U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM

209 posts, read 385,325 times

Advertisements

Check out:
crawfordnebraska.net and crawfordnebraska.biz

The pine ridge area is the nicest area in the state (IMO). Yes, I'm biased.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,628,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
Eh... I'd say most of Nebraska could be characterized as 'gently flowing'.

I disagree.
I've lived all over the state and even the "rolling hills" of eastern NE are full of craggy draws and deep creeks. I suppose part of the eastern Sandhills would fit that description and a few areas along the Platte valley... But beyond that? I dunno...
So far as the "gently flowing" hills behind my son, about two miles behind him, about where the edge of the horizon is, the world drops off into deep canyons! lol

But the area within the pic is indeed "gently flowing"

Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,966,039 times
Hey, it is I again, the guy interviewing at Mary Lanning Memorial Hospital in Hastings, NE. Can anyone one here describe the land and geography around Hastings and Grand Island, NE?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM

475 posts, read 2,090,276 times
Quote:
I've lived all over the state and even the "rolling hills" of eastern NE are full of craggy draws and deep creeks.
Now you're just getting 'technical'... I guess we could back off to the 40,000 foot view... and it's back to as flat as a billiard table. I think 'gently rolling' is generous (coming from the Missouri River valley at least).

Elkotronics... Hastings and Grand Island, being in the Platte River valley are pretty flat and featureless (to 'gently rolling' )... dominated by agricultural land.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:47 PM

76 posts, read 207,828 times
OH MY GOSH.......THOSE PICTURES ARE FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-17-2010, 01:49 PM

76 posts, read 207,828 times
Default Pictures

I'm new at this posting "stuff".....

I posted on quick reply....but should have posted here....

Your pictures are wonderful......thank you for sharing them!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:39 PM

8,217 posts, read 12,486,943 times
I lived near Omaha for a few years and liked it a lot and regret not seeing more of the state. I poked around a little, going to see the Cranes stopover and such. Still....I have a hard time with the comment regarding the high number of rivers and lakes per state. The Missouri and Niobrara are both borders. Other than that there's the Platte and....? There's that one big lake in the middle of the state that's been drying up. Seriously, water was one of of the things I really missed (originally from Michigan).
Not slamming NE, like I said I really loved a whole lot about the place, primarily the people. Night skies as mentioned was one. There is something magic about the open spaces combined with the low population. If something could be done about the ticks I might suck up how much the wind bothered me and retire there

Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,628,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Still....I have a hard time with the comment regarding the high number of rivers and lakes per state.
You've obviously never been in the western half of the Sandhills. There are lakes EVERYWHERE. lol Beautiful, clear, blue lakes.

Quote:
The Missouri and Niobrara are both borders.
The Missouri and Niobrara are merely the north-eastern and eastern borders. The Niobrara goes from the Wyoming line all the way to Lewis and Clark, though. There's also the Republican, the Dismal (gorgeous river, btw) the Loup, the Snake, the Blues, etc, etc.

Quote:
There's that one big lake in the middle of the state that's been drying up. Seriously, water was one of of the things I really missed (originally from Michigan).
That would be Lake McConaughy. But there are good-sized lakes all over the state! A listing of the public ones from Game and Parks: Nebraska Game and Parks Commission - Nebraska Lake Mapping
(Keep clicking. There's three pages worth)

You're right. You must not have seen much of the state...

~Erin

Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 PM

209 posts, read 385,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I lived near Omaha for a few years and liked it a lot and regret not seeing more of the state. I poked around a little, going to see the Cranes stopover and such. Still....I have a hard time with the comment regarding the high number of rivers and lakes per state. The Missouri and Niobrara are both borders. Other than that there's the Platte and....? There's that one big lake in the middle of the state that's been drying up. Seriously, water was one of of the things I really missed (originally from Michigan).
Not slamming NE, like I said I really loved a whole lot about the place, primarily the people. Night skies as mentioned was one. There is something magic about the open spaces combined with the low population. If something could be done about the ticks I might suck up how much the wind bothered me and retire there
Lake McConaughy is not necessarily drying up. While water levels have been at historic lows in recent years due to extended drought, the current water level is at 67.9 percent of capacity compared to 49.0 percent of capacity just one year ago.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 PM

696 posts, read 1,566,091 times
missouri river meets niobrara river

YouTube - missouri river meets niobrara river

This is at Niobrara state park at the group lodge, showing the beginning of the trail down to the Missouri river.

YouTube - gldownhill.AVI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or