Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:17 PM

31 posts, read 81,442 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am thinking of taking a trip to the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko at the end of January and I am concerned about driving there. I would be coming from Tucson and staying over a night in Las Vegas before continuing on to Elko. I've never been on any Nevada highways and would like to know exactly what I'd be getting into, especially in the wintertime. MapQuest would have me take I-15 up to Salt Lake City and then I-80 over to Elko, which seems silly, but I understand that US 93 is a pretty lonely road. Any advice and information about getting there? Driving would be hundreds of dollars cheaper than flying, which is why I ruled out flying. Should I have a vehicle tougher than my little PT Cruiser? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 08:22 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,438,769 times
You will be fine in your cruiser, Take 93, sort of, At Chrystal Springs go north on 318 through Lund and down to Ely, then north again on 93 to 80. This is the truckers route and misses a few high passes.
Carry chains,, but you may not use them. Your main problem would be icy roads, but the route gets heavy truck traffic and should be fine.
You will have a great time at the gathering, hope you like sonnets!
It can be cold in Elko,, take your warmies.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
I agree, take 93. You will also be close to Leland Caves and Great Basin National Park. Just in case you have time.

Elko is a fun place. If you get a chance, eat at the Star. It's a Basque family-style restaurant. Amazing food. Almost anyone can tell you how to get there.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:25 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty60 View Post
Hello, I am thinking of taking a trip to the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko at the end of January and I am concerned about driving there. I would be coming from Tucson and staying over a night in Las Vegas before continuing on to Elko. I've never been on any Nevada highways and would like to know exactly what I'd be getting into, especially in the wintertime. MapQuest would have me take I-15 up to Salt Lake City and then I-80 over to Elko, which seems silly, but I understand that US 93 is a pretty lonely road. Any advice and information about getting there? Driving would be hundreds of dollars cheaper than flying, which is why I ruled out flying. Should I have a vehicle tougher than my little PT Cruiser? Thank you.

My advice would be that MapQuest is fine for maps but I would always take their driving instructions with a shaker or two of salt.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:02 PM

31 posts, read 81,442 times
A shaker or two, I agree. Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:55 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
Another great map resource (imo, better than mapquest) is www.maps.google.com. Try it and I think you'll find it's easier to use, cleaner and clearer maps. I don't know about the directions thingie though. I do think Mapquest has a better route taker. But, I figure out my own routes by looking at the map anyway (don't trust the software).

Waaay back, in 1989 I drove from Reno to Las Vegas on Christmas Eve down highway 95 in a beat down vw rabbit. No cell phone and it was snowing almost the whole way (at least to tonopah). BEAUTIFUL scenery though, the mountains in the evening sun were just awe inspiringly beautiful. I'd like to take that drive again someday.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 27,312 times
Take highway 93 all the way TO Ely,NV. Then continue on 93 till you hit highway 80. Then you should be close to Elko. 93 is nicer the going through Lund (318) up to Ely..No heavy traffic..Enjoy

Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 AM

101 posts, read 847,814 times
Default Ditto Mapquest - Any Suggestons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My advice would be that MapQuest is fine for maps but I would always take their driving instructions with a shaker or two of salt.
MY EXACT SENTIMENTS. I am leaving Chattanooga Tennesee the first week of January to move to RENO. i TRIED EVERY OTHER WAY TO GET THERE BUT DRIVING...EVEN AMTRAK but I have two big dogs and they allow NO animals.

MAPQUEST gives me the route as i-80 from Tennessee!! In January??? I mean I know it is the most direct INTO Reno but also the heaviest weather route in winter and the storms have already begun.... a FOOT IN SEATTLE!! No thank you to i-80.

I think MAPQUEST gets paid by commerce along the route to mke such bad suggestions. Everybody is taking that special interest que from our government these days.

I am taking i-40 but the question is, how do I avoid the white stuff going up to RENO from there? Take 95 thru Vegas and up? 395 thru Death Valley and The S-Nevada valley and go up....or into California up 99 into Sac and over??

The AAA trip tik guy says 99 --- but i still have the pass down to Tahoe..that can even be hairy depending on what happens that day.

Any suggestions???

Old 12-01-2006, 04:25 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,438,769 times
Take 95. 395 climbs several passes over 7,000 ft and can be snowy and icy. 95, oddly often there is snow in Tonapah... but nowhere else.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Take 95. 395 climbs several passes over 7,000 ft and can be snowy and icy. 95, oddly often there is snow in Tonapah... but nowhere else.
Second that. The other way is rational only in a good four wheel drive and is a good bit longer. Always stay on the dry side of a mountain range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada