Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 18,797 times

Advertisements

Uehling is Located 50 miles NNW of Omaha on Highway 77, and twenty miles north of Fremont. When you get here it is quiet, peaceful and some of the nicest people you will ever want to meet live here. They took this old Florida man in and made me feel as welcome as a long lost brother coming home.
Uehling just celebrated it's 100th year and we had over 3000 visitors to our town (population 275) on Labor Day of 2006.

Check us out at: Uehling Nebraska, The Little Town That Can (broken link)
Also you can find a lot of photos of the area and our town at my web site: T.R.W. Photography Studio
Yea I love it here and you will to if you visit us. You just might decide to stay a while.
http://uehlingne.org/photo/11.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 129,117 times
Yeah, it's great unless:
You actually want to get a job.
You want your kids to get a decent education.
You don't want to have to drive an hour to civilization.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 PM

WRONG !! Only 20 miles to shopping and the schools are only 5 miles away. Small classes and there are jobs available for the non-lazy types.

Down town Uehling. Yea we are small but great neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:27 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
Wow, that photo looks almost exactly like "downtown" Clarkson. Did they build all the small towns in northeast Nebraska on the same model or what?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,465 times
JDW123,

I went to a school roughly the size of Uehling and our average ACT scores slaughtered anything you would find in Omaha and Lincoln. The idea that the education in smaller towns is of lesser value is just not true. You have small classes and teachers who are intimately connected to the families. As a result, no one slips through the proverbial cracks. Granted, there are exceptions to this rule, but small town education is typically very good. I've taught physics at two colleges in Nebraska and the small town students did as good or better than those from the larger cities. Plus, a higher percentage of students from small towns go on to college. I think a lot of it just has to do with a "back to basics" mentality. I'm not suggesting there is an intelligence gap, but I am suggesting that the education system in America is failing the youth. We need more emphasis on math, language skills, and the fundamentals involved in hardcore science. I don't know how many kids I've come across who have said, "well, I've had AP physics". The truth is that a lot of this stuff is simply watered down and the kids just aren't held accountable...as a result they can kind of slide through...much like you can in a 300 person college course. In a small town, you might have 15 or 20 students in a class and there is a larger degree of accountability.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:26 PM

19 posts, read 105,381 times
Hay, I grew up about 5 miles from here. I remember 30 + years ago going to a cafe and eating Sunday diner, among other times in Uehling. I believe it was in the read brick building on the left hand side in this photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trwphoto View Post
WRONG !! Only 20 miles to shopping and the schools are only 5 miles away. Small classes and there are jobs available for the non-lazy types.

http://uehlingne.org/photos/11.jpg (broken link)

Down town Uehling. Yea we are small but great neighborhood.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:01 PM

There was a Cafe their called Linda's. The only one left now is of the left and is called Axils Corner or the Creek. Not a bad place to eat if you like home cooking and large portions. the folks their are as friendly as you can find anywhere and the place has the look and feel an old country saloon minus the sawdust on the floor.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 72,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Wow, that photo looks almost exactly like "downtown" Clarkson. Did they build all the small towns in northeast Nebraska on the same model or what?

Yes, how did you know?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:34 AM

16 posts, read 67,953 times
Hey, could a 56 yr old unemployed, has no drivers license person last in this town? It sounds like the peace I have been looking for-I want to go somewhere I can get a job, where people accept me for who I am and will give me a chance to prove my worth.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,833 times
Small town Nebraska, it doesn't get any better in my book also. Uehling isn't alone in that category.

Neligh is a fine town also along with many others.

Could a 56 year old driverless person make it? You bet he could. Consider Neligh if nothing else, jobs available here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska