U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Western AZ
209 posts, read 385,325 times
Reputation: 215

Advertisements

Check out:
crawfordnebraska.net and crawfordnebraska.biz

The pine ridge area is the nicest area in the state (IMO). Yes, I'm biased.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,628,078 times
Reputation: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
Eh... I'd say most of Nebraska could be characterized as 'gently flowing'.

I disagree.
I've lived all over the state and even the "rolling hills" of eastern NE are full of craggy draws and deep creeks. I suppose part of the eastern Sandhills would fit that description and a few areas along the Platte valley... But beyond that? I dunno...
So far as the "gently flowing" hills behind my son, about two miles behind him, about where the edge of the horizon is, the world drops off into deep canyons! lol

But the area within the pic is indeed "gently flowing"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Alamogordo, NM
7,442 posts, read 6,966,039 times
Reputation: 5192
Hey, it is I again, the guy interviewing at Mary Lanning Memorial Hospital in Hastings, NE. Can anyone one here describe the land and geography around Hastings and Grand Island, NE?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM
 
Location: west Omaha
475 posts, read 2,090,276 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
I've lived all over the state and even the "rolling hills" of eastern NE are full of craggy draws and deep creeks.
Now you're just getting 'technical'... I guess we could back off to the 40,000 foot view... and it's back to as flat as a billiard table. I think 'gently rolling' is generous (coming from the Missouri River valley at least).

Elkotronics... Hastings and Grand Island, being in the Platte River valley are pretty flat and featureless (to 'gently rolling' )... dominated by agricultural land.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 01:47 PM
 
76 posts, read 207,828 times
Reputation: 59
OH MY GOSH.......THOSE PICTURES ARE FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 01:49 PM
 
76 posts, read 207,828 times
Reputation: 59
Default Pictures

I'm new at this posting "stuff".....

I posted on quick reply....but should have posted here....

Your pictures are wonderful......thank you for sharing them!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 02:39 PM
 
8,217 posts, read 12,486,943 times
Reputation: 11155
I lived near Omaha for a few years and liked it a lot and regret not seeing more of the state. I poked around a little, going to see the Cranes stopover and such. Still....I have a hard time with the comment regarding the high number of rivers and lakes per state. The Missouri and Niobrara are both borders. Other than that there's the Platte and....? There's that one big lake in the middle of the state that's been drying up. Seriously, water was one of of the things I really missed (originally from Michigan).
Not slamming NE, like I said I really loved a whole lot about the place, primarily the people. Night skies as mentioned was one. There is something magic about the open spaces combined with the low population. If something could be done about the ticks I might suck up how much the wind bothered me and retire there
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2010, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,628,078 times
Reputation: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Still....I have a hard time with the comment regarding the high number of rivers and lakes per state.
You've obviously never been in the western half of the Sandhills. There are lakes EVERYWHERE. lol Beautiful, clear, blue lakes.

Quote:
The Missouri and Niobrara are both borders.
The Missouri and Niobrara are merely the north-eastern and eastern borders. The Niobrara goes from the Wyoming line all the way to Lewis and Clark, though. There's also the Republican, the Dismal (gorgeous river, btw) the Loup, the Snake, the Blues, etc, etc.

Quote:
There's that one big lake in the middle of the state that's been drying up. Seriously, water was one of of the things I really missed (originally from Michigan).
That would be Lake McConaughy. But there are good-sized lakes all over the state! A listing of the public ones from Game and Parks: Nebraska Game and Parks Commission - Nebraska Lake Mapping
(Keep clicking. There's three pages worth)

You're right. You must not have seen much of the state...

~Erin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Western AZ
209 posts, read 385,325 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I lived near Omaha for a few years and liked it a lot and regret not seeing more of the state. I poked around a little, going to see the Cranes stopover and such. Still....I have a hard time with the comment regarding the high number of rivers and lakes per state. The Missouri and Niobrara are both borders. Other than that there's the Platte and....? There's that one big lake in the middle of the state that's been drying up. Seriously, water was one of of the things I really missed (originally from Michigan).
Not slamming NE, like I said I really loved a whole lot about the place, primarily the people. Night skies as mentioned was one. There is something magic about the open spaces combined with the low population. If something could be done about the ticks I might suck up how much the wind bothered me and retire there
Lake McConaughy is not necessarily drying up. While water levels have been at historic lows in recent years due to extended drought, the current water level is at 67.9 percent of capacity compared to 49.0 percent of capacity just one year ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Northeast NE
696 posts, read 1,566,091 times
Reputation: 288
missouri river meets niobrara river




YouTube - missouri river meets niobrara river

This is at Niobrara state park at the group lodge, showing the beginning of the trail down to the Missouri river.


YouTube - gldownhill.AVI
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top