Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 05:16 PM

101 posts, read 847,878 times

Advertisements

I have a new job in Reno. Have to be there first week in January. For two weeks I have been exploring rentals.There are lots of great looking houses and condos for reasonable rents (unlike houses for SALE) BUT I DON'T KNOW THE NEIGHBORHOODS. I notice that most houses in my price range 1000-1300, are mostly in the same neighborhoods. I have been looking on RENTCLICKS and CRAIGSLIST.

I like nature around - parks, trails, water and love views. I don't like lots of kids, congestion, noise, etc. I can deal with some "planned communities" but, in general find them uncomfortable. I don't play golf but can deal with it as a part of the package if there is a real lack of green space in general. There seems to be no shortage of golf courses!

I have two med/big dogs and they like to walk and explore as much as me.

I had a guy send me pix of his condo near UNR abd it looks great. Views are spectacular and it's close to downtown and San Rafael Park but people are telling me that the UNR area is rundown. These are new condos up on a hill - not in a neighborhood. Could someone tell me about that area?

Here are names of the hoods that I am finding most houses in. I would appreciate your input and descriptions and, beyond that, your suggestion for things not listed here.

wingfield springs
spanish springs
virginia highlands
sommersett
UNR/San Rafael area
Double Diamond

Thanks for any help in steering toward the right thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 06:34 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,504 times
All the areas you list are fine, I would avoid Double Diamond as it is under the flight path for the airport. Wingfield and Spanish Springs resemble rural areas..

My advice is to rent something,, do a month to month, settle in and explore, you may find that perfect spot that you won't find if you "have" to have some place.

Old 12-09-2006, 07:01 AM

154 posts, read 991,855 times
To be fair, many areas of Reno/Sparks are under the flight path. I lived in an area of Sparks known as Kiley Ranch (very close to Wingfield Springs) and I experienced just as much noise from airplane traffic than I do in Double Diamond/South Meadows, which is to say suprisingly little. In regards to Wingfield Springs, it is quite picturesque and quiet. However, I would say it has more of a suburban feel. In my mind, when I envision someplace "rural", I don't think of a place that is less than 4 miles away from Costco, Best Buy, Circuit City, Kohls, Wal Mart Supercenter, Home Depot, 3 grocerie stores, and several banks & restaurants. The development in and around Spanish Springs (where Wingfield Springs is located) is somewhat patchy, but it is filling in at a rapid pace. I really like this area and wouldn't have moved, if for one thing, traffic. The City of Sparks is not doing an adequate job of keeping up with the growth of the area and there are only TWO roads that lead in and out of this valley, Vista Blvd. and Pyramid Highway. Pyramid Hwy. is a mess with several stop lights and the highest number of accidents of any road in the Reno/Sparks area.

Of all the areas you listed, I would check out the Double Diamond/South Meadows/Damonte Ranch area. There are plenty of walking trails, a few parks and the neighborhoods are clean and well-maintained. In fact, my favorite place to walk my dog is directly behind The Vintage at South Meadows apartments. There you'll find a sizeable man-made lake with a walking trail around the lake. The views of Mt. Rose from this spot are amazing. This area is also conveniently located to the freeway (395) and close to most major shopping/dining in the area. In fact, it's located pretty much right in between the regions 2 largest shopping malls, Meadowood Mall & The Summit Sierra.

I found a couple sites that may be of interest to you. For whatever reason I always have a problem posting hyperlinks on this site, so you'll have to cut and paste.

http://www.wingfieldsprings.com/default.asp (broken link)
www.damonteranch.com

Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. Best of luck!

Old 12-09-2006, 07:28 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,504 times
Quibbling here, with the southwest ambient winds, the aircraft take off south, normally, noiser, in my opinion than the northern glide path. Sparks completely screwed up the traffic handling out of Spanish Springs. From that area, it is often faster to come to Sun Valley Boulevard and directly onto 395.

Personally, I would not live in a residential neighborhood. I'd get acreage in Palomino Valley or Red Rock (although if you commute into Reno, don't do that, Southbound 395 into town has the worst traffic tieups) or Virginia Highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area