Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,106 times

Advertisements

yes...i know both are remote and have long, cold winters. other than drive up there, is there any other way to find out about lots or homes.? i plan to go up and investigate myself, but due to upcomming surgery i have to put it off for a few months. are there any manufactured homes going in up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
There are, if you have the land.
Jarbidge is cut off from Nevada most of the year, two weeks ago the road from Elko was still closed due to snow. It is on a one lane dirt road, and most of the year must be accessed from Idaho. It is one road, homes on both sides in a narrow canyon, about 20 people live there year round. Shopping, Medical etc will be in Twin Falls well over 100 miles away. Same with Mountain City except you will shop in Elko. Mountain City is on a paved road.

Unless you are very familiar with rural Nevada, you have no concept of how remote, remote Nevada is. These areas are beautiful, but, you are on your own. Neighbors will be a blessing and a curse, they will be closer to you than your husband. Which is fine for the good ones, but, you don't get to make the choice.

I, while I like the two towns would not live in either. Jarbidge lots are old style mining town lots, very small, you have no privacy. Mountain City is better, bigger lots. The gas station/grocery store, and the restaurant attached to the motel are closed on Sundays, which leads me to believe the town is Mormon. There may be a couple of hundred people in Mountain City, but there may only be 50, it is very small.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:15 AM

ty for responding guide, as i hoped that u would. well, i have been out to berlin and would love to live out there. i am used to traveling a bit to get groceries and such, but did it on a paved road out in sw kansas. had to drive an hour just to get to a walmart, three hours to get to the va hospital. i have lived in reno for a yr now and havent met anyone. i prefer it that way. i guess i am somewhat of a hermit.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 PM

Becky, you are a single woman? You would find yourself popular, perhaps too popular, guys crawling through the furnace ducts to get to you. The standard recreation in places like jarbidge is the combination bar/restaurant, a lot of drinking.

Ione, which is the inhabited town near Berlin would be similar, but much closer to civilization.

The mountains north of Elko are pretty close to the emptiest land America has. I spent a week up there, drove 400 miles on dirt roads and trails, and saw no one, except near communities. In Mountain City I saw one person, that was it. Guess the others are hiding.

If I were you, you are young, and still hopefully fairly fit, I would look for land, some acreage near Mountain City. Great old ranches. Bing Crosby had a ranch near Mountain City. The land is spectacularly beautiful. Much greener than the Sierra in places.

Go to Google images and enter Jarbidge, and Mountain City, two different searches, you will see some great photos.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:33 PM

i have done the google thing. hmmm, funny how i read about these small towns in this forum and that they are filled with mormons and yet they have bars and drunks...meth lab in caliente? sounds like those mormons know how to have a good time!

Old 07-04-2007, 05:00 PM

Historically the Mormons were in the valley towns, the Gentiles in the mining towns in the hills. Panaca for instance was pure Mormon, Pioche up the hill pure gentile. The Mormons disliked mining for the corrupt ways it brought, but they loved the market for fresh beef and vegetables.

Generally today the old families in many of the towns are Mormon and the newcomers gentile. The new comers are the ones with the corrupt ways.

Meth Labs are everywhere, Meth and meth users are pretty far down my list of things to worry about.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:09 PM

i used to be married to a minister. wonder what they would say about that? drinking and drugs are not a part of my lifestyle.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:58 PM

Which, the gentiles or the Mormons? The Mormons like recruiting, if you were or are a more mainstream Christian it bothers them not at all. I don't know the current rules, but a few years ago Mormons did not drink coffee or cola, but apparently they did drink Mormon tea, ephedra.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 PM

hmmm, i didnt know that about the ephedra...interesting. i believe in God and i have my own personal feelings about religion. not interested in organized religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada