Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM

252 posts, read 732,916 times

Advertisements

This question is for you who live in small towns and communities. The population out here is precarious, even though the state--large towns--as a whole, has grown.

Not always, but I usually feel sacked when I learn that a friend wants to move. It's like an investment on which I will get no return. And, it feels like that friend is sorry to 'leave me alone'--like I am the loser.

Of course, I would feel that way about a 'moving away' friend, anywhere, but is it worse when you are rural? And, what, since I am staying, can be done about that old feeling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 01:47 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
This question is for you who live in small towns and communities. The population out here is precarious, even though the state--large towns--as a whole, has grown.

Not always, but I usually feel sacked when I learn that a friend wants to move. It's like an investment on which I will get no return. And, it feels like that friend is sorry to 'leave me alone'--like I am the loser.

Of course, I would feel that way about a 'moving away' friend, anywhere, but is it worse when you are rural? And, what, since I am staying, can be done about that old feeling?
What you're going through is grief, and it's completely appropriate and to be expected.

Grief is about loss - part of which is the death of friends & loved ones. But having friends move away is also a loss, and grief is an inevitable part of it.

I grew up on a farm outside a tiny town, have lived in several towns of various sizes over the past 25 years, but now live in the Omaha metro area. One of the main differences I see between declining rural and growing metro areas is that in the metro area there are people coming as well as going.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:11 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post

Unforunately, I don't see anything to stem the population declines that continue to accelerate in agriculturally dependent and isolated counties in the Great Plains. Job opportunities are always going to be more numerous and diversified in the larger cities and metro areas. Another thing that accelerates declines in the ag belt is the low COL in the cities themselves like Omaha, Des Moines, Lincoln, Sioux Falls, etc. These cities have all had unemployment rates below the national average for some time along with growing economies.
With that being said, I understand what you are going through. I would try to network some more within your community or travel to a larger town more often where you can build more friendships and relationships.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Unforunately, I don't see anything to stem the population declines that continue to accelerate in agriculturally dependent and isolated counties in the Great Plains. Job opportunities are always going to be more numerous and diversified in the larger cities and metro areas. Another thing that accelerates declines in the ag belt is the low COL in the cities themselves like Omaha, Des Moines, Lincoln, Sioux Falls, etc. These cities have all had unemployment rates below the national average for some time along with growing economies.
A good share of what is happening in smaller, rural communities is inevitable and not hard to figure out.

75 years ago, there was a family on every 80-acre plot of ground. Most of those families had anywhere from 4-10 kids. Often the grandparents were living there as well. Farming was done with a team of horses and/or a tiny (by today's standards) tractor.

Today, most farmers farm 2,000 or more acres. Their equipment is absolutely massive and enormous. If these farmers have families, chances are they only have 1 or 2 kids.

Everything in your smaller, rural communities is connected to farming. Fewer farmers equals fewer everything else. The town I grew up in (in the 60s & 70s) had a population of over 1,000 people. Now it's down to about 700. In addition, the farm population within 10 miles of that town has declined markedly.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
A good share of what is happening in smaller, rural communities is inevitable and not hard to figure out.

75 years ago, there was a family on every 80-acre plot of ground. Most of those families had anywhere from 4-10 kids. Often the grandparents were living there as well. Farming was done with a team of horses and/or a tiny (by today's standards) tractor.

Today, most farmers farm 2,000 or more acres. Their equipment is absolutely massive and enormous. If these farmers have families, chances are they only have 1 or 2 kids.

Everything in your smaller, rural communities is connected to farming. Fewer farmers equals fewer everything else. The town I grew up in (in the 60s & 70s) had a population of over 1,000 people. Now it's down to about 700. In addition, the farm population within 10 miles of that town has declined markedly.
Yes, I agree. Massive farm and ranch consolidation over a long period of time has severly crippled smaller communities that have fewer than 5000 people. I think the motto continues to be "get big or get out."
The town my grandfather and is brother grew up in had 800 people is now down to 350.
Another big issue out in the frontier counties is availability and ease of access to quality medical care. With the population aging at a faster pace, many have to move closer to a regional center town that has better healthcare facilities. It is often a matter of necessity.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, I agree. Massive farm and ranch consolidation over a long period of time has severly crippled smaller communities that have fewer than 5000 people. I think the motto continues to be "get big or get out."
The town my grandfather and is brother grew up in had 800 people is now down to 350.
Another big issue out in the frontier counties is availability and ease of access to quality medical care. With the population aging at a faster pace, many have to move closer to a regional center town that has better healthcare facilities. It is often a matter of necessity.
Exactly.

My 73-year old dad still farms, mostly because he loves it and wants to keep doing it.

When I was growing up, we farmed 460 acres, raised hogs and cattle, and had a dairy of about 30 cows. That was a pretty good sized farm operation back in the '60s. Dad now farms 520 acres, has stock cows & raises out the calves. His farm is tiny by today's standards.

Part of the problem is that the margin of profit, per acre, is now pretty small. $30 profit per acre is okay, provided you're farming 1,000 acres. But most farmers don't net that much per acre.

Also, a farmer with acres like my dad, could easily do the farm work on a part-time basis. But that means that said farmer is also going to be working a full-time job in town. And that means that said job is not available to somebody else, which means fewer people in town.

It's an interesting conundrum. But honestly, regardless of whether or not we like it, things are not going to go back to the way they were. It's just not going to happen.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:20 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
I think the key is to make rural Nebraska attractive for reasons other than just farming. I think there has been some progress in that regard but relatively little.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I think the key is to make rural Nebraska attractive for reasons other than just farming. I think there has been some progress in that regard but relatively little.
What, in your opinion, are some viable possibilities?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
I would be curious to know as well. The way I look at, Nebraska - it is what it is. If people had more incentives to live in the rural communities they would. I just don't see this trend heading anywhere besides additional farm consolidations into large corporations and the small towns dying even further. It's sad, but the government can't afford to subsidize anything these days, let alone sustain an entire ag industry.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM

81 posts, read 160,211 times
Capitalism at it's finest. I say break up the big seed conglomerates and the land that they own. Your father has the perfect sized farm. Only allow someone to farm up to 500 acres and the food that you produce goes to local markets only. Use less chemicals and market the food stuffs as organic. Make more money per acre. Drive the giant grocery stores out and use the old fashioned local market. People can learn to deal without grapes in the winter. Stop sending all of our food out of country and commit to feeding every child with government sponsored food programs. Any excess can be sold to our neighboring states, or traded for products that we can't grow or build in state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska