Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,062 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to Dayton Nevada. Looking at websites it says the crime rate is high but I've noticed with towns of small population that data can be skewed. Not worried about night life or anything like that but gangs and crime is more of my concern. Also the general people and community - do people keep to themselves? Is there a sense of community? Looking to have children eventually and also curious about the education which scores fairly average from what I've read. Home prices seem a little high but that seems to be common everywhere. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,653 times
Dayton is downright peacefull. Lots of community doings and I've never seen any type of gang moron anywhere near there.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:37 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Gangs? Ummm, nope. No gang issues in Dayton. That said crime issues are kinda divided by what side of highway 50 your on. East side is upscale and new houses. West side is older and the LCSO does make a fair number of busts involving meth and deals with quite a few domestic calls involving alcohol/drugs.

However I wouldn't call Dayton "high crime". There certainly is no gang activity and if they did try and gain any foothold I believe that residents would run them out at gun point with the LCSO fully supporting them.

Dayton isn't bad at all. You have easy access to get out in the wilds of the Singatse (which is quite interesting country) There's a big grocery store, it's only a few minutes to get into Carson City, all the trimmings. I don't know where the info you got about gang problems came from but that is quite erroneous. Dayton's OK.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:13 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
Sure, there are gangs. Gangs of wild horses.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,951 times
Home prices look lower then Minden or gardnerville. Also the lot sizes seem to be much larger also.
Is my research correct?

Old 10-24-2019, 06:38 PM

152 posts, read 263,242 times
Coger, yes prices are lower. Lot size would vary depending on which neighborhood in Minden/G'ville you are comparing. Both areas have opportunities for large lots as well as smaller lots.

Last edited by NevadaRE; 10-24-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 01:34 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Sure, there are gangs. Gangs of wild horses.
This is sooo true and funny!

If you move here you will never stop being surprised and fascinated by the wild horses just meandering all over the place...be warned they are on the roads when you least expect it sometimes. But yeah, last night driving up my street in NE Carson City we followed 2 poor little 'bachelors' up the street for sometime. They hang out all over the place. It's hecka funny and beautiful, too!

I was surprised that any website shows Dayton with 'high crime'...no. Maybe some domestics look high, like Carson..some of the higher statistics are for people living a certain lifestyle preying on each other, but for your average resident, crime is almost non-existent.
I know a lot of people that moved out to Dayton from Carson City because of the affordable newer homes and everyone seems very happy with the lifestyle and proximity to Carson City services.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:23 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
OK, so I have had a marauding herd of mustangs visiting my front yard this past week in NE Carson City. Around 30 1,000lb animals galloping around my circular driveway all night and my dogs don't even bark!!

So after shoveling up manure for a few days and fixing a broken sprinkler head I asked some Dayton friends what peeps out there do to discourage the visits and found out that simply stringing up some rope with flags or plastic bags tied on usually keeps them away. In my neighborhood these 'gangs' usually prey upon us in the fall for a month or so.

I tried this and so far it's working great, not beautiful, but better than the piles of manure

So I am passing on the tip for those dealing with a unique Nevada phenomenon, Hah!

Old 12-22-2019, 07:28 PM

102 posts, read 189,531 times
I lived in Dayton from 2005 - 2012. We lived near several sheriff's officers and my boyfriend worked the state prison in Carson. Yes there are gangs - more than ever now but they seem to come in from Carson. In 2009 the high school cheerleading team was busted and found to all be addicted to heroin. Drinking is overwhelming in the town. Crashes along highway 50 are so bad it is nicknamed "hamburger highway". Dayton used to be safer than all surrounding areas but it isn't anymore. I revisited a few months ago and was shocked to see how run down it is. I did not go over towards the east end where developers have blown up with over priced houses. Sad to see how dirty and nasty the town had become. Because of people feeding the wild horses and having green lawns - the horses are everywhere. Our dogs had gotten parasitic infections from eating the mounds of horse poop all over Sutro. Try and do xeric or low water landscaping. You have a lot of people moving into Dayton that lived in bad areas of CA now. We had a neighbor that but something against his fence that allowed 5 pit bulls to climb up and snarl and bark at us anytime we were in the backyard. Lyon County couldn't do anything about it. And that's what's sad - Dayton remains unincorporated and under authority of the good ol' boys club of Lyon County which spends most of its resources and time managing Fernley and Yerington. Dayton is a forgotten town which is now turning into a Reno suburb because of how pricey Reno has gotten. You couldn't pay me a million bucks to move back to Dayton.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Dayton is a decent place. The guy above has a chip on their shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada