U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 PM

20 posts, read 54,312 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am admitted by UNK today as a international student. I never been to US before, and there are limited information about Kearney.

Personally I am a BIG sports fan( football and basketball ) and I enjoy the sports atmosphere, and I'm ok with small town. I really want to know about the life in Kearney and UNK, I mean , how it might be.

Thanks a lot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,963,727 times
Well where are you from?

And Kearney is one of the nicer cities in Nebraska because of the University.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Well where are you from?

And Kearney is one of the nicer cities in Nebraska because of the University.
China

Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 AM

16,934 posts, read 22,067,195 times
I have friends in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area that I visit a few times a year. I enjoy staying in Kearney; nice town, friendly people. There is a couple sports bars there, can't think of the names offhand. Needless to say, Nebraska football is huge there as it is statewide. With pro football there is interest too, might not quite be on the level of college ball but it is there, trust me! Kansas City Chief and Denver Bronco fans are probably noticed a tad bit more (by me anyway) than other clubs, though a fair amount of Green Bay Packer and Minnesota Viking fans are there.

Sports wise UNK is in the RMAC division. (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference). I have friends who are with Mesa States baseball program (Mesa State is close to my area) , they are in the same division. They know several people of UNK's baseball program. For a smaller school, IMO they crank out a decent sports program. With their football program, it is a little more than decent. They finished 10-1 in the RMAC, finally losing in the second round of the NCAA playoffs.

Hopefully some Nebraska folks can help you with ??'s on the college in general. Good luck!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-02-2010 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I have friends in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area that I visit a few times a year. I enjoy staying in Kearney; nice town, friendly people. There is a couple sports bars there, can't think of the names offhand. Needless to say, Nebraska football is huge there as it is statewide. With pro football there is interest too, might not quite be on the level of college ball but it is there, trust me! Kansas City Chief and Denver Bronco fans are probably noticed a tad bit more (by me anyway) than other clubs, though a fair amount of Green Bay Packer and Minnesota Viking fans are there.

Sports wise UNK is in the RMAC division. (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference). I have friends who are with Mesa States baseball program (Mesa State is close to my area) , they are in the same division. They know several people of UNK's baseball program. For a smaller school, IMO they crank out a decent sports program. With their football program, it is a little more than decent. They finished 10-1 in the RMAC, finally losing in the second round of the NCAA playoffs.

Hopefully some Nebraska folks can help you with ??'s on the college in general. Good luck!

Thanks man! Appreciate the patience. And It's really helpful even though I'm not so into baseball.
(Why not "Triple H"? Ha)

Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 95,034 times
Default UNK/Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87504124 View Post
Hi everyone, I am admitted by UNK today as a international student. I never been to US before, and there are limited information about Kearney.

Personally I am a BIG sports fan( football and basketball ) and I enjoy the sports atmosphere, and I'm ok with small town. I really want to know about the life in Kearney and UNK, I mean , how it might be.

Thanks a lot!
UNK is my Alma Mater, and I've lived in Kearney and Omaha for about 15 years combined. Congratulations on your acceptance! Your question is difficult to answer because everyone's experience is different. What size town did you grow up in and how close was the nearest urban area (500,000 or more)?

Kearney has about 30,000 people in it, and the nearest urban area is Lincoln, which is a 2-3 hour drive away. Lincoln still isn't that big, and the nearest real airport and urban area is Omaha, which is 3-4 hours away. Kearney does not have public transportation, and since it is a small community, most of your activity would be centered around what is available on campus. If you have a car, you would have access to more opportunities; however, again, it's fairly small. Some international students have said they feel very lonely.

Many students find that whether or not they enjoy their experience really depends on the relationships they form. If you decide to come to the United States for school anywhere, I would strongly encourage you to get involved in as many groups as possible--international student groups are great as you transition, possibly church/religious groups, music groups, atheletics, intermurals, etc. I believe UNK's International Student Center is quite good and there are churches in the area that try to host international students or just college students in general. The transition can be difficult and having people to talk to about your experience is really important!

If you're concerned it might be too small (boring and isolated) for you, I'd encourage you to check out a more urban area that might have access to more of the sports you like--You can, of course, get sports on TV in Kearney, too though.

Kearney is quite conservative and not very ethnically diverse. The majority of the population is white, middle class, conservative Christian, and Republicans. Of course, as always, that is a large generalization and there are many people who do not fit that description. Because it is a smaller town, people are often friendly and go out of their way to help other people. Keep in mind, though, that since they live in the middle of a state that's in the middle of the country (Kearney is practically the center of the US), there are not many people who come from another country. You might find reactions varying from curiosity to warm acceptance to rejection because you are an international student. My personal opinion is that most people are very kind hearted and will be timidly curious about you and your culture. People might seem distant but it's often because they simply don't know what to say to someone from another country...

So, there's some of my [obviously very biased] thoughts about Kearney. Good luck to you! Feel free to ask more questions if you have them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska