Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 PM

8 posts, read 15,605 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I've read your comments on Nevada, and while I was considering it before, I am even more inclined to move there now.

I am a disabled (not immobile) Vet who had to leave the work-force early and now must subsist on SocSec.
Happily, I am single now, and don't need need a lot to manage. But a move is still a BIG deal for me, and I could sure use some suggestions on where a guy might find a quaint Town where the rent ain't "too damn high", the cost of living is manageable, and the folk are genuine Americana.

Minden and Gardnerville kinda appeal to me, as I have no problems with snow. As a Vet, I'd like to not be too far from any Vet related groups and activities.

As long as I am making a "Wishlist" of sorts - Perhaps we could throw in a merry middle-aged rich widow? Well, okay, not "needed" but I had to ask.

Thank you for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,360,443 times
long as you have the money to live here you are fine just be sure you can afford it and have a steady income that will allow you to afford NV.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
If money is an issue, checkout Winnemucca or Elko. Cheaper than Minden and Gardnerville. Winnemucca Convention & Visitors Authority

Old 09-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
If money is an issue, checkout Winnemucca or Elko. Cheaper than Minden and Gardnerville. Winnemucca Convention & Visitors Authority
he is a disable vet so I am sure he wants to be near a VA hospital. Best he stay in the Reno/Carson Code.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
There is a VA clinic in Elko and in Winnemucca. Elko is one of the finest small towns in America.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 AM

that is good to know that they have clinics for vets in those areas was not aware of that.

another thing is I hear it is very hard to find rentals in WInny not sure about Elko.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
The clinics are good, Elko is connected with Salt Lake City VA hospital, Winnemucca, likely Reno, they probably offer free transportation for those who need to go to the big city.

I like my VA.

I have no info on rentals.. Elko also includes Spring Creek, a spread out subdivision town.

My wife grew up in Elko, she has fond memories of it, where else can kids pedal their bicycles past a cathouse on the way to Arctic Circle!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:57 PM

402 posts, read 1,528,841 times
I can't speak to the Winnemucca situation, but I am sure it's very similar to Elko, where high metals prices have driven demand for workers for the mines and with that, demand for housing, especially rentals. It's not easy to find somewhere to rent right now, and the prices have gone up quite a bit the last few years. Check out the Elko Daily Free Press at elkodaily.com or craigslist has a Elko portal as well that can give you some ideas for housing prices in that area.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM

Default RE: Thanks for the Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Thanks so much! I will definitely use your link.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Thanks for all the good info

Really appreciate all the help offered here. Thanks Friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada