U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM
C&J C&J started this thread

1 posts, read 7,105 times

Advertisements

Hi all - we've purchased a lot at the Humboldt River Ranch Assoc, in Lovelock, NV. Will be building a home there and intend to retire there in the next 5 yrs. Wondered what the Lovelock area is like? Is this area good for gardening (fruit trees, flowers, vegetables)? Since there is the Rye Patch Reservoir nearby, is it good for boating? What's the average rainfall like? I thought I read it gets maybe an inch a year - is this correct? What's the shopping like for groceries? Is a Costco in any of the major cities nearby? Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Regards from California - but Nevada-bound!
Judy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 02:54 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,688,562 times
Did you visit the Humboldt River Ranch area first? There's not much there - out in the middle of no-where. Yes, there is boating and fishing at Rye Patch Res. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there year round. There's not much to recommend Lovelock (pop about 2000). Much of the downtown area is boarded up and the the only market is a small Safeway. The nearest Costco is probably in Reno - about 110 miles away. Much of the economy in northern Nevada depends on mining which goes through boom and bust cycles. Check out Winnemucca (pop about 7000) and a short drive to Rye Patch Res. It's a small town, but there are things to do there. They even have a Wal-Mart.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 23,239 times
Cool A Town Is What You Want It To Be

Moved from Las Vegas to Lovelock in '05, and just finished our new home here in Lovelock.

We love the town, the people, the train, and since we are retired, it's the perfect place for us. Anywhere you move to is what you want to make of it.

We chose to be in town for the amenities of the new subdivision we built in, but would have also enjoyed a ten acre parcel to put a large shop building on for our race car.

The area has a chance to grow if the local politicians get their heads out of the sand and welcome a few small or medium size businesses to move into the area.

Note that the "Yuppies" are moving from Calif. to places where there are trains running thru the town, so who knows.

Didn't look it up, but think there is around 6" +/- of rain each year, and spent all day yesterday getting the snow and ice off the driveways and sidewalks.

Always think of the "Glass Half Full, And You Can't Go Wrong!!!!!"

Old 12-23-2006, 10:40 AM

1,900 posts, read 2,009,379 times
Oh, my gawd,, there are wonderful places to buy, build and live in Nevada, But Humboldt ranches ain't one of them,, 20 miles due east over the mountains is a bit of heaven though.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 23,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&J View Post
Hi all - we've purchased a lot at the Humboldt River Ranch Assoc, in Lovelock, NV. Will be building a home there and intend to retire there in the next 5 yrs. Wondered what the Lovelock area is like? Is this area good for gardening (fruit trees, flowers, vegetables)? Since there is the Rye Patch Reservoir nearby, is it good for boating? What's the average rainfall like? I thought I read it gets maybe an inch a year - is this correct? What's the shopping like for groceries? Is a Costco in any of the major cities nearby? Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Regards from California - but Nevada-bound!
Judy

Don't worry about any "Half Empty" comments on this site. If you are going to build a home on the property, then that's fine, especially if you want acreage. If you are leaning towards a modular, then figure everything down to the last penny with your modular company and the actual contractor. That includes the well, the septic system, foundation, utilities to the actual modular, etc.

You will be surprised to find out that you can build a stick built home for the same price, REALLY!

Good Luck whatever you decide, and welcome to the area. We have received a very "Warm Welcome".

Old 12-23-2006, 07:03 PM

No,,, Humboldt ranch estates is desperate sagebrush flats, you could have a home with topography, PJ's trout water,, elsewhere in Nevada

And,, if you build a stick built you can expect to pay $200+ per sq ft.. Our modular went in complete for $85 per sq foot

Old 12-24-2006, 12:48 AM

610 posts, read 3,093,898 times
Think I've spent time in every town in Nevada and walked every square inch of it - deserts, mountains and all. Oddly, my favorite was Lovelock. There's so much going on in the other towns from active mining that they just seem so ... so ... detracted from. If I remember correctly, west of town a ways is access into the Golconda area - which is middle-of-nowhere stuff but covered with wild horses - and you can maybe go pick yourself some wild tourmaline and diatemaceous earth. Winnemucca does have the best omelets though and Reno, well, some folks love it. Be sure to take that boat on up to Tahoe in the summer. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2006, 01:15 PM

285 posts, read 726,454 times
Yikes,

If that's where I think it is I've got some swamp land in Florida you might be interested in.

Seriously, I did a fair amount of water skiing on Rye Patch back in the '80's and remember someone doing a housing development off of the road from I-80to the ****. I think it was called Humboldt Ranch Estates. Hope you like lizards and alkaline, although it may have improved over the last 30 years. Also, with the droughts the west has experienced over the last decade, I'm not sure if you can always count on enough water in the resevior for recreation. Lovelock is 20 minutes away and I think it still has a Safeway they've been trying to close for the last 50 years. Winnemucca is 40 minutes away with some restaurants and entertainment but not much.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:27 PM

That was it, the chunk of land they are moving to does not have much to recommend it. bad water, windy, no trees, sage and alkali. Sad, since there are so many truly fine areas in Nevada.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:58 AM

4,754 posts, read 16,559,740 times
I guess there is a place for everyone, but Lovelock? Now that's a complete shock. Don't mean to put down anyone who lives there, but anytime I've been through it wasn't doing much to impress me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada