U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,107,920 times

Advertisements

I'm a total geography nut, it's one of my favorite things about America, the variety in the landscape. Please tell me what this state looks like. What are it's natural features? Are there thick forests or a lot of lakes? What is the Panhandle region like? Finally, why are Western NE's counties so large? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,928,791 times
A couple of quick answers:
A)Nebraska is loaded with lakes and rivers. One of the highest per capita of both.
B)The Panhandle is a semi-arid region that has Wyoming-ish like features: Buttes, large hills, Badlands etc.
C)Nebraska has a low percentage of forests as the state has been a prairie state. Trees can and do grow in this state with a few national forests and many cities plant trees all over. Arbor Lodge is from Nebraska City and is the home of 'Arbor Day'.
D)The very flat-land is noticed on Interstate 80, as the interstate is almost entirely in the Platte River valley. The state has very large areas of rolling hills, sand hills, and even some rocky-like hills in areas. Omaha is noted for being very hilly, which surprises almost everybody who drives in the city.
E)Western Nebraska counties are much larger because they are 'Frontier Counties'. In other words, the 30 miles in each direction from the county seat included too few people. In order to have efficient county government, the counties had to cover much larger areas. In the easter 1/5th of the state, you have a pretty densly populated region and smaller counties.
F)Other Notes: Niborara river is rated as one of the best rafting rivers in the US, the Badlands in the northwest are just downright awesome, the Sandhills are georgous as are the Loess hills in the east along the Missouri River. Chimney rock and some of the very neat features of the panhandle are cool too see.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM

76 posts, read 207,163 times
Outside of Omaha and Lincoln....what is great about Nebraska?.......

THE HUGE DARK NIGHT SKIES THAT ALLOW ONE TO SEE THE MILKY WAY, THE PLANETS, BILLIONS OF STARS.......WIDE OPEN SPACES!!! One can see from horizon to horizon!

Is it no wonder that Valentine's Merritt Reservoir has been selected as a site for a star-gazing party for amateur (and not to amateur) astronomers across the United States? THE NEBRASKA STAR PARTY held each year in late July through the first week in August.

My own back yard gives me a sky show many many nights throughout the year!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 AM

475 posts, read 2,087,379 times
As a past assistant organizer of NSP and frequent attendee, I can vouch for it's popularity... uniqueness as a summer activity for those new to stargazing. What makes Cherry County such a great place for stargazing are it's sprawling, far and few between cattle ranches... very few 'porch lights'. An upland plateau, it's also drier than eastern Nebraska... so while hot in the summer, it is a little more comfortable than other parts of Nebraska. The Niobrara River valley also makes the area such a wonderful place to visit, full of waterfalls you'd never expect to see in Nebraska (if all you know is I-80)... canoe/kayaking is considered some of the best in the nation.

The Nebraska Star Party

Wildcat Hills/butte country in western Nebraska

Big Cedar creek water fall near the Niobrara
http://www.michaelforsberg.com/gallery/images/018.jpg (broken link)

Snake River Falls south of Valentine

Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,610,285 times
I have years of pictures from all over the state, but these are a few of the ones I can find right now. lol

This is in the extreme SW corner (lots of sagebrush and soapweed, though there's not actually much of either in this particular pic!)

This is a ranch we lived on in the western Sandhills. (Ie, the BIG hills. This is actually a pic of our front yard/west end of Spring Lake in Sheridan Co.)

Nebraska is also home to more of these than any other state:

(center pivot irrigation, that is. Not bulls)

Though we do raise our share of cattle:

(highway 27, south of Gordon)

And we have a lot of big grass and big sky:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs226.snc1/7334_1159079455340_1178370542_30419500_5118862_n.j pg (broken link)

Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM

7,207 posts, read 6,840,608 times
It is beautiful, gently-flowing landscape. Very relaxing to look at and I'm sure it would be very relaxing to immerse yourself in.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 PM

Sorry so many of these have cows in them! lol I'm usually taking pictures of my kids, my husband, my horses, etc. and the scenery is secondary.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
It is beautiful, gently-flowing landscape. Very relaxing to look at and I'm sure it would be very relaxing to immerse yourself in.
I'm not sure I'd call it "gently-flowing"... My second pic, for example: The steep hill in the background is about 150 from the meadow up to the top of the hill.
The buttes in the western panhandle go straight up several hundred feet, and so on.
There are indeed areas of Nebraska that are gently flowing, but I certainly wouldn't say that describes the entire state.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:28 PM

7,207 posts, read 6,840,608 times
When I'm saying "gently-flowing" I'm meaning ones like this.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs226.snc1/7334_1159079455340_1178370542_30419500_5118862_n.j pg (broken link)

Now that just exudes slurpy relaxiness.

Last edited by elkotronics; 04-14-2010 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Need ta add some text.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:33 PM

475 posts, read 2,087,379 times
Eh... I'd say most of Nebraska could be characterized as 'gently flowing'.

Certainly sounds better than 'flat as a pool table'... which is how most I-80 travelers would probably describe our fair state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or