Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 AM

76 posts, read 234,609 times

Advertisements

Darrow....

About Runzas....I love them too. However, in York (where I frequent), I noticed this past winter that the meat filling was becoming smaller and smaller. I remarked about this to a few people....who agreed. I love the dough.....but, come on....WHERE'S THE BEEF???!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,099 times
Man vs Food should Travel to King Kong, a burger joint in Omaha, NE down the street from Rosenblatt Stadium. They serve a burger called the Super Kong, 4 1/2 pattys on a burger with all the toppings. I got stuffed with a Double Kong, a burger with 2 1/2 pound pattys and I could not imagine eating something twice the size of that, Thanks!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:42 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihateu View Post
Everyone here is so pitiful, Nebraska is a crap hole I just moved here well from Iraq (deployed) and I'd rather go back there

Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
ROFLMAO

Ya'll are sooo funny.

I am a fan of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, and moved to Nebraska from the land of Paula Deen. My (old) friends and I all agree - we know literally hundreds of restaurants on Hilton Head Island (resort town) and in Savannah, GA, who could use Gordon's help, and laugh (shudder) about them constantly. A fancy name or high prices does not portend great food. While I don't get much seafood here (which means I don't get too many cooked shrimp, lobster, or crabs that can bounce twice if they hit the floor) I do have some special places here that I like to eat. Most people here at least know how to cook a steak that doesn't have the consistency and flavor of a tugboat mat, and comprehend the Italian 'al dente' when cooking pasta. They also put darned near anything in a homemade runza, which makes life very interesting! Yes I realize that grassfed beef and farm-raised hogs do make a difference in consistency and flavor, but really... instead of marketing to Asia, the beef people ought to try direct marketing to the East Coast. Most restaurants from Washington DC to Orlando simply don't know what good beef is. I've stayed in Nawlins (that's New Orleans for those who don't know) a number of times, too, and have only found a single good restaurant there (Court of Two Sisters) all other famous names to the contrary. Like Ramsay, I am a fan of fresh, locally grown, and natural; not processed (aka prechewed) and frozen.

The Peppermill Steakhouse in Valentine has great steak, excellent babyback ribs, and their homemade breading on their fried fish dinner is second to none - and, no bones!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 AM

41 posts, read 125,677 times
There is a local place coming up on MvF Nation. I just saw it on the website for the establishment last night, but cannot find it right now.

Will update in case I remember/find it again.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:08 PM

350 posts, read 740,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
ROFLMAO

Ya'll are sooo funny.

I am a fan of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, and moved to Nebraska from the land of Paula Deen. My (old) friends and I all agree - we know literally hundreds of restaurants on Hilton Head Island (resort town) and in Savannah, GA, who could use Gordon's help, and laugh (shudder) about them constantly. A fancy name or high prices does not portend great food. While I don't get much seafood here (which means I don't get too many cooked shrimp, lobster, or crabs that can bounce twice if they hit the floor) I do have some special places here that I like to eat. Most people here at least know how to cook a steak that doesn't have the consistency and flavor of a tugboat mat, and comprehend the Italian 'al dente' when cooking pasta. They also put darned near anything in a homemade runza, which makes life very interesting! Yes I realize that grassfed beef and farm-raised hogs do make a difference in consistency and flavor, but really... instead of marketing to Asia, the beef people ought to try direct marketing to the East Coast. Most restaurants from Washington DC to Orlando simply don't know what good beef is. I've stayed in Nawlins (that's New Orleans for those who don't know) a number of times, too, and have only found a single good restaurant there (Court of Two Sisters) all other famous names to the contrary. Like Ramsay, I am a fan of fresh, locally grown, and natural; not processed (aka prechewed) and frozen.

The Peppermill Steakhouse in Valentine has great steak, excellent babyback ribs, and their homemade breading on their fried fish dinner is second to none - and, no bones!
Agreed went back to the East on vacation last month and found the beef to be lacking - had steaks on the grill and at the market and I was like whoa what these taste greasy and not very fresh. Granny I went to this City Market Cafe(?) place in Savannah and had shrimp and grits and collards and they were awesome. Other than beef I may not agree with you because I love Southern food and had great food on my trip but it was way too crowded down there, started to see the usual problems etc and was glad just to be a visitor. That said when I went back I also didn't see the big deal about sweet tea it was ok but I think I prefer pop.

Back to the topic. I think a Runza eating contest would be awesome - I love them but the best ones are usually ones that people make! The regular Runzas from the restaurant I agree are too small and I usually get 2 making for a $10 meal! That said I think they taste really good!

Man vs. Food in Nebraska wouldn't necessarily just be about Omaha as much as eating a giant steak, a bunch of Runzas, all you can eat Valentino's pizza, or BULL FRIES! That's right a bunch of hand battered deep fat fried beef testicles! For the squeamish I thought they tasted like chicken with a bit of an earthy flavor to them. Some cattlemen swear by them. In my part of Nebraska different towns have annual nut fries - they are not as good as a steak in my opinion but it is fun and allows us as Nebraskans some bragging rights!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 14,085 times
Another Vote for the Peppermill...

I prefer to pass the Bourbon and hit the Alley while in Kearney, and if still up for it after work I actually prefer to head down to Burchell's...

Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 AM

31 posts, read 85,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Agreed went back to the East on vacation last month and found the beef to be lacking - had steaks on the grill and at the market and I was like whoa what these taste greasy and not very fresh. Granny I went to this City Market Cafe(?) place in Savannah and had shrimp and grits and collards and they were awesome. Other than beef I may not agree with you because I love Southern food and had great food on my trip but it was way too crowded down there, started to see the usual problems etc and was glad just to be a visitor. That said when I went back I also didn't see the big deal about sweet tea it was ok but I think I prefer pop.

Back to the topic. I think a Runza eating contest would be awesome - I love them but the best ones are usually ones that people make! The regular Runzas from the restaurant I agree are too small and I usually get 2 making for a $10 meal! That said I think they taste really good!

Man vs. Food in Nebraska wouldn't necessarily just be about Omaha as much as eating a giant steak, a bunch of Runzas, all you can eat Valentino's pizza, or BULL FRIES! That's right a bunch of hand battered deep fat fried beef testicles! For the squeamish I thought they tasted like chicken with a bit of an earthy flavor to them. Some cattlemen swear by them. In my part of Nebraska different towns have annual nut fries - they are not as good as a steak in my opinion but it is fun and allows us as Nebraskans some bragging rights!
The Savemart deli on 11th & Cornhusker hwy in Lincoln makes a real good 'krautburger'.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Personally, I prefer lamb fries to calf, but both are yummy with cocktail sauce (no pun intended lol)

Old 09-19-2011, 12:37 PM

350 posts, read 740,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYNO71 View Post
The Savemart deli on 11th & Cornhusker hwy in Lincoln makes a real good 'krautburger'.
Yumm that sounds good too anything with beef and cabbage or kraut of some kind is good in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska