U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM

3,303 posts, read 7,397,478 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot of past posts bashing Pahrump and sometimes describing it as a dump. I have to disagree. My husband, both Californians, were looking for a second home to purchase and stumbled upon Pahrump. We've been here 5 months now, part time, and love it. The people are the quirkiest and most unique people I've ever met (and I mean this in a good way). People leave you alone, which is a wonderful thing. They don't bother you and many have the "live and let live" attitude. Almost everyone in any store or service occupation is friendly, and they seem genuine. We've encountered very little rudeness and much good will.

I can't praise Pahrump enough. As a retirement community it's exceptional, and it amazes me people downgrade it in the way they do. It's a really nice place to live with tremendous real estate values.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 06:15 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,371,120 times
welcome to town! i'm so glad you can see what i see in this town

Old 04-18-2018, 12:52 PM

236 posts, read 282,399 times
If Pahrump was good enough for Art Bell it's more than welcoming to all.

Perhaps you residents can share some more detail about what you like there regarding restaurants, festivals, things to do and share some pics too.

Unlike much of the high desert Pahrump is allegedly blessed by an astoundingly large underground aquifer:

Fast-growing Nevada Town Faces a Crisis Over Water - Washington State Groundwater Association.
"The bottom line is there ain't a water problem here," said Harley Kulkin, a six-year resident who owns an air conditioning business.

Feeding such optimism is the common belief that the town sits atop one of the largest aquifers in the United States, a vast underground sea that will never run dry.

It's an idea discounted by scientists but oft-repeated by town officials and in promotional materials from the valley's chamber of commerce.

"We've got enough water because we sit over the third-largest aquifer in the world," chamber official Brenda Dowell said.

While a huge regional system of deep aquifers runs from White Pine County to Las Vegas, Pahrump is atop an isolated pocket that would be almost impossible for the town to tap, Buqo said.

"It's a myth," Buqo said. "They do not (even) have the third-largest aquifer in the state of Nevada."

Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM

that link is from many many years ago - ron williams hasn't been the director of planning since.....oh 2005? 2007?

& trust me, that largest aquifer phrase has been beat to death. unfortunately once it's on the internet, it never dies. it was a sales pitch that was used in the 70s & 80s to lure tourists to purchase lots here in town.

current water information:

NYE COUNTY WATER DISTRICT - Home

Old 04-18-2018, 03:54 PM

http://www.nyecountywaterdistrict.ne...l_Complete.pdf

This .pdf is the most recent well decline study from January 2017 - clearly a failure rate of 10-20% in the next decade or so is a concern, but given the relatively shallow depth to drill perhaps not a total disaster.

Thanks for your link. This study has some high quality maps and charts to highlight the impacted areas.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:18 AM

19,573 posts, read 23,243,136 times
Is there a downtown area, per se, in Pahrump? The couple times I passed through there en route to Death Valley I looked high and low for the downtown area. And is there any bus service at all? Or buses to and from Las Vegas?

Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 PM

bus service has been tried a few times, never succeeded. we have a new bus service in town that caters specifically to the elderly called "VetTrans", takes people to/from dr's appts in town. we also have a taxi service here in town.

bus service to/from vegas does not exist. we see tour buses come thru daily from vegas on their way to death valley, but that's it.

as far as "downtown", it's a mixed bag. a while back we all voted for the calvada eye area to be our "core", but nothing has really changed as far as encouraging new business to set up shop along that road. to us locals "downtown" is considered the main drag, right there where all the business' are located - wells fargo, carls jr, walmart, enterprise car rental, home depot.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 PM

3,303 posts, read 7,397,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wycoyote View Post

Perhaps you residents can share some more detail about what you like there regarding restaurants, festivals, things to do and share some pics too.
As I said, people leave you alone. They don't care how much money you have (or don't have), you can dress as you want, very little elitism or conceit among the locals. There's a tremendous golf course in town with a beautiful community surrounding it, and you wouldn't even know you're in the desert.

Seriously, does this look like the desert in the photos below? Admittedly, the whole town isn't this nice and these photos are flattering, but still representative of what it looks like. I'm tellin' ya, it's great!

Old 04-21-2018, 10:52 AM

That's simply beautiful, thanks!

Lots of groundwater water in use there though...

Old 05-06-2018, 05:25 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,837,280 times
Default Chevron St. area in Pahrump

Hi folks, I was looking at a home online on Chevron St. in Pahrump. Can anyone tell me how that area is, i.e. crime, flooding when there are heavy downpours, and anything else you can tell me about that area. It's hard to tell from looking on google maps, but it sure looks nice to me. Thanks much in advance everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or