Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 09:25 PM

159 posts, read 187,990 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that the wells in Pahrump are running dry. Any truth to that or just another Pahrump water story!! ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 09:47 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
I did a quick google and found this article from a couple years ago which states "Nevada’s top water regulator has ordered a halt to residential well drilling in Pahrump in hopes of slowing the decline of the community’s overtaxed groundwater supply."

Here's one from 18 months ago that indicates the matter is in the courts.

Here's one from 10 months ago that the Nevada Supreme Court held a hearing.

Here's one from July 2020 that the matter is still before the state supreme court.

That may have changed since then, further diligence is required. In the western USA water is scarce and getting more scarce and more expensive. Myself, I'd avoid that area because the water issue is only going to get worse until we get several years of abundant rainfall. There is an amazing body of law governing water use in the west under the Colorado River Compact.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-02-2020 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-10-2020, 02:09 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
For a long time lvmensch was President or one of the Directors of the Nevada Well Owners Association. He know a good bit about the issues with wells and is the source of this info.

The problem with Pahrump is straightforward and goes back many years. Well back when Pahrump was very rural they actually had large rice farms. Those places got well permits that should never have been given. The State Engineer over-permitted Pahrump by a large amount.

As it began to develop as a small city the residents used the domestic well laws to drill many wells. These permits were really aimed at more rural situations and allowed each lot to pump 2.1 acre feet...they actually pump less than half this but it still contributed to overdrawing the aquifer.

The domestic wells are an interesting legal case. Does the State Engineer have the authority to prevent domestic wells? Some think that is not in the law and that the Nevada Supreme Court is ducking the issue because they do not want to prevent limitations.

So for some years the water table under Pahrump has dropped a foot or so each year. It is often suggested that Parhump wells be drilled 50-100 feet deeper than the water level so they will have reasonable chance to produce as the water level falls further.

There is no Colorado River water in Pahrump and it is unlikely that there will be any in the future. The Colorado River water is consumed by Las Vegas and its suburbs.

There are some other aquifers to the north of Pahrump but they cannot be pumped much because they extend close to the Nuclear Test Area where the aquifers are contaminated. So no one wants to let that contamination spread to the south.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:34 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,516,151 times
very good explanation mike! a few years back, when the state engineer came thru & started the panic about capping/monitoring our domestic wells, i did hear about wells on the south end of town running dry BUT at that time rumor around town was "use it or lose it" with regards to their water rights. so some of the iditots were turning on the hose & walking away, letting the water run for DAYS. it was disgusting to watch.

thankfully that habit has slowed considerably.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 15,610 times
Default Pahrump Well Cost

Hello My Wife and I are looking at buying a House in Pahrump......If we buy and existing House and have to drill a deeper well (maybe to 200ft.) can anybody give me a ballpark on the cost?.....and I would appreciate if someone could send me a DM for a good agent we can trust.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:05 PM

DM sent for real estate agent

as for well drilling, i'd contact civilwise:
Civilwise Services, Inc – Land Surveying, Civil Engineering and Water Rights

Old 12-21-2020, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,100 times
Default Pahrump - Water

Greetings.
Looking for opinions on the water issues, with the current expansion of track homes and the constant State Water Engineer stories over the past 10yrs. Things have gone quiet. So are you running out of water or not?
I know there are many opinions, however why would anyone spent 250K on a home that is supposedly going to run out of water in the future? (I've been listening to the rumors for 30yrs over here on the otherside of the hump)

Old 12-27-2020, 02:14 PM

are we running out of water? no will we in the future? maybe. my crystal ball is broken at the moment.

post #3 contains a lot of good information. it's well worth the read
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada