Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:14 PM

10 posts, read 49,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
we are native Californians, and were considering texas as a move, but with the high taxes and other issues, we have been considering NE as a future home...but I have heard that the natives will be hostile towards us...is this true?
I'm a CA transplant! I wouldn't say the locals are hostile, perhaps reserved until they get to know you. People here are far friendlier than in CA!!!! Hardly any fences, so you can easily get to know your neighbors. One thing you'll hear tho, time after time, is 'you moved HERE from CA? WHY????' ahaha.. I just tell anyone who still asks me, that CA is not 'the land flowing with milk and honey'. NE is a much better place to finish raising my kids in. Schools actually are ahead of CA schools, my sons had to spend an extra 1/2 year to year in order to graduate. That was because CA schools hadn't prepared them with all the right classes in order to graduate. But that extra year made them better prepared to begin college. It doesn't cost as much to live in NE, which is nice. We pay $400 rent for a 3-bdroom house w/finished basement and a HUGE livingroom, and kitchen. Gas is nowhere near the price in CA. A 'traffic jam' in the smaller towns consist of 10 or so cars waiting for the train to pass. Or a few cars stuck behind the occasional farm equipment moving down the road. If you don't like traffic, stay out of Omaha and Lincoln. Course, if you like buses, the larger towns have those, smaller towns usually. Course, it only takes like 5 minutes to get across a smaller town. lol.. The drive across is lovely! My advice, move here in the summer, not when it's snowing. More houses available then too. In smaller towns there aren't a whole lot of jobs to choose from, unless you have at least a Master's degree. Larger towns have plenty of jobs to choose from. I like the smaller towns here, it's wayyyyyyyy different from CA! Not as much crime as in CA, in smaller towns people still leave there cars running at the post office. (not the best idea I know, but this isn't CA). Larger towns such as Omaha and Lincoln usually have more crime than the smaller towns do, yet that's not any different than in other states.

When you do arrive here, use the word "pop" instead of "soda". If you move anywhere near Norfolk, just remember to pronounce it the way the locals do, "Norfork". You'll fit in a lot easier, these won't be like signs on your forehead that you're not a local. lol Sooooo c'mon, the more the merrier!!

Myst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 02:39 PM

149 posts, read 474,022 times
thanks myst! had to laugh over the names of towns...my dad was born and raised in fairbury, and he always made sure we said the town names correctly! I also already use the word 'pop', so that is one thing in my favor!...while out there on vacation once, we went to the town of Hebron...which I thought was heb-ron...but my dad corrected me by saying, 'he-burn'...and heaven help you if you miss pronounce beatrice!.. by mistake, I said it wrong to our motel clerk, and was curtly corrected!!...

the no fence thing sort of bothers me though, and I noticed that all through nebraska and kansas...even texas....I do love my chain link..keeps the neighbor's dogs and kids out..do people get offended if you put up a fence??..what about fencing in the back yard??..and yes, while eating at a restaurant in lincoln, the server asked us "why???" when we said we were thinking of moving there...thanks for the insight, and hope to hear more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska