Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Live and let live is fine. As long as it does not interfere with my rights.

If I sit down next to a smoker when I have an option not to I will grin and bear it. If however it is the only spot at a bar where smoking is not legal I won't. I won't complain about a smoker two seats over either. But yup soon as I get smoke in the face I am going to *****.

Agreeing to minding your own business is great. But as soon as I get smoke in the face without volunteering it becomes my business.
Excellent example of what is wrong with Nevada "newbies".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Excellent example of what is wrong with Nevada "newbies".
You wish. I am senior to roughly half the population. You are simply out of date...You need to go into the discarded goods pile...

Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You wish. I am senior to roughly half the population. You are simply out of date...You need to go into the discarded goods pile...
Well, GOOD for you. YOUR posts indicate time and time again, you simply don't get it. Good thing you came to the hottest real estate market of all time with multiple pensions, social security, and California equity. You go boy, go.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
That is because you have the true "spirit" of Nevada----live, and let live. You have seen, listened, and learned what made Nevada unique. Sadly, Nevada-- in particular LV, has been flooded with inconsequential residents of other states, who wish to exert an influence they NEVER obtained elsewhere. The "spirit" of Nevada seems to be in jeapordy.
It scares me when I think how close we are in our attitudes......sometimes.....have a good day Sheriff

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 PM

45 posts, read 119,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinga View Post
FWIW, I lived in California when the bans there were enacted. No one ever "ratted on me". I smoked in almost every bathroom in restaurants after eating.. no one ever said a thing. It wont be any different here.. even if you and your Nico Nazis figure out a way to pass some kind of law with teeth in it.. lol

As to the whole Addiction BS, You can take your addiction insinuation and run with it until it flies away like a kite with a broken string.

Smoking wasn't considered an "addiction" until the Surgeon General changed the definition of addiction to specifically include the smoking of tobacco.

It was considered a habit. Habituality is a quite different thing from addiction.

All these anti smoking types ranting about smoking causing death, yet I see thousands of seniors smoking away in the casnios.

If smoking "causes death" then I guess its not doing a good enough job.

My days and those like me.. are far from numbered. This is Nevada, Lots of freedom loving people live here. We dont like to be told what to do. The more you push, the more we will push back.

You cant arrest or fine everyone.. and we are still doing as we please.

OH and btw... I have found a gas station that has its slots out of the way of the front door in my town.. guess what we can do now
Do you have kids?

Would you smoke in your baby's nursery?

Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 PM

207 posts, read 734,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzito View Post
Do you have kids?

Would you smoke in your baby's nursery?
No kids, but if I did.. most certainly. I am not saying I would sit in there with a carton and smoke away, but I certainly would not going to stress out if I happen to be having a smoke and walk in there. Oh and for the record, I have had young children in my house (mostly family) and smoked near them.. last time I checked, they did not drop dead at the sight of an ADULT smoking. Nor did they pawn their toys to run out and buy a pack of Smokes to be "Cool"

You see, I was raised in a time where looking at a pack of cigarettes didn't cause your head to explode, your ears to fall off, and your body to break out in in hives all over. No matter how hard the social engineers try to make smoking the latest and greatest bugaboo, it simply wont work on those who were raised in a time where smoking was common and didn't cause 1/8th of the disease it supposedly "causes" today.

Todays people, are scared little sheep, so scared of any risk, no matter how small, that I sometimes wonder how people get through the day.

I can't imagine how miserable it must be to go through life looking at every single cigarette burning in public as a "death sentence" but most people don't have much common sense these days.. so it does not shock me.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 AM

91 posts, read 371,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinga View Post
No kids, but if I did.. most certainly. I am not saying I would sit in there with a carton and smoke away, but I certainly would not going to stress out if I happen to be having a smoke and walk in there. Oh and for the record, I have had young children in my house (mostly family) and smoked near them.. last time I checked, they did not drop dead at the sight of an ADULT smoking. Nor did they pawn their toys to run out and buy a pack of Smokes to be "Cool"

You see, I was raised in a time where looking at a pack of cigarettes didn't cause your head to explode, your ears to fall off, and your body to break out in in hives all over. No matter how hard the social engineers try to make smoking the latest and greatest bugaboo, it simply wont work on those who were raised in a time where smoking was common and didn't cause 1/8th of the disease it supposedly "causes" today.

Todays people, are scared little sheep, so scared of any risk, no matter how small, that I sometimes wonder how people get through the day.

I can't imagine how miserable it must be to go through life looking at every single cigarette burning in public as a "death sentence" but most people don't have much common sense these days.. so it does not shock me.
Are you old enough to remember the William Talman anti-smoking add from the 60's?

William Talman, the man who played the prosecutor Hamilton Burger in the popular television series, Perry Mason. Talman wrote the announcement himself. It came from his heart. He wanted it to air after he died, and he died shortly after it began running.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco Franko View Post
Are you old enough to remember the William Talman anti-smoking add from the 60's?

William Talman, the man who played the prosecutor Hamilton Burger in the popular television series, Perry Mason. Talman wrote the announcement himself. It came from his heart. He wanted it to air after he died, and he died shortly after it began running.

Haha nope.. I was only 2 when that ad was running. I did manage to find it on youtube however.

YouTube - William Talman Anti-Smoking Ad 1968

Not impressed.. lol

Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 PM

106 posts, read 682,204 times
Default anti-smoking laws--who needs them?

I have been smoking for nearly twenty years now and feel justified in saying that smoking is a choice not an addiction. I made a choice and now I am being treated as a pariah of society. I have heard of some great compromises such as smokers being allowed to have their own private clubs which are like restaurants/bars where they would have to pay a membership fee to be able to smoke there. Another compromise was letting businesses decide whether they wanted to allow smoking or not and buying a special permit to allow it (GUESS WHAT!! Extra money for the government). For a while (although not anymore) New York compromised by sealing up the smoking sections in glass with separate ventilation so smoke did not go into the non smoking sections. I feel that if this trend continues we are going to end up with another Prohibition on our hands and it won't stop with tobacco (EX. Trans-fats). Next it will be sugar, then caffeine, and so on. When will the madness end???

Old 08-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Thats why I have been fighting the smoking bans since they started Ingrid.. these fascists never stop.. they just grab for more and more control.

Sure, it all seems like a "good idea" at first, but then it oversteps its bounds and everyday people find themselves running afoul of the nanny state laws.

I too was in NYC back when the first ban was passed, for the most part we ignored it (I was managing a restaurant back there) and they kept up with the bans until business died off totally as we were a bar and grill.. so the place closed up.

Its not a debate over if smoking is good for bad for you (However most have been brainwashed into thinking it is) its a debate over if the government has the right to tell you how to live on things so tiny and unimportant as smoking.

Next they will be telling you what time to get up in the mornig, how much coffee you can drink (Its already on CSPI's Radar), how much booze you can drink (Under the guise of drunk driving laws) and how much you are required to exercise.

Just wait till Big Brother Government run heath care passes.. oh man they are gonna have fun with that one

"I'm sorry citizen, but your weekly drug test shows that you have been smoking/drinking again, and we know that costs the government and society money, so you will be fined"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada