Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
To start positive: Nebraska: Just abolished their DP. LGBT and same sex marriage OK. They also have a unique legislature that is "Unicameral" (One House) and the ONLY one in the 50 states, so no back and forth eg. House and Senate. In short IMO a very progressive state (and beautiful). It's also the home of Warren Buffet, a very savvy businessman.
Negative, Texas: (IMO) all of the above are cancelled out eg. or the opposite. Texas also starts (historically) most of our wars with their defense contracts connected to the country's war-machine. In "W's" first presidential debate (with Al Gore) he said: "I've been the governor of another country." Texas truly IS "another country" and would like too secede. IMO 2 states as they say like "oil and water."
That right there is why I have to ignore any of the rest of your opinion about the state.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Texas will not have enough water to sustain any kind of population growth 50 years from now period.
Oh really? Maybe in your dreams, but you don't know that to be a fact, unless you are able to look 50 years into the future and know proof positive that Texas will not have enough water to sustain population growth. I bet the same type naysayers were saying the same thing about Phoenix 150 years or so ago. Did it ever occur to you that human beings have a way of overcoming nearly impossible odds? Ever hear of "Where there's a will there's a way" & "Necessity is the mother of invention". Those are words of wisdom. If you think Texas is gonna fall by the wayside and stop growing because of no water, I'm here to tell you that Texans will not allow that to happen.

Honestly, I do believe there are just some people in this country who would love nothing more than to see Texas fail.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 01-26-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-26-2016, 09:23 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Oh really? Maybe in your dreams, but you don't know that to be a fact, unless you are able to look 50 years into the future and know proof positive that Texas will not have enough water to sustain population growth. I bet the same type naysayers were saying the same thing about Phoenix 150 years or so ago. Did it ever occur to you that human beings have a way of overcoming nearly impossible odds? Ever hear of "Where there's a will there's a way" & "Necessity is the mother of invention". Those are words of wisdom. If you think Texas is gonna fall by the wayside and stop growing because of no water, I'm here to tell you that Texans will not allow that to happen.

Honestly, I do believe there are just some people in this country who would love nothing more than to see Texas fail.
People use very little water compared to farming and industry. So what will happen is the economy will suffer when there becomes a fresh water shortage not the people. With the current growth in Texas in just the next 20 years the population will double from 26 million to 52 million and Texas will be suffering from this. People will have water to drink but there won't be jobs.

Where as Nebraska's population will remain stable through that time. at lass the 2.5 million in 20 years.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:55 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
People use very little water compared to farming and industry. So what will happen is the economy will suffer when there becomes a fresh water shortage not the people. With the current growth in Texas in just the next 20 years the population will double from 26 million to 52 million and Texas will be suffering from this. People will have water to drink but there won't be jobs.

Where as Nebraska's population will remain stable through that time. at lass the 2.5 million in 20 years.
Where do you get your information that Texas is predicted to double in population in the next 20 years? I know Texas is one of the fastest growing states, if not the fastest, but doubling to 52 million in 20 years? I don't believe Texas is growing anywhere near that fast.That would probably push Texas ahead of California in population, and I have yet to see that prediction from a reputable source.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Where do you get your information that Texas is predicted to double in population in the next 20 years? I know Texas is one of the fastest growing states, if not the fastest, but doubling to 52 million in 20 years? I don't believe Texas is growing anywhere near that fast.That would probably push Texas ahead of California in population, and I have yet to see that prediction from a reputable source.
Just to make you feel better, I refigured the population growth in Texas. I used Wikipedia info on growth and then used the most conservative estimate possible and the numbers are 43,000,000 people in 25 years. Ether way Texas will be the most populace state very soon and there is no sign that this will slow down. This does not factor in the illegal alien population that could easily increase the numbers by 20%.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 AM

232 posts, read 302,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That right there is why I have to ignore any of the rest of your opinion about the state.
Well that's fine. I know this isn't a political forum but the topic IS state differences and I've lived in enough states to know that the political life of a state permeates and influences the values of its' citizens and why we have Blue and Red states. When "W" said "he was the governor of another country" (Bush V Gore debates) he nailed it!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:11 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
Well that's fine. I know this isn't a political forum but the topic IS state differences and I've lived in enough states to know that the political life of a state permeates and influences the values of its' citizens and why we have Blue and Red states. When "W" said "he was the governor of another country" (Bush V Gore debates) he nailed it!
And when you said Texas starts most of our wars, you lied. And doubled down by implying that everyone in the state were a bunch of warmongers.

Enjoy Nebraska. I'll enjoy Texas. That's beauty of this country - we all find a place that suits us.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:38 PM

232 posts, read 302,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And when you said Texas starts most of our wars, you lied. And doubled down by implying that everyone in the state were a bunch of warmongers.

Enjoy Nebraska. I'll enjoy Texas. That's beauty of this country - we all find a place that suits us.
Touche. There is something for everyone in this grand USA. BUT....: LBJ: Vietnam; GWB: Iraq; and if you want to include WWII...Dwight David Eisenhower was born in Denton TX. I asked a retired Naval officer cab driver why it appears that Texas starts all our wars? His reply: "They like to fight." Enjoy your 'warmongering' state.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:17 AM

127 posts, read 134,570 times
On the misery index, which is worse - Texas summers or Nebraska winters?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:22 AM

It depends on where you are from. I have lived in Nebraska all my life and have developed a liking for temps in the 50's. So I would prefer Nebraska winters any time to Texas summers.

I have been to, and spent time in Texas during the summer and it was like hell to me. But the people that have lived there all there lives probably love the daily temps in the 100's. If they came to Nebraska in the winter would be shivering all day long and would be thinking that this was hell froze over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska