Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,545 times

Advertisements

I was looking up Nebraska City Municipal code regarding animals and I noticed that while it talks about impounding dogs and cats, etc, and that in certain ocassions pets will be taken to the city shelter there is no mention anywhere of a Nebraska City animal shelter. Can somebody tell me if there is or does the city do like other small towns where animals are impounded by the police and either shot(I'm not arguing cruelty or animal rights etc) or taken out of town and release, or does NC use Auburn, or nearby cities that do have shelters?
I'm researching that point because we're considering moving to NC, I do cat rescue in Fairbury and must be familiar with city ordinances and how the animal issue is handled by authorities.
Thank-you very much!
Marta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM

10 posts, read 38,068 times
Marta,
I just moved back to Nebr City and do not know the answer, but you could call
James F Gigstad DVM 402 873 3402 at the Vet clinic in town to find out the answer.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,584 times
While the Vet may have info, you have to fine out from the city.
In our smaller town they are suppose to take them to the next city for impounding
but have shot several problem dogs on site. (While it was wrong, no one sued over it).

Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,545 times
<<In our smaller town>>

JustMe..do you mean Nebraska City? I heard from HUA in Auburn that NC doesn't have a city pound and the animals are taken to Hearts United for Animals (HUA). The police size them & they take them to Nebraska City vet clinic, the police has a key to it so they can go in at anytime. The clinic staff is very good at finding homes and if not they are taken to HUA.
This sounds very rosy to me but it is possible, I imagine they do put down dogs and cats at the clinic depending on their problem.
Sad about the shooting, I don't know I just assume it was a extreme case_though even so animals can always be captured_ I don't expect people to sue unfortunatly that's a characteristic of a small town. Wasn't even a letter abt it on the paper? Doesn't do anything but raise consciousness a bit and you've to start somewhere.
Here I wrote to the paper when somebody shot one of the feral cats we take care of. Sure, I know many cats and dogs get shot here and there but this was outrageous and broke the law abt firearms, it was a high powered rifle and they shoot a cat feeding at my husband business one block from the city square. I got phone calls, people I didn't know stopped me in the street to talk abt it. It probably was the police though, I never knew but the seed was sown.
I reccomend at least writing to the paper when cruelty like that happens, a citizen can say anything.. always consult the city ordinances. Good to keep in mind anybody can sue the city authorities too.
Anyways thank-you very much JustMe and SWademan for vet ph#..I'll give him a ring..thanks again!!
Marta

Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,584 times
No it was not an extreme case.
Someone dumped two dogs in town and the local police chief in Osmond, NE was to lazy to catch them and put them down with a 9mm handgun.
A handful of hamburger and some patience and they would have been easy to catch.

I am getting ready to move out of Osmond so I am safe to comment now.
(Yes they still run people out of town here).

The police chief had a back injury and is mostly likely addicted to pain killers.
He is so loaded most of the time he shouldn't be driving a car not to mention carrying a gun. Last winter the city put him on two months employment probation for backing the city SUV police vehicle into a parked tractor doing enough damage to it that the insurance totaled the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska