U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 08:31 PM

123 posts, read 376,389 times

Advertisements

Another topic made me think of this. Every time I go to Lincoln I notice that there more horrendous drivers there than anywhere else in the state.

It has to be a combination of small town people who aren't used to city driving mixed with Lincoln natives that drive like maniacs.

I drive pretty moderate a little above the speed limit but even then, I get some moron in a fat gas guzzling truck get an inch away from my bumper and then they try desperately to swerve around me and cut me off. Those are the worst, but the small town drivers, and especially the ones that come for the NE football game from the western part of the state can't even handle driving in Lincoln. I'd love to see any of those people drive in a city like Atlanta, Georgia or Indianapolis.

Florida drivers have a similar problem to Lincoln but on a way worse scale.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,247,238 times
Hard to say. . They get pretty nuts in Omaha too.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 PM

40 posts, read 102,185 times
What drives me nuts about some Lincoln drivers is their flat-out refusal to use their turn signals. It's like they think, "It's none of your business what I'm planning on doing with my 1.5 ton vehicle." They seem to think that turn signals are something you only use if there is a cop following you--otherwise, they are totally optional. It's not just out-of-town drivers from rural counties; plenty of these drivers have Lancaster county plates.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,247,238 times
People are just stupid. They have no problem endangering the lives of others because they aren't paying attention to where they are going, or following the law is too inconvenient.

Sometimes I really want to ask people where they are going that's soo important that it's worth putting my life in danger? Because that must be someplace really awesome and I'd like to be there too if it's soo exciting that you are willing to kill someone to get there. Oh wait. . It's just Walmart.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:52 AM

6,145 posts, read 6,841,914 times
I don't know about the drivers, but the lack of an interstate through the city is highly annoying!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:10 PM

40 posts, read 102,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I don't know about the drivers, but the lack of an interstate through the city is highly annoying!
Agreed. The city's street system infrastructure just wasn't equipped to ever handle 230,000 residents. They have built some good expressways around the perimeter of Lincoln that were built with the forsight of future growth (the south beltway, when it gets built, will be wonderful, too), but the interior of the city....ugh. It's basically just miles of stop and go, stop and go, stop and go traffic. My uncle once told me the difference between a city and a town is cities try to find ways to speed up their traffic, while towns try to find ways to slow down their traffic. By that measure, Omaha=city and Lincoln=town.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Water 1867 View Post
Agreed. The city's street system infrastructure just wasn't equipped to ever handle 230,000 residents. They have built some good expressways around the perimeter of Lincoln that were built with the forsight of future growth (the south beltway, when it gets built, will be wonderful, too), but the interior of the city....ugh. It's basically just miles of stop and go, stop and go, stop and go traffic. My uncle once told me the difference between a city and a town is cities try to find ways to speed up their traffic, while towns try to find ways to slow down their traffic. By that measure, Omaha=city and Lincoln=town.
That's a good way to look at it. I'm glad I don't live there. It would drive me crazy.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 PM

1,596 posts, read 3,185,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
OMG, are you serious? Do you really want an interstate to split up the city?

Anyway, about the drivers, yes, for the reason The_Sage1 mentioned - small town drivers that aren't used to Lincoln traffic. There are many of them, because that's where the main branch of the Univ. of NE. (Many of these students were probably at the top of their class, but that doesn't translate into good drivers. ) I agree with pheaton that they get pretty nuts in Omaha too, but IMO it's worse in Lincoln.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:46 PM

10,422 posts, read 9,459,026 times
The problem is...whenever you travel or move somewhere else the idiot drivers you left behind followed you there

Old 05-23-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
OMG, are you serious? Do you really want an interstate to split up the city?

Anyway, about the drivers, yes, for the reason The_Sage1 mentioned - small town drivers that aren't used to Lincoln traffic. There are many of them, because that's where the main branch of the Univ. of NE. (Many of these students were probably at the top of their class, but that doesn't translate into good drivers. ) I agree with pheaton that they get pretty nuts in Omaha too, but IMO it's worse in Lincoln.
Um, I honestly don't give a crap about Lincoln. Keep telling yourself it will "split up the city"...I'll keep enjoying my 20 minute drive anywhere in Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska