Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:30 AM

17 posts, read 65,976 times

Advertisements

Desertlover, Califorinia has enacted a much more restrictive smoking ban since 92. We have not closed down...the population is booming and businesses are raking in cash. Most people here hate smoking, and the bans are becoming even stricter. It is not like prohibition. People are quiting and bans have even more support from ex-smokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 9,996 times
This is a really hard subject for me----I am not a smoker but my husband is and has been since the age of 14. WE are now 60. It has not been a problem until recently. We live in Washington State, and we have the same problem here. Cannot smoke in our favorite neighborhood bar, or the bowling alley, or at the State Fair of any of our community parks. We do get some relief out on the water in the boat, but nowadays, we do not go anywhere, or enjoy too much together time because he is treated like the plaque. If we go to the park to watch our Grandchildren play, someone will remind him that there are children around and he should not be smoking, we do not take her bowling anymore or to the shopping mall because it has become so restrictive that we forget where it is permissable. I believe smokers should be more aware of the smoke and how it effects others, but at this rate, we feel like a prisoner in our own home because now that is the only place we can spend time together without him feeling like an anialator of the human race. Happy, Retirement----right!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:42 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchazen22 View Post
This is a really hard subject for me----I am not a smoker but my husband is and has been since the age of 14. WE are now 60. It has not been a problem until recently. We live in Washington State, and we have the same problem here. Cannot smoke in our favorite neighborhood bar, or the bowling alley, or at the State Fair of any of our community parks. We do get some relief out on the water in the boat, but nowadays, we do not go anywhere, or enjoy too much together time because he is treated like the plaque. If we go to the park to watch our Grandchildren play, someone will remind him that there are children around and he should not be smoking, we do not take her bowling anymore or to the shopping mall because it has become so restrictive that we forget where it is permissable. I believe smokers should be more aware of the smoke and how it effects others, but at this rate, we feel like a prisoner in our own home because now that is the only place we can spend time together without him feeling like an anialator of the human race. Happy, Retirement----right!
Maybe it might be time for him to give it up I know it's very hard but at the same time he may be prolonging his life to enjoy retirement a bit longer. Just a thought

Old 05-26-2007, 04:54 AM

10 posts, read 26,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Smoking would not be a problem if smokers did not exhale
Or if smoking products were illegal to manufacture and sell. {I smoke,but I try to see the whole problem,not the end result.]

Old 05-26-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by directsci View Post
Desertlover, Califorinia has enacted a much more restrictive smoking ban since 92. We have not closed down...the population is booming and businesses are raking in cash. Most people here hate smoking, and the bans are becoming even stricter. It is not like prohibition. People are quiting and bans have even more support from ex-smokers.
It's exactly like prohibition,forcing people to quit doing what was previously acceptable,and I should add,legal. Emphasis on Forcing. Now that Calif has conquered the smokers,will they start to inforce there illegal drug laws?

Old 05-26-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
I'd rather be in a car full of smokers than a car being driven by a drunk driver. As far as I know smoking is still legal. People have become way to hypersensitive on this subject. Smoke em if you got em as far as I'm concerned because guess what folks nobody is going to live forever.
Couldn't agree more.TughillTina,Take a bow.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:02 AM

17 posts, read 65,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyG View Post
It's exactly like prohibition,forcing people to quit doing what was previously acceptable,and I should add,legal. Emphasis on Forcing. Now that Calif has conquered the smokers,will they start to inforce there illegal drug laws?

It is completely different than prohibition. An individuals choice to drink alcohol does not affect other people (unless he drives which is illegal). Small amounts of alcohol are even healthy. Smoking is 100% suicidal. Public smoking is 100% homicidal. Approximately 10 percent of all smoking deaths are non-smokers who are affected by second hand smoke. Public smoking is a form of murder. Allowing smoking is the same is allowing murder/child murder.

I do agree with you about the drug laws. I believe in zero tolerance.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:31 PM

33 posts, read 163,250 times
Smoking is only 30% homicidal -- 70% of the people who smoke do not die from smoking. I personally feel that the anti-smokers are overreacting, but I understand that I am in the minority. There are a lot of things in life where a minority of people inconvenience the majority of people -- peanuts on airplanes, body searches at the airport, those who object to abortion and euthanasia, objections to stem cell research, speeders, school teacher salary demands, illegal aliens who get free healthcare, the Christian right,etc. I hope I have offended everyone. It is what it is.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by directsci View Post
It is completely different than prohibition. An individuals choice to drink alcohol does not affect other people (unless he drives which is illegal). Small amounts of alcohol are even healthy. Smoking is 100% suicidal. Public smoking is 100% homicidal. Approximately 10 percent of all smoking deaths are non-smokers who are affected by second hand smoke. Public smoking is a form of murder. Allowing smoking is the same is allowing murder/child murder.

I do agree with you about the drug laws. I believe in zero tolerance.
Your logic is flawed. 100% of smokers do not die from smoking, nor do 100% of people exposed to second hand smoke. (If that were the case, very few pepole would have lived past the 1950's when pretty much everyone smoked and/or were exposed to smoke on a regular basis.) And gaving a cigarette in front of someone is NOT the same thing as shooting them. Good grief!

This is not to say that smoking isn't harmful (and I don't think it should be like it was in the 50's where people smoked in hospitals, movie theaters, airplanes, etc.), but your post very nicely illustrates the "nazi-esque" over-reaction people have been talking about.

Last edited by MidniteBreeze; 10-16-2007 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
This goes deeper than just smoking. If I own a bar that is my private property, the government is telling me I can't allow a legal activity in the bar, smoking. So that's today, and it's great with you because you don't smoke. Let's look down the road a ways. An article just came out of the UK that poses the probability that obesity is more dangerous than smoking. Will it be OK with you when you have to weigh in to be allowed to eat at a restaurant or buy a twinkie? Before you start thinking that's ridiculous, remember everyone smoked in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. Smoking bans would have been unthinkable to those folks. Doctors did ads stating smoking was good for you!

So now we've vilified the smokers and people who are overweight. Who is next and will THAT be OK with you too?

I guess the part of this I hate the most is the unethical behavior of the states. They remove the smoker from polite society but they won't take their hands out of their pockets. Just make it illegal and stop profiting from tobacco sales. Bring back the speakeasy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada