Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times

Advertisements

Good comments, Matt. Thanks.

And yes, a reminder to all: please keep this thread on topic.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,393 times
Exclamation If Omaha is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I've lived in OMaha my whole life and have not seen this as an issue...
as a matter of fact most businesses have affirmative action measures, and everybody I know are not racist..

Every city will encounter weird people, Omaha is not a small city anymore and yes Omaha's history a long time ago is a bad one for racism, but I do not see racism as a problem here, as a matter of fact international in-migration is the top reason for our population growth here, including hispanics, african-americans, middle-eastern people, and lots of asians, the growth of the white population actually is the slowest growing out of ALL the races that are measured.

What gets me is that oneperson has a grand total of 1 post, and that is to just inform all of Omaha that it's a racist city

Is NOT racist; They should prove it by relocating 100,000 from the Harlem and paying them to live in Omaha...

Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM

176 posts, read 929,701 times
How "diverse" is Lincoln racially?

Old 06-13-2007, 12:11 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
I don't know what Lincoln has to do with it, but I would say the diversity is pretty much the same in Lincoln. However, in many ways it may be more diverse due to the very large college population relative to a smaller general population. However, its not about "diversity" its about acceptance. A city can be 99.9% white and still be accepting of minorities. The question is how are the 99.9% treating the other 0.1%. That said, I still state that both Omaha and Lincoln, although not necessarily very diverse, are both very accepting of other races. However, I'm not suggesting there aren't isolated racial incidents.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:14 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
DeLasalle,

How would relocating anybody prove that Omaha isn't racist?? Besides moving 100,000 people (regardless of race) is just plain silly. Its not as though Omaha restricts people from moving to the city. Anybody of any race is more than welcome to move to Omaha. Have you ever been to Omaha??

Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 AM

11 posts, read 66,597 times
Geeeeez, this topic really went beyond the point..anyway I am a 22 asian woman. Usually, people treat me very fine around here, my point is to ASK anybody if they have experience more racist problems here then somewhere else. Period.

Dee- whatever

In fact I made complaints about it to the school, they didn't do nothing. And yes I did SPEAK ENGLISH to her Face. and she heard me loud and cleared. And no I do not have an accent.

(who ever)

whoever said minority have more rights, are you blind? in which state do you live in? That is hard to believe. Yes, i can understand that it happens to all race but get your facts straight.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 AM

11 posts, read 66,597 times
dee-

Why don't you go to place where people judge white or better yet paint yourself yellow, brown and black and walk around , you'll know know how it really feels. The fact that you haven't experience issues like this proves you got no FACTS and probably just want to screw around.

racechick-

illegals doesn't mean all minorities

Old 06-13-2007, 09:45 AM

176 posts, read 929,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneperson View Post
dee-

Why don't you go to place where people judge white or better yet paint yourself yellow, brown and black and walk around , you'll know know how it really feels. The fact that you haven't experience issues like this proves you got no FACTS and probably just want to screw around.

racechick-

illegals doesn't mean all minorities
I'm fully aware of that, thanks.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Matt I appreciate your post. Some of the bigotry displayed in this discussion is pretty frightening. As part of my job I lived for 5 years in Mexico and was treated fine by everyone down there. (And some of the larger cities in Mexico have incredibly cosmopolitan and sophisticated areas, but not to get off topic...) I met and married my wife in Mexico and we have lived in California, Arizona, and Texas. California is so diverse now that I did not see any racism to speak of. Arizona and Texas - yes. Typically those less educated and making less money were the most racist in their attitudes.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:03 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,554 times
Matt. Thanks for your thoughtful posts. I have also been apalled by some of what I've read, particularly the name calling, open hostility, and hatred expressed in some of these and other posts.

Thanks also to scirocco22, bil4, and oneperson for weighing in and pointing out the offensive nature of some of these posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska