Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM

11 posts, read 66,594 times

Advertisements

matt, thanks for your honest opinon and again i don't mean to say omaha is the worst. I've only lived in seven other states compare to the other 44 states i have not lived in. I'm saying it has been the worst out of the seven states I've lived in. I was wondering if anybody felt the same. that's all.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,754 times
Oneperson,

The law you are referring to "to separate by race" was actually pushed by those living in the minority sections of the community. It looks bad on the surface, but the point was to give control of the school districts to the people who attended them. It wasn't meant to be racial...it was based on geography. In fact, if I remember correctly Ernie Chambers ( a very outspoken african american state senator) supported the bill. It caught onto the popular media (CNN, MSNBC...etc.) and they were misrepresenting what the bill was supposed to do.
IT WAS NOT BASED ON RACE AND THE PURPOSE WAS TO IMPROVE THE POORER RUN DOWN SCHOOLS.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:55 PM

11 posts, read 66,594 times
How is that law supposed to help? When I said racist. I'm not referring to whites, like a lot of people like to blame. Racist can be a black person, another Asian person, Latino, middle eastern and etc. In fact my experiences has been from other race too. I was just kinda shocked to have experience so many. I almost felt every race is up against each other.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:32 AM

176 posts, read 929,639 times
I really don't think that many people in America are truly racist. I think a lot of people have the "woe is me" cloud hanging over their head; a lot of people want to over-exaagerate their situation, or point the finger at everyone but themselves. Minorities in this country have more rights than I do- I've had minorities make racist comments towards me, too. OH WELL! Stop looking for trouble and worry about yourself and your life- the whole racism thing is over-exaagerated where I'm from, and I'm guessing it is in Nebraska, too.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 AM

259 posts, read 939,131 times
Originally by Oneperson
Quote:
most racist

You know what, is it just me or anyone else out there too but I've lived in seven different states and Omaha nebraska has been by far one of the racist city I've ever encounter. I feel unsafe! hey if you got a problem or question ask me why I think this. I've got many stories to tell. I am asian/ pacific islander and GEEEEEEEEZ I really think this is a big issue.
By Oneperson
Quote:
I have encounter several problems. One time I was enrolling at metro and the counselor refused to talked to me and put me in ESL because she assumed I couldn't speak english or is from out of the country. I've been here since I was a baby. So basicly, english is actually my first language and I can speak two others too.
How stupid! If you were able to speak English you should have spoken up to the counselor and told him what academic classes you wanted to take instead of just sitting there like emty bowl of Brown Rice!

By oneperson
Quote:
There were many time where I often here people call other asian around me and myself included CHINKS, SAY" CHING CHONG or talk to me in vietemese or other asian sounding language because they think it's funny.
I don't think Whites would do this yet alone speak to an Asian in Vietemese!!!

By Oneperson
Quote:
I gotta say you have to become another race in order to actually experience what it really feels like to be of a different race.
Oh yes so true! one person

Quote:
besides, does anybody know how that one law they wanted to pass out seperating race in school is still on? That's the craziest crap I've ever heard! That just proves my point of omaha!
What is so bad about neighborhood only schools?

Originally by Matpaulson
Quote:
Oneperson,

The law you are referring to "to separate by race" was actually pushed by those living in the minority sections of the community. It looks bad on the surface, but the point was to give control of the school districts to the people who attended them. It wasn't meant to be racial...it was based on geography. In fact, if I remember correctly Ernie Chambers ( a very outspoken african american state senator) supported the bill. It caught onto the popular media (CNN, MSNBC...etc.) and they were misrepresenting what the bill was supposed to do.
IT WAS NOT BASED ON RACE AND THE PURPOSE WAS TO IMPROVE THE POORER RUN DOWN SCHOOLS.
See Oneperson You have just proven what a obscure racist fraud you are! A matter of fact I don't even think you are asian or non-white. You are just a dum guilt consicious white boy who does not know how to stand up for yourself or issues concerning whites and complain against non-white immigration, Black crime affirmative action and all the rest! It is time for a white person like you to get two testicles or two chest cavities and leave that small insular rural Nebraska town and get out in the real world and do something for yourself! Jesssuuuuu

Last edited by Dee62; 06-12-2007 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 AM

45 posts, read 257,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racechick73 View Post
I really don't think that many people in America are truly racist. I think a lot of people have the "woe is me" cloud hanging over their head; a lot of people want to over-exaagerate their situation, or point the finger at everyone but themselves. Minorities in this country have more rights than I do- I've had minorities make racist comments towards me, too. OH WELL! Stop looking for trouble and worry about yourself and your life- the whole racism thing is over-exaagerated where I'm from, and I'm guessing it is in Nebraska, too.
wow..this whole discussion makes my jaw drop. who would've thought people in the US were still BLAMING minorities for racial tensions, claiming they had "more rights" than the rest of us. was the holocaust a hoax too?

scary stuff. i feel for you, oneperson, and my advice would be to get the heck outta omaha. obviously, its not the most open-minded place in the world. why waste your time arguing with people who have no clue what its like to be in your shoes, people who really don't care for that matter? this is such a big, fantastic country and there are SOOO many places that will welcome your unique experiences and culture. if these people want omaha to themselves so that they can live in isolation with others who come from the same cultural background, let them have their xenophobic utopia. seems to me that the US was built by people from all over the world who wanted to make a better life for themselves and their children..who knew there was a statute of limitations on that?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneperson View Post
How is that law supposed to help? When I said racist. I'm not referring to whites, like a lot of people like to blame. Racist can be a black person, another Asian person, Latino, middle eastern and etc. In fact my experiences has been from other race too. I was just kinda shocked to have experience so many. I almost felt every race is up against each other.
To the op, if you are telling the truth, just go the the west coast or northeastern u.s. (anywhere in northern Virginia and northward). Unlike my minority, Asians, especially Asian women, are usually very accepted in this region. Unlike in Nebraska, it isn't every race against each other or against Asians; it's usually every race against blacks.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 PM

59 posts, read 243,847 times
Mississippi ratified the 13th amendment in 1995. And if you need a history lesson, the 13th amendment abolished slavery. I am from MS and I love the state, but every state has its "problems".

Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM

176 posts, read 929,639 times
Yes, lululoo, minorities DO have more rights than I do. It's called affirmative action. Oh yeah, and how about free healthcare for illegals??

Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,754 times
Ok. This post has really fallen apart. Its turned into a nearly racist rant. I don't think oneperson is out of line by bringing up some points. To those of you jumping all over him then maybe you should walk a day in his/her shoes. I am a 31 year old white male who lives in Lincoln/Omaha. How am I supposed to truly know what its like to be an Asian in the midwest. Yes, racial tensions still exist and oneperson's experiences show that. I don't doubt the things he says. To suggest that you can't see whites acting like this is just ridiculous! There are neo-nazis in every city in America and they're white. My point to him is that the racism that he experienced is no worse in Omaha than anywhere else. In addition, I feel that the vast vast majority of Omahans are not racist...he only had run ins with the idiotic few.

And to those referencing "brown rice" and "speaking english" that's completely out of line...and you should be ashamed of yourself. I would also add illegal aliens have absolutely ZERO to do with this thread. Your inability to separate those issues displays the racist-like mentality that have been brought up.

I would also add unless you're a native american then you are a descendent of an immigrant...why people so easily forget this is beyond me.

And to those who think the idiotic posts by a few on here represent Omaha it does NOT! First, the people posting may not even be from Omaha...secondly threads like this sometimes attract bitter bigots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska