet. Most airlines will fly to beacons and follow their signals across the country to allow maximum controlled traffic. I don't know what routes would normally be taken, however maybe someone out there knows. It's an interesting puzzle to figure out. LOL

Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
I agree and that seems to jive with what I found concerning windfarms in Nebraska. The state of Nebraska actually lists all the windfarms built or soon to be completed and none contained 16 turbines. Kimball and Crofton were the only ones that were reasonably close and those cities simply don't match the photo.

I tend to believe its in Eastern Colorado myself as well. I just checked Limon and that doesn't seem to be a match. The airport looks different and I don't see a lot of pivot irrigation sites around Limon. And obviously no wind farms, which we've already determined may not necessarily be present in satellite images. I also just had a look at La Junta and I think that can be ruled out as well, just based on differences of topology and landmarks. But I agree, I think its eastern CO.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Assuming that an airliner would fly in an almost straight line, unless winds did not permit, the Latitude of NYC is about 40.35 North. The latitude of San Francisco is 37.75 or so. So wind conditions permitting the flight path of an airline from JFK to Frisco would follow the 40th parallel give or take maybe 200 miles to the South. The 40th meridian runs right along Highway 34 East to West into Colorado. In fact the KS/NE is the 40th M.

To avoid Denver and ABQ air traffic the flight path from the CO/KS/NE borders would probably jag a bit South at the KS/CO line. So if that photo was taken from the left hand window during the late morning and early afternoon hours the city shown would almost certainly be South of the 40th parallel. That eliminates Wyoming and most of Nebraska. The terrain looks like Eastern CO or Western KS or parts of Northern OK and the Texas panhandle. I am still leaning towards Limon, CO or possibly La Junta. I haven't had time to do a proper search yet. Hopefully someone else beats me to it so I can do something important LOL.

GL2
Thanks for redirecting me, you must be right because I couldn't find the same
terrain in northern NE, it must be further south. Also later in the flight we flew over the north rim of the grand canyon in southern Utah. The flight didn't make any banking during mid flight so it have have continued on the same latitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska