Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt-Ice View Post
Winnemucca's economy is primarily controlled by the ups and downs of the mining industy, i.e. gold mining. Summers are hot, winters can be very cold.
Are there gold mines hear Winnemucca?

I was considering moving to Elko, then found out there is a major outrage over the gold mines there spewing mercury into the air and on into Utah and Idaho. The Great Salt Lake has high levels of mercury from that, and yet they keep on persisting. There is basically no regulation and any reduction in emissions is "voluntary".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 07:26 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
Your information is a bit inaccurate. Nevada has some of the highest levels of regulation of gold mining in the world.

There are no mines in or around Elko to my knowledge, the Carlin Trend which holds most of the gold is further west,,, Battle Mountain. The single biggest producer in Nevada is,, I believe, the Getchell mine east and north of Winnemucca.

Mercury is a problem. I don't know that the mercury pollution is worse than the pollution problems found in most cities, or the food we eat.

Some years ago, mercury was found in high concentrations in salmon populations on the west coast. Cautions were issued... Somewhere along the way, ancient preserved salmon were found in archeological sites... Same levels of Mercury as in the modern fish.

Two things to keep in mind about life;
1. you are not going to get out of it alive.
2. fear will do more to ruin your life than anything else (witness the current state of American fear vs a vs terrorism)

Just find where you want to be,, and have fun, and be kind to people.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:13 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Your information is a bit inaccurate. Nevada has some of the highest levels of regulation of gold mining in the world.

There are no mines in or around Elko to my knowledge, the Carlin Trend which holds most of the gold is further west,,, Battle Mountain. The single biggest producer in Nevada is,, I believe, the Getchell mine east and north of Winnemucca.

Mercury is a problem. I don't know that the mercury pollution is worse than the pollution problems found in most cities, or the food we eat.

Some years ago, mercury was found in high concentrations in salmon populations on the west coast. Cautions were issued... Somewhere along the way, ancient preserved salmon were found in archeological sites... Same levels of Mercury as in the modern fish.

Two things to keep in mind about life;
1. you are not going to get out of it alive.
2. fear will do more to ruin your life than anything else (witness the current state of American fear vs a vs terrorism)

Just find where you want to be,, and have fun, and be kind to people.

good post,so very true. i will write that down your two things to keep in mind

Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
however i didnt like winnemucca. its cold windy. dont care for it at all. very isolated, even though elko is closer by its not that close and there is not much at all in winnemucca. you are forever away from reno, fallon is far away and like i said the only thing close is elko and elko is not close to anything. besides that fact maybe you are looking for that kind of isolation i know i would love to move out away from people but, i would do it in a pretty place winnemucca is not pretty.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:

There are no mines in or around Elko to my knowledge
If that is true then I will love to keep looking at Elko. I was planning a trip there and cancelled it due to the information about mercury. Here are a couple of the links that I found.

Mercury exposure - Salt Lake City Tribune

http://www.greatbasinminewatch.org/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemi d=81 (broken link)

http://www.greatbasinminewatch.org/m...d=64&Itemid=81

If you have information showing that Elko is not being bombarded with mercury, then please do let me know.

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM

Jaada,

Thanks much for your feedback.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 PM

Default John

I see you are in Santa Maria.. My family farms the valley, and has done so for 100 years. My Grandfather designed Waller Park.

Back to Mercury... Life is full of choices, If I wanted to live near Elko,, and I do,,, I would. Think of all the Parathion farmers dumped into fields near Santa Maria...

Heck when I was a kid,, everyonce in while a misfired missile from Vandenburg would get blown up and fall in our fields..

As a kid we broke mercury thermometers and played with the mercury globules... supposed to be a deadly poison, but what did we know?

The bigger question is,, what do you want out of life,, if you like empty country to wander about in. If you want spectacular beauty, Nevada is your place.

A few years ago, on July 15, I found a lake in the Rubies, still nearly frozen over,,, I like that stuff.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:48 PM

Basinguide,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the Santa Maria fields are sprayed with hundreds and maybe thousands of dangerous pesticides and it is left to the farmers as to whether they follow the regulations. Many farmworkers died from California parathion use before it was banned. Only 1 drop on the skin would be fatal. There are probably similar chemicals used now that have different names. Who knows. I'm sure that the chemicals affect the health of every person who lives here. Who was your grandfather? I used to know Jim Adams before he passed away a few years ago. I know the farmers love the pesticides and I really don't understand why. I guess it's because they wouldn't be allowed to do their farming without them, because of all the regulations requiring their use.

Anyway the chemicals are one reason I have long wanted to move from here, though it's much an ideal climate here otherwise. Santa Maria is really a great place to live and I have lived here for most of my life.

My understanding is that mercury thermometers have been banned.

Did you know that swallowing just one mercury filling can be fatal? It shuts down the kidneys. Has a dentist ever warned you of this danger? Yet amalgam fillings consist of 52 percent mercury.

Quote:
The bigger question is,, what do you want out of life,, if you like empty country to wander about in. If you want spectacular beauty, Nevada is your place.
Yes I would like that, but not to have toxic mercury dumped on me, and with no regard for my safety, health or well being.

There was a fellow a few years ago who drank a glass of malathion mixed in a glass of water, to show how "safe" it was. He died a horrible death.

I'm not sure what you mean that mercury is a choice.

Are you saying there is no mercury in Elko, or that it doesn't matter if there is a lot, just to enjoy it (and the consequences of it) anyway?

Old 10-12-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Santa Maria

John,,, My grandfather is long gone, but I am a Waller. The family rents out all the farm land now. The Adams, and Rice's, Twitchells, Preiskers Ferini's etc were friends of the family..

My statement about Mercury, or any other hazard is,,, something is going to kill you. I have not seen any articles on any sickness in human or animal in Eastern Nevada or Utah stemming from Mercury. North East Nevada, is likely where we will retire to. On the long list of things that is going to kill me, Mercury is not too high on the list.. Maybe some cancer from the herbicides I was exposed to as a kid..

Regarding Mercury thermometers... yes they are banned now,,, but weren't when I was a kid.

As you are probably aware, the "downwinders" those in Eastern Nevada and Utah were exposed to radiation from the Nuke testing... Try the book, Refuge, by Terry Tempest Williams.

I justify my actions along the lines of,,, you work hard to eat right, stay healthy,, and you get hit head on by some drunk driver...

So,,

You are interested in Nevada... May I ask why? Nevada is an acquired taste and is not for everyone.. Vegas Carson and Renosparks are everywhere cities... they don't really count as Nevada. The rest of the state averages 2-3 people per sq mile. Some don't like the emptiness

Old 10-12-2006, 09:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
John,,, My grandfather is long gone, but I am a Waller. The family rents out all the farm land now. The Adams, and Rice's, Twitchells, Preiskers Ferini's etc were friends of the family..

My statement about Mercury, or any other hazard is,,, something is going to kill you. I have not seen any articles on any sickness in human or animal in Eastern Nevada or Utah stemming from Mercury. North East Nevada, is likely where we will retire to. On the long list of things that is going to kill me, Mercury is not too high on the list.. Maybe some cancer from the herbicides I was exposed to as a kid..

Regarding Mercury thermometers... yes they are banned now,,, but weren't when I was a kid.

As you are probably aware, the "downwinders" those in Eastern Nevada and Utah were exposed to radiation from the Nuke testing... Try the book, Refuge, by Terry Tempest Williams.

I justify my actions along the lines of,,, you work hard to eat right, stay healthy,, and you get hit head on by some drunk driver...

So,,

You are interested in Nevada... May I ask why? Nevada is an acquired taste and is not for everyone.. Vegas Carson and Renosparks are everywhere cities... they don't really count as Nevada. The rest of the state averages 2-3 people per sq mile. Some don't like the emptiness
Well said. You need your head on a little crooked for gabbs, or yerrington or winnemuca or elko. Not bad places...in fact very nice places. But they do not fit the standard template.

I am a suburban type though I like to vist the outlying regions. But it is a different life style. In fact I think those who ask if they would be happy there would not be...simply because they ask. You know if you are suited to those places. No one can tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada