Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:02 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times

Advertisements

The biggest water problem in Nevada is not the mines, but Las Vegas and Reno. A rancher today has a tough time economically, hard to blame them for selling their water rights... But it is Vegas that wishes to acquire vast amounts of water.

Remember, that if you move to interior Nevada, take a woman with you, in fact, take most of what is important to you... Unless you enjoy basque food,, you won't find a good restaurant.

There is nothing like Jocko's, Far Western Tavern, Hitching Post, even though it is ranch country,,, they don't eat too well in Nevada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
And it is Las Vegas that will acquire vast amount of water. I am skeptical that it is enough. What really needs to happen is to allow Vegas to buy agricultural water from Ca. Everybody makes out. But the water gods would be offended so it may never happen.

The SNWA water grab by the way was one of the great coups of our time. The filed for virtually all available water in southern Nevada is a single day. They could not take two because once the first claim was filed they had only hours until every county in the state would have filed claims.

A really awful thing to do...but brilliant. Nevada water law...as written and enforced... was followed. Now we have to go through the process to see where it all ends up.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:05 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
We are also trying to relocate, we are from Minnesota and are checking on low income states out west, we thought Cheyenne Wyoming, Colorado and I guess I will have to mention NM to my husband, we never thought about that. We love the mountains and love Colorado but we have to find a place we can afford. If anyone has ideas e-mail them to me at rdtbrandsoy@web-room.net, we have a family of three, my daughter is 12 so we will be needing a good school also. Thanks!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 AM

75 posts, read 410,072 times
Exclamation Cost of living in CO & NM

I have lived in Colorado Springs, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe.
Colorado Springs seems to have the most housing choices and CO has lower taxes, but the winters are colder and more snow then the 2 NM cities.
Albq/Santa Fe have dry climates and little snow, although SF has a ski area a few miles outside of the city. Santa Fe housing is much higher then Albq., the summers are a few degrees cooler and the winters tend to be about 8 or so degrees colder per day.
We had high cooling and heating costs in Colorado Springs, small heating bills but larger cooling costs in Albq and low cooling costs, but high gas bills (some but not all) winters in Santa Fe.
Albq home prices are lower than Santa Fe and the Springs are a bit lower still, but Albq prices have been rising the last 3 years. I am not sure how fast the Springs prices have been going up.
Both the Springs and Albq have some serious bad rush hour traffic, Santa Fe has no where near as bad traffic. Of the three cities, EVERYTHING costs more in Santa Fe, Gas, food, housing, taxes etc.
Finally, the Springs has a lower crime rate.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 PM

6 posts, read 29,214 times
Default Reno has a very mild climate.

No. Reno does not get anywhere near the winter that is common in Buffalo, NY.
Reno is on the rain shadow side of the Sierra Nevada mountains. While the Sierra usually collects many feet of snow in the winter, Reno seldom has enough snow to merit shoveling the walk. Any snow that does fall usually melts by mid-morning.
Of course there may be the odd winter when Reno might catch a raging snow storm. But that hasn't happened in many years.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:26 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
At least not since winter before last.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 19,410 times
Try Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site and www.moving.com for COL info

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 07:10 AM..

Old 12-21-2006, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 20,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC View Post
I am retiring in 22 months, and I am in the initial stage of planning a move from San Diego to one of those four states: Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, or Arizona. Not counting the initial price of buying property, which of those four states would have the lowest cost of living? Is there a good Internet site with cost of living comparisons?

JLC
JLC,

I am also retiring in June 2008 and thinking of moving away from the Rocky Mountains ski resorts area. I have been looking at adult communities in AZ and in Henderson, NV. The initial cost of housing and cost of living are cheaper in both locations compare to Colorado. My concerns are hot summers, crime rates, snakes and scorpions as I have a small dog. I would appreciate some insights from anyone who has experience with the DelWebb Adult Communities in either NV or in AZ, or both. I am also an avid tennis player and wants to live in a rather active adult community. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauyeung View Post
My concerns are hot summers
As your research has probably already indicated . . June-September afternoon highs at the lower elevations in southern Nevada often exceed 110 degrees Fahrenheit . . the optimal hours for summer outdoor activity are just after sunrise. Google suncitymesquite for another Del Webb option . . also coyotesprings.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,231 times
We have lived in many states, including Alaska and are now considering a move to New Mexico. I was born there and have a relative living in Santa Fe - EXPENSIVE! Albuquerque is nice but Hispanic gangs are rampant. One place not mentioned but extremely nice with a low cost of living is Ruidoso. We go there often and love it. Someone mentioned a high level of humidity in the summer in New Mexico - there is a bit in Carlsbad but it is very low elsewhere - New Mexico is actually a very dry state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada