Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times

Advertisements

I think it is bizarre that there is this reputation for Reno being very windy. It is windy sometimes, just like anywhere else. I was in the Bay Area to day and nearly got blown off the Benicia Bridge. People would avoid the bay area because it has an onshore flow?

There are places in Reno where the afternoon breeze picks up greater than others, but if it wasn't for the breeze the heat would be stifling, and sailing would suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times
Default Reno

I just moved to Reno a few weeks ago from ID. I must say it was a culture shock for me for the first couple weeks but now that we have been here almost a month I finally feel a little more comfortable.
The weather has been just wonderful! there is a constant breeze and at times windy but it makes the 95 degree days not seem so hot. It cools off in the evening and it is has been SUNNY everyday since we moved
Everyone says there is lots to do and I know that but it really came to light when we invited friends for the weekend and realize that we can take them to do so many fun things.
To me Carson City seems like a small Reno (just drove through) I did see what looked to be a really nice medical center.
The scenery is something that I am really beginning to enjoy, the rolling desert hills and beautiful mountains of the Sierras really give you a variety of beauty.
It seems like many areas in Reno are very self contained you really don't need to go far to do all your daily shopping.
We will see what winter has to offer I am sure it will be nothing compared to Northern Idaho and from what I hear the sun even shines then.
Good luck on your move!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,474 times
glad that things are working out for u!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
glad that things are working out for u!
Hi Verynicebecky,
Thanks, so far so good ~ thank God!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 PM

i was begining to worry about u.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:32 AM

76 posts, read 362,756 times
Default Wind HAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I think it is bizarre that there is this reputation for Reno being very windy. It is windy sometimes, just like anywhere else. I was in the Bay Area to day and nearly got blown off the Benicia Bridge. People would avoid the bay area because it has an onshore flow?

There are places in Reno where the afternoon breeze picks up greater than others, but if it wasn't for the breeze the heat would be stifling, and sailing would suck.

You are right GBG... just like everywhere. Though I havent experienced it yet, I doubt that its windier than a lot of other places, like Chicago they don't call it the Windy City for nothing, try walking on an icy sidewalk in the wind, Boulder gets its share of wind due to the vacuum affect in the Boulder Valley, the Santa Anas and Spring winds in Southern California. What about Nebraska and the other Great Plains states?

Whats a little wind among friends? LOL Wind HAH! I laugh in the face of wind...LOL... but keep my mouth closed and turn my back into it.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnia View Post
You are right GBG... just like everywhere. Though I havent experienced it yet, I doubt that its windier than a lot of other places, like Chicago they don't call it the Windy City for nothing, try walking on an icy sidewalk in the wind, Boulder gets its share of wind due to the vacuum affect in the Boulder Valley, the Santa Anas and Spring winds in Southern California. What about Nebraska and the other Great Plains states?

Whats a little wind among friends? LOL Wind HAH! I laugh in the face of wind...LOL... but keep my mouth closed and turn my back into it.
Naw....the Great Plains doesn't get wind......I was 21 before I learned to walk upright without leaning into the wind.....never saw the snow fall out of the sky til then either....it always bew down from Wyoming

Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 PM

lol. the trees in oklahoma dont grow upright...they all lean due to the blowing wind. coulda used some wind down here in reno this morn to blow out some brown haze.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:34 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
lol. the trees in oklahoma dont grow upright...they all lean due to the blowing wind. coulda used some wind down here in reno this morn to blow out some brown haze.
In Eastern Colorado they grow straight cause the wind blows from the N for half the day then from the S for the other half.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Naw....the Great Plains doesn't get wind......I was 21 before I learned to walk upright without leaning into the wind.....never saw the snow fall out of the sky til then either....it always bew down from Wyoming
That is true! Cheyenne used to be on the western side of the state The wind blew it east. Lol. We have a joke here in Cheyenne, Nebraska sucks and that is why it is so windy. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada