Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 12,701 times

Advertisements

As a new member of this forum I thought I would post my biggest problem with Nebraska.

In my honest opinion Nebraska is right behind Kansas in how religious they are. I am a devout Atheist, aka "Fundamental Atheist", "Confused Agnostic", "That Crazy Satan worshipper", "The Anti-God Freak", "Non-Believer", "That guy with a ticket straight to hell".

The list goes on, For a very long time. The crazy part is when I actually tell people that I am an atheist, They freak. The news spreads like wild fire and I am shunned beyond belief (No pun intended). Every single person I have told has turned their back on me or completely changed their views on me. I am instantly the dirt that they have the right to supposably walk all over. I see items all around me in the town I currently live in (Kearney, NE) and it just depresses me on how I am called the "Crazy Person" when I see Crosses and ten commandments by the roads, In the parks, and even on peoples property. I am told that I am not allowed to speak my opinion. I am told that I have no opinion unless I believe in god, and not just any god, but the one the person believes in. Everyone seems to forget that their are thousands of other religions out there with 1000's of other gods, But since Nebraskans like to act like "Fundamental Christians" if you say anything wrong about their god then your automatically slammed. Everything they say is right, You are wrong. Jehovah Witness's are everywhere, Same with "Jesus Freaks". I am starting to get that profile where if I walk down a certain street I will be able to hear someone preaching, On their lawn.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that has been treated this way, but anyway... Voice your opinion in this thread. I'm willing to hear it.

-Zook

Old 06-16-2007, 06:57 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,611,911 times
Well let's see. You live in Kearney so there's probably not a lot of relgious diversity out there. My mom is real religous but I don't really hear about any religion too much where I'm at. I have some dveout Christians in my office and they aren't bad about being holier than thou. They will sometimes say something about their faith or tune out of certain conversations. The only time I had anything really come up at work was when I was talking with another fellow co-worker about being gay and one of the Christian ladies went into how she didn't believe that was right. We've never had any problems. We still talk, work well, and that's all you can really ask for.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:07 PM

673 posts, read 4,064,355 times
I agree Nebraska is very conservative on the social side of the political beliefs espeically rural Nebraska and Lincoln which has a very large influx on rural Nebraskans. Lincoln is so religiously oriented even though the city has a huge budget shortfall I think they should have new street signs that have the holy cross on every one because thats how religiously conservative Lincoln is.

Omaha is more moderate socially however. Especially when it comes to social issues and issues of religion. Omaha has a very large concentration of social liberals living on the eastside that is not surpassed in the state.
I dont think people in Omaha really care about people's religious and political beliefs as of late they seem to be more into the increasing economic engine the city of becoming rather then worrying about theological debates like Lincolnites are obcessed with.

Lincoln is extremely conservative and religiously oriented. So many churches in Lincoln which is good because I dont like Lincoln and the more churches the better because churches increase Lincoln's already very high property taxes. I really hope they build more and more churches in Lincoln and they take up more and more space and then the property tax burden shifts more and more onto the extremely conservative, ultra-religious residents who live in Lincoln.

Just to tell you how conservative Lincoln, Nebraska is on social issues and religious it is I am originally from Colorado Springs and Colorado Springs is loud and proud of its conservatism they are vocal about it and I can say the conservatism in Colorado Springs on social and religious issues and conservatism-lite compared to what Lincoln is like!

I really hope Nebraska gets a really, really conservative legislature one of these days that doesnt believe in evolution and maybe then they can have tax cuts when they abolish the biology department at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. After all, Ive always thought its strange how Nebraska gets legislatures although conservative by national standards are far more mainstream then the electorate.

Even in ultra-conservative Colorado Springs socially liberal politicians are elected in some districts of the city, but Lincoln I heavily doubt they have had a socially liberal politician for a long-time.

Last edited by MattDen; 06-16-2007 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-16-2007, 09:45 PM

176 posts, read 928,562 times
Lincoln is extremely conservative and religiously oriented.

Even in ultra-conservative Colorado Springs socially liberal politicians are elected in some districts of the city, but Lincoln I heavily doubt they have had a socially liberal politician for a long-time.[/quote]

SWEET!! Another reason to keep Lincoln on my list of possible cities to move to.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:05 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,004,193 times
Mattden,

Seriously! Lincoln just elected a very liberal mayor. And, I would add, its the 2nd democrat in a row. Secondly, city councils and mayors don't dictate social policy....that's done at the state level. I have lived in Lincoln for 10 years and it is no more "religiously conservative" than is Omaha. Please!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:10 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,004,193 times
Zook,

I'm an agnostic and have never had any real problems. I grew up in very small town Nebraska, about an hour north of Kearney. Granted, in Kearney and the surrounding areas I would probably expect a few more problems with your "lack of religion", but in Lincoln and Omaha I seriously couldn't imagine an issue. If anything it stirs conversation, but not resentment...and that's a good thing.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:21 AM

673 posts, read 4,064,355 times
City councils and mayors do involve themselves with social policies its called zoning. High-density zoning is mainly a tool of social liberal mayors and low-density zoning is a tool of a socially conservative mayors. High-density zoning can swing city council and legislative districts to the left.

Seng was a very conservative Democrat in my opinion. She wasnt agressive for zoning upgrades which means she wasnt for increased density which sort of is a sign of social conservatism. Also the planning department under Seng was not into planning high-density devolopments around and she made clear that her first priority in her budgets was roads and not liberal pedestrian oriented policies like other cities.

Chris Buetler has only been mayor for a few weeks so to early to say whether he is a moderate or conservative Democrat on social issues. He does need to realize he has a very, very socially conservative electorate and in this town "family-friendly" words are the same as the words "tax cuts" back in Colorado Springs they win elections.

I dont know what his social legislative agenda over the decades was I know he has a reputation of a fiscal liberal but its a fiscally liberal city so he is on par with the electorate.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 72,593 times
I disagree. Lincoln is the most leftist part of Nebraska. I grew up there and know plenty of leftist radicals there including my atheist sister.

Zook, if you are going to stay in Huskerlandia, I recommend you move to Lincoln.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:07 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,059,474 times
Zook,

The people you are referring to believe in God, just as much as you believe in nothing. It's a direct hit to their very being to be told that you don't believe in God. To expect them to be accepting of your ways is just ignorant on your part. There are very liberal "open-minded" areas in the US why did you choose to live in Nebraska if you wanted acceptance of your ways??

Old 06-17-2007, 10:54 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,788,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zook View Post
As a new member of this forum I thought I would post my biggest problem with Nebraska.

In my honest opinion Nebraska is right behind Kansas in how religious they are. I am a devout Atheist, aka "Fundamental Atheist", "Confused Agnostic", "That Crazy Satan worshipper", "The Anti-God Freak", "Non-Believer", "That guy with a ticket straight to hell".

The list goes on, For a very long time. The crazy part is when I actually tell people that I am an atheist, They freak. The news spreads like wild fire and I am shunned beyond belief (No pun intended). Every single person I have told has turned their back on me or completely changed their views on me. I am instantly the dirt that they have the right to supposably walk all over. I see items all around me in the town I currently live in (Kearney, NE) and it just depresses me on how I am called the "Crazy Person" when I see Crosses and ten commandments by the roads, In the parks, and even on peoples property. I am told that I am not allowed to speak my opinion. I am told that I have no opinion unless I believe in god, and not just any god, but the one the person believes in. Everyone seems to forget that their are thousands of other religions out there with 1000's of other gods, But since Nebraskans like to act like "Fundamental Christians" if you say anything wrong about their god then your automatically slammed. Everything they say is right, You are wrong. Jehovah Witness's are everywhere, Same with "Jesus Freaks". I am starting to get that profile where if I walk down a certain street I will be able to hear someone preaching, On their lawn.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that has been treated this way, but anyway... Voice your opinion in this thread. I'm willing to hear it.

-Zook
Well Atheism is a religion too. But everyone has a right to believe in whatever they want. I think it seems like you're less tolerant of believers than they are of you. I live in the Bible Belt (Virginia) and I happen to be Christian, but many people I know aren't and they don't seem to mind me being one and I dont mind what they are. If you have that much of a problem with people of faith, then maybe it lies with you and not them.

Why should it bother you so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska