Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which pronounciation of Nevada do you prefer?
Short "a" sound, similar to "ahh" 13 30.95%
Longer "a" sound, similar to the "a" apple. 29 69.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times

Advertisements

I from Texas and grew up speaking Spanish as as second language so I pronounce Ne-vah-da. I do, however, prefer people to say "Las Vegas" and not just "vegas".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
I from Texas and grew up speaking Spanish as as second language so I pronounce Ne-vah-da. I do, however, prefer people to say "Las Vegas" and not just "vegas".
That's like saying 'frisco or San Fran.. few things will drive a local crazier lol

Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
It does to the Native and LONG term Nevadans....

it is NEV ADD AH

Any other way will get you some dirty looks.....

Sorry guys, don't mean to sound inhospitable but it it NEV ADD AH
Eggsactly. You don't insult people in San Francisco by calling it Frisco, you don't say someone is Eyetalian (it's IT talian), you don't tell a Bostonian he's from "Bean-town", and you don't want to insult Nevadans by calling it Ne vah duh. I make it a point to correct people that mispronounce it. They ask me about Ne vah duh, and I say, I don't know where that is, I live in Ne vaa da. I don't care if they don't like it. They don't seem to care if they insult me by mispronouncing it. And, yes, we all know that the Spanish pronunciation is Ne vah duh. But we speak Ne vaa dan here. The ones that really make me want to slap them are the one's, like my big sister, that argue that I, who has lived here 49 years, don't know how to pronounce it correctly. If you say Ne vah da you think you are sounding learned, but you are only sounding stupid to us.

Now, about the difference between Que lin ary and Call lin ary. Do you really think we don't know we're intentionally mispronouncing it for a reason?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I pronounce it "Sin City" or "The Valley" or "LV" or "Vegas". The state name does not matter.

But seriously...

I have been corrected once. I just shrugged my shoulders and told the lady "I am new here".

"Nevaida"
The state sure as he** does matter. And by the way, it's LAS Vegas. And a city, or a county, is not a state. The State of Nevada is the mother. The towns are her children.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:

Isn't that the truth!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I from Texas and grew up speaking Spanish as as second language so I pronounce Ne-vah-da. I do, however, prefer people to say "Las Vegas" and not just "Vegas".
Just curious: Do you speak Spanish, or Tex-Mex? There's a difference. I learned more Tex-Mex than Spanish in Laredo where 93% are Hispanic.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
I don't see the big deal with just Vegas. Using Vegas itself generally indicates some familiarity with the place and its almost like calling your friend John, that you've known forever, Johnny.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I don't see the big deal with just Vegas. Using Vegas itself generally indicates some familiarity with the place and its almost like calling your friend John, that you've known forever, Johnny.
John for Johnny makes perfect sense but Dick for Richard, Bill for William and Bob for Robert is just ???????

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
John for Johnny makes perfect sense but Dick for Richard, Bill for William and Bob for Robert is just ???????

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
Was actually calling John Johnny. The reverse of what you wrote. Not about shortening the name which is what were doing by just saying Vegas but more of a term of endearment. If that makes any sense.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Was actually calling John Johnny. The reverse of what you wrote. Not about shortening the name which is what were doing by just saying Vegas but ore of a term of endearment. If that makes any sense.
Oh...

I read it backwards...

I have been sandblasting all day, my mind is warped...

Plus it's my bedtime...

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada