Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 06:33 PM

40 posts, read 32,689 times

Advertisements

Dmvs are closed so I cannot get a driver's license. How can I show them I am no longer a CA resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 10:45 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,189 times
Remove yourself from the voter registration.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:48 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
When you file your tax return, use your Nevada address, if you had any CA income last year. Or do this

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/help/contact/...y-address.html

Old 05-06-2020, 02:28 PM

So I do not need a nevada driver's license? Voter registration and a lease is enough?

Old 05-06-2020, 03:51 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
What you really need to do is show CA that you are not a CA resident. It is helpful to:

Quit your job in CA.

Stay out of CA.
Sell your primary residence in CA.

Establish a residence in another state.
Transfer your vehicles to another state.

Get a driver's license in another state.

Get a doctor and dentist in another state.

Quit any clubs, churches, associations in CA.
Join clubs, churches, associations in another state.

Give up any professional licenses in CA.

Get a professional license in another state.

Notify the registrar of voters that you are no longer qualified to vote in CA.

Register to vote in another state.

Even if you leave CA you will still be required to pay CA income tax on CA income. You must file a form 540NR.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
What you really need to do is show CA that you are not a CA resident. It is helpful to:

Quit your job in CA.

Stay out of CA.
Sell your primary residence in CA.

Establish a residence in another state.
Transfer your vehicles to another state.

Get a driver's license in another state.

Get a doctor and dentist in another state.

Quit any clubs, churches, associations in CA.
Join clubs, churches, associations in another state.

Give up any professional licenses in CA.

Get a professional license in another state.

Notify the registrar of voters that you are no longer qualified to vote in CA.

Register to vote in another state.

Even if you leave CA you will still be required to pay CA income tax on CA income. You must file a form 540NR.

But I will not be able to get a driver's license or vehicle registration now right due to dmv closure? Or could I get both of these online? My work is done online so I that should not count as income earned in CA right?

Old 05-06-2020, 05:39 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtryan View Post
My work is done online so I that should not count as income earned in CA right?
I assume you are an employee of a company. You should tell the payroll department of your employer that you are now a resident of Nevada for income tax purposes, and that you no longer are a resident of California for income tax purposes.

Keep a calendar of each and every day / night you spend inside California, assuming you must occasionally visit the state for work or non-work purposes.

Do not use a credit card or debit card inside the State of California. If you do, the State FTB will use it as evidence that you really didn't leave CA.

Do not use an ATM inside CA. If you do, the State FTB will use it as evidence you really didn't leave CA.

Do not visit a doctor or dentist inside CA.

Any one thing might not cause CA FTB to go after you, but it is best to go overboard on being safe.

Don't try to pull a fast one on CA. The State FTB is very experienced at sniffing out scofflaws. Only claim Nevada as your new state of residence if indeed you have fully committed to Nevada, actually moved, and actually severed the majority or all of your economic ties to the state.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
You might also note that no matter how you do it the FTB may still come after you. But it is mostly a sham. They have a set of automated systems that will chase and threaten you for a year or two. Don't sweat it however. Demand an FTB hearing. A month or so before it occurs the FTB will have a knowledgeable human look at it. And that is likely when it will likely go away.

I rode through this twice. Once with a good friend and once on my own behalf. It is a war of attrition not reality. So hang tight and it will eventually come out OK.

My friend's big problem was that he owned a condo in San Pedro and went off in a boat for a few years and never had another permanent address. Mine was a lease on a boat slip in Long Beach. Even after I sold the boat and no longer paid the lease it would not go away.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I assume you are an employee of a company. You should tell the payroll department of your employer that you are now a resident of Nevada for income tax purposes, and that you no longer are a resident of California for income tax purposes.

Keep a calendar of each and every day / night you spend inside California, assuming you must occasionally visit the state for work or non-work purposes.

Do not use a credit card or debit card inside the State of California. If you do, the State FTB will use it as evidence that you really didn't leave CA.

Do not use an ATM inside CA. If you do, the State FTB will use it as evidence you really didn't leave CA.

Do not visit a doctor or dentist inside CA.

Any one thing might not cause CA FTB to go after you, but it is best to go overboard on being safe.

Don't try to pull a fast one on CA. The State FTB is very experienced at sniffing out scofflaws. Only claim Nevada as your new state of residence if indeed you have fully committed to Nevada, actually moved, and actually severed the majority or all of your economic ties to the state.
I am actually unemployed. I do stock investments for myself

Old 05-06-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You might also note that no matter how you do it the FTB may still come after you. But it is mostly a sham. They have a set of automated systems that will chase and threaten you for a year or two. Don't sweat it however. Demand an FTB hearing. A month or so before it occurs the FTB will have a knowledgeable human look at it. And that is likely when it will likely go away.

I rode through this twice. Once with a good friend and once on my own behalf. It is a war of attrition not reality. So hang tight and it will eventually come out OK.

My friend's big problem was that he owned a condo in San Pedro and went off in a boat for a few years and never had another permanent address. Mine was a lease on a boat slip in Long Beach. Even after I sold the boat and no longer paid the lease it would not go away.
So is a nevada drivers license necessary to show the move to fight and win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada