Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,814 times

Advertisements

My husband has his heart set on moving to Nebraska if things don't work out on his job here, he feels that not only would there be more jobs there but there would be a more friendly, open, midwestern attitude. Can anyone tell me if there really are jobs to be found in rural Nebraska, what field those jobs might be in, and which smaller Nebraska towns we should consider? I really appriciate any info you can give me ~~ Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default ...

It depends on what you mean by rural, if it means non-metro cities then stay away from Lincoln and Omaha... my suggestion would be an area of the state known as the tri-cities... it actually is very rural as no town in the area is larger than 45,000 people but within a 50-60 mile radius is over 250,000 people including Kearney, Hastings, Lexington, Grand Island, Cozad etc... To me this is an up and coming area that feeds on each other very well, they compliment each other very well and really all the cities in the area are growing at near the national average, there are decent jobs in the area, a major university in Kearney, but yet all these cities are just far enough apart to have more of a rural feel...

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
So, where are you currently living? I checked out your other posts and its seems like you're living in the Houston area, is that correct? If that is correct then I think Lincoln would probably feel rural in many ways. Its not rural by any means, but compared to Houston it might be like a small town. Its a town of about 250,000, but it has a small town feel to it. But if you want actual rural (as defined by Nebraskans) then there are a number of surrounding towns only 15 minutes or so to Lincoln or Omaha. Crime isn't an issue. There are plenty of jobs, but it depends on what your husband does or wants to do.

But the Kearney, Hastings, Grand Island suggestion is also a legitimate possibility. The they have populations of approximately 25,000, 25,000, and 45,000 respectively. They are all very clean with relatively low crime. But again, it depends on what type of job you're looking for. Obviously, if your husband works for NASA he may have a hard time finding a job that suits him in Kearney.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
its seems like you're living in the Houston area, is that correct?
Oh goodness, no, I'm not from any big city!
We live in the rural Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and for anyone unfamiliar with it, we are really in the sticks. There are only two Wal-Marts within 200 miles of where I live, and I've never laid eyes on a Sonic burger joint .
Actually I've never lived in a town with a population of over 5,000 and never want to - thats too large a town for either my husband or me. When I say small town I mean a population of 500 to 4,000 people. On a map, central Nebraska looks good - towns seem small, far apart, and it looks as though there might be some good fishing available. Good fishing is almost as important as job availability and a low cost of living when it comes to our deciding where to live.

My husband's trade is security and detention. Mine is anything that doesn't require education or skill . I'm sorry I didn't give a clearer idea of what I meant earlier - it just amazes me that anyone would consider a town with 10,000 or more a small town!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:04 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
You might like western Nebraska - maybe Ogallala, Broken Bow, Ord, or Chadron. (All under 5,000 pop.) Of course, the lack of jobs is the reason most folks leave Nebraska rather than move in.

If you're from Michigan, I fear you might miss all the trees. Nebraska generally is not known for a lot of vegetation.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
You might like western Nebraska - maybe Ogallala, Broken Bow, Ord, or Chadron. (All under 5,000 pop.) Of course, the lack of jobs is the reason most folks leave Nebraska rather than move in.
That's exactley what I'm trying to find out - we were under the impression that Nebraska, having the second lowest unemployment in the nation, would have more plentiful jobs. I'm not talking about high-tech, college graduate type jobs (neither of us are college grads), just ordinary blue collar or service sector jobs.
Please, continue the input - I haven't found out too much so far

Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
I think the unemployment rate in Nebraska is low for a couple of reasons: 1) There are plenty of jobs available in the Omaha/Lincoln area, and 2) Most Nebraskans (rural areas) were born and raised in Nebraska. They have a very strong work ethic, and in order to stay in Nebraska, close to family, etc, they are willing to take a low paying job. A lot of times they've owned their home for years, so they don't have a big mortgage payment hanging over their heads, and they know how to economize in order to get by. A lot of people in Nebraska raise gardens and can their own veggies, etc.

Don't worry about not being college grads. You won't find many of those kinds of jobs in rural Nebraska. In fact, quite a few people with degrees end up working in labor type jobs because they pay better than skilled labor. Try going online and looking through the classified in the local newspapers to see what's available as far as jobs. Generally speaking, you'll find mostly minimum wage service jobs, a few health care jobs, some clerical (usually at minimum wage), or possibly a job as a ranchhand or truck driver. There is an occasional "exception to the rule" like a nice job with the power company, but those are few and far between. Now if you get closer to a town of 25,000 to 50,000 (i.e. Kearney or Grand Island) then you'll have a few more options.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 PM

Thumbs up Gretchen B~~ thank you

Thanks precisely the kind of info I'm looking for. Anyone else have an opinion?

Old 04-26-2007, 08:49 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
Aurora is around 4,000 people maybe a few more, it's 13 miles from Grand Island to the east on Highway 34. The people in charge of the city and the business owners there are all about growth, it's definately a thriving little town. Very family oriented, definately worth checking out.

I had to laugh at the Ord suggestion, oh my goodness. That place is a whole new dimension within itself.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Honestly, its really hit or miss. There are tons of towns in the size category you are wanting and plenty of them have opportunity. Like most people end up following the jobs. People don't usually move to a town like Ord unless they have something lined up. It doesn't mean there isn't opportunity...it just means the opportunities are fewer and more far between than big towns. On a side note, I grew up in a town of about 100 people and was only about 20 minutes from Ord. Ord actually is a pretty neat little town. It is nice and clean and pretty progressive for a small town. There are nice fishing spots nearby with the Calamus and Sherman both nearby. Plus, there are dozens of smaller lakes and rivers in the area. If this is the type of thing your wanting then its worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska