U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 AM

40 posts, read 102,181 times

Advertisements

Wendy,
I spent two and half days in Sidney about 14 years ago. Given the old adage "different strokes for different folks", let's just say it wasn't my cup of tea. I doubt that it has changed much since then. Is your family interested in working for Cabela's, cuz that's the only reason I could see choosing Sidney over other small towns.

Look, I'm a fan of the state of Nebraska, and if out-of-state people want to move to ANY Neb. town for a new life and a new experience, good for them. I understand the appeals of small-town life that you mentioned in one of your posts, Wendy. Like I said, I try to be an overall Nebraska supporter, so I don't want to personally degrade and attack a Nebraska town on this board. Allow me to just say that if your family is intent on moving to a small town in Nebraska in the five to ten thousand people range....you could do way better than Sidney.

Good luck and stay in touch with us.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:55 PM

24 posts, read 72,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace View Post
Any good "artsy" coffee shops?
aaaaaaactually...there is a cool little coffee shop there, downtown. If you ask a couple locals you'll find it, there's a book store connected to it.

I don't live in Sidney but my big bro does. I live in North Platte, about 1 hr 45 east. I've been to Sidney a lot.

Also, it'll be fun for you to see how the TV stereotype for small towns differs. I think you'll be surprised by the actually differences and similarities. People are people.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM

18 posts, read 55,578 times
Thanks for all the responses. We are here and it has been interesting. We did find the coffee shop and bookstore as well as a resale shop, salvation army and a health food store. Everyone has been very nice and it has been lovely to be able to drive at 5pm without running into a bazillion cars. We have also been to Dude's (local steak house). Yum yum!

Housing seems to be nicely varied from completely run-down areas to fancy houses and everything in between, all in town.

As for why we're looking at Sidney vs. other places, we are looking at a possible job offer. We are trying to decide whether to take it or not.

We're still not sure whether we'll move out here or not. There are a lot of variables to consider and we'll have to get more details on the job offer.

Overall, I think its doable. It would definitely slow us down, we would eat out less and shop less. All good things. We shall see.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I'll keep you guys updated.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,292 times
I personally lived in Sidney for over a year while I attended college and worked as an Intern at Cabela's. As you now have seen Sidney is a unique combination of some real rundown areas to 300-500k+ houses. When I lived in Sidney and worked at Cabela's the company employed over 2200 people in the area, and there is very few other job opportunities within 100 miles. Pay in Sidney is pretty typical for Nebraska, in fact it is equal or even higher than other cities such as Kearney or Lincoln.

Sidney does indeed have a hospital, but if you have the choice I would travel to Scottsbluff (80 Miles), Denver, or Kearney NE (200 miles). Scottsbluff has an excellent medical center as does Kearney, but if your in an emergency I would feel confident in the care you could get at Sidney. And I know people mentioned driving 40-80 miles during an emergency....you wouldn't drive you would be flown via helicopter to the hospitals (Sidney's hospital had 2 helicopters in 07-08).

It is indeed a culture shock, even for a person who's lived in Nebraska all of his life. But I know countless people who moved to Sidney from Denver and loved it there. The best thing about Sidney is that if you want to go to a city (or mountains) you drive a couple hours and go to Fort Collins, Denver, or Cheyenne. All of these people who moved from Denver would go down there for a day or a weekend and think nothing of it. That is one negative about western Nebraska, you must drive to do anything.

Personally if I would get another job offer from Cabela's I would likely take it, but it would take a lot to convince my girlfriend to move out there.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 AM

9 posts, read 26,212 times
It is not a friendly town. On the surface, yes. If you are different in anyway, particularly if you are liberal, you will run into trouble unless you keep your mouth shut. If the job offer is at the community college, don't go. That place is toxic.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 AM

8,387 posts, read 8,721,554 times
Quote:
Thanks for your concern. You are right. I am trying to be upbeat about it. It will be a shock. I nearly cried when I heard the nearest Target is 1 1/2 hours away. I have three that I am a regular around here and at least 7 within an easy drive. Walmarts around here are Supercenters and I have 4 nearby! It will be a shock. I can't even find a consignment store, goodwill or resale shop!

I know making friends will be hard and that is one concern. My dh will get along just fine with the "good ole boy" network. I, otoh, am a bit different then most. Finding friends here was hard enough. I'm sure I'll have a very tough time out there.

Any good "artsy" coffee shops?

If you can become enthusiastic Nebraska football fans, you'll have no trouble at all making friends quickly.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 AM

18 posts, read 55,578 times
Thanks for all the thoughts and help. We have decided to stay put for now. We decided that the medical facilities were not sufficiently adequate for our needs.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 PM

241 posts, read 536,369 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the thoughts and help. We have decided to stay put for now. We decided that the medical facilities were not sufficiently adequate for our needs.
I think that is a wise decision. Nothing against Sidney, but I grew up in a small town very close to Sidney, and based on your requirements it was not going to be a good fit with your needs.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:31 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,590,913 times
Quote:
Did you drive up to Scottsbluff? It larger and from what I understand has quite a good medical center. It may be more to your liking and needs.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 AM

947 posts, read 3,356,371 times
It's too bad you wont be coming to Sidney. From what ive seen of it from my perspective, I liked it and would move there..its smaller, a bit quieter then the cities, laid back.slower pace of life...... in fact, I've applied for work there 2 or 3 times before and stay in touch every fe wmonths with the potential employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska