U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 AM

778 posts, read 1,232,319 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the political situation is like in NE?

I know the state usually votes for the Republican party each general election, but what are some cities and towns that are conservative, as well as some that are liberal ( or more than 50% liberal--if that exists in NE ) ?

A few friends of mine were having a discussion about this yesterday and they were saying that western NE ( like Scottsbluff ) is more conservative than say areas like Omaha? but I don't know that being the % of political party voters that vote one way or the other.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,838,173 times
That's probably true. Omaha and Lincoln tend to be more liberal than the rest of the state. That said, even Omaha and Lincoln are relatively conservative when compared to many other metropolitan areas. As an anecdotal bit of evidence, Omaha voted for Obama in 2008 and for the first time the state's electoral votes were split, with 2 going to McCain and 1 going to Obama.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:09 PM

778 posts, read 1,232,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
That's probably true. Omaha and Lincoln tend to be more liberal than the rest of the state. That said, even Omaha and Lincoln are relatively conservative when compared to many other metropolitan areas. As an anecdotal bit of evidence, Omaha voted for Obama in 2008 and for the first time the state's electoral votes were split, with 2 going to McCain and 1 going to Obama.

Thanks--that is what I was figuring too. Is Omaha the most liberal city ( outside of Chicago ) in the midwest?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 PM

852 posts, read 1,286,890 times
I wouldn't say that Omaha is the most liberal city in Midwest. And while they're probably the most liberal city in Nebraska, I wouldn't even label the city as being liberal. It is fairly conservative and the newspaper, the Omaha World-Herald, is pretty conservative. I think the fact that Obama won a vote may be a sign that things are beginning to change to some degree especially among the under 30 demographic. Still, the state as a whole will probably always prefer the more conservative candidate.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,838,173 times
Ya, I wouldn't necessarily say its the most liberal in the midwest, but I also don't think its abnormally more conservative than other cities in the midwest. I would say pretty typical.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM

370 posts, read 1,265,195 times
I would almost call Lincoln more liberal than Omaha...

Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 AM

704 posts, read 1,755,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
I would almost call Lincoln more liberal than Omaha...

I would agree with this assesment. I've lived in both cities. While Omaha proper is a fairly liberal midwest city, West Omaha is about as conservative as any spot in the country. Lots of bankers and Insurance people in Omaha, they tend to be very conservative. Omaha does have a more diverse arts scene than Lincoln, and of course those folks trend liberal. The state government and large University in Lincoln give it more of the liberal college town vibe. Much like Madison WI. Outside of these tow cities though you will find Nebraska is red through and through.

Many rural areas used to be more liberal, filled with "New Deal" era democrats but they have slowly died off and after Reagan sold off the family farms to the highest bidder in the 80's all their kids left to move to Lincoln or Omaha. Now the rural landscape is filled with mostly corporate farmers and the small towns with tea-partiers.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,875,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Thanks--that is what I was figuring too. Is Omaha the most liberal city ( outside of Chicago ) in the midwest?
Highly unlikely.
I'd give that title to Minneapolis, myself.
But there's Des Moines, St. Louis, KS City, etc... I'd put Omaha on the conservative end of the scale rather than liberal.

Quote:
Many rural areas used to be more liberal, filled with "New Deal" era democrats but they have slowly died off and after Reagan sold off the family farms to the highest bidder in the 80's all their kids left to move to Lincoln or Omaha. Now the rural landscape is filled with mostly corporate farmers and the small towns with tea-partiers.
Living in the rural areas, that's probably about right. To be sure, there are still plenty of family-sized operations, but they're losing ground.

People seem to have forgotten it was (and is!) the Republicans who sell out the family farm, small businesses, etc. They've been sucked into the whole "values" schtick and consistently vote against their interests, year after year!

~Erin

Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM

704 posts, read 1,755,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Highly unlikely.
I'd give that title to Minneapolis, myself.
But there's Des Moines, St. Louis, KS City, etc... I'd put Omaha on the conservative end of the scale rather than liberal.

Living in the rural areas, that's probably about right. To be sure, there are still plenty of family-sized operations, but they're losing ground.

People seem to have forgotten it was (and is!) the Republicans who sell out the family farm, small businesses, etc. They've been sucked into the whole "values" schtick and consistently vote against their interests, year after year!

~Erin

I would give you more reputation but it says I can't. So how about a pat on the back?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,424,776 times
Nebraksa as a whole is deep, dark red. Omaha is about 50/50. My view gets skewed sometimes because I'm young (23) so almost all of the people I know and associate with range from left to uber-left. Most of them are young, from the eastern part of Omaha, or are transplants from bigger cities. After I move to Massachusetts for school this year I'll probably never come back here and the political climate is a huge part of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>