Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 01:32 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times

Advertisements

https://apnews.com/article/legislatu...1e9102e8a0e5f0

This is what happens when your entire state ecosystem is built around attracting major corporations with low taxes.

The corporation becomes the government. Enjoy your lives Nevadans, I won't be around to see the fallout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 01:35 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://apnews.com/article/legislatu...1e9102e8a0e5f0

This is what happens when your entire state ecosystem is built around attracting major corporations with low taxes.

The corporation becomes the government. Enjoy your lives Nevadans, I won't be around to see the fallout.
Isn't this exactly what Disney did in Florida? Reedy Creek?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_...ement_District

Old 02-05-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Isn't this exactly what Disney did in Florida? Reedy Creek?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_...ement_District
Yeah, but disneyworld is one area, and I don't think they can levy taxes for schools.

What Nevada wants to create is multiple zones to compete with traditional local governance.

And why shouldn't they, they have all be sold the state to tech companies like Tesla with tax exemptions and land sales.

This is the libertarian dream.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:16 PM

783 posts, read 841,604 times
Here is a more detailed article about this:

https://cryptonewsstudio.com/2021/02...y-nevada-news/

I am old enough to remember 'Bullfrog County' Nevada...ha ha!

This does seem a strange concept, but not sure how it will hurt the private life of a Nevada citizen not in the 'zone'...or 'semi-autonomous county'. Where this is located is in the desert outside of Reno in Storey County. I would guess that these 'zones' would mostly be in this area just because of the amount of acreage required and access to the rail/highway infrastructure there.

Someone who worked at the Tesla plant in that area once described it to me as a fiefdom with it's own laws or lack of them :/

Old 02-05-2021, 03:19 PM

26,223 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Insanity. Goofy beyond belief.

Fits my definition of FASCISM as defined by Merriam-Webster: "a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation (and often race) above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition"

Let's hope the bill dies in committee.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:29 PM

You have to read the more detailed article...it would be a board of commissioners who would be in authority, two of whom are not affiliated with the company and counties are subject to state government.

Unlikely the bill dies in committee because the governor is pushing it. Not many details out on this just yet.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
You have to read the more detailed article...it would be a board of commissioners who would be in authority, two of whom are not affiliated with the company and counties are subject to state government.

Unlikely the bill dies in committee because the governor is pushing it. Not many details out on this just yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Here is a more detailed article about this:

https://cryptonewsstudio.com/2021/02...y-nevada-news/

I am old enough to remember 'Bullfrog County' Nevada...ha ha!

This does seem a strange concept, but not sure how it will hurt the private life of a Nevada citizen not in the 'zone'...or 'semi-autonomous county'. Where this is located is in the desert outside of Reno in Storey County. I would guess that these 'zones' would mostly be in this area just because of the amount of acreage required and access to the rail/highway infrastructure there.

Someone who worked at the Tesla plant in that area once described it to me as a fiefdom with it's own laws or lack of them :/
The state calls it an alternative local government.

Which means local governments will be competing with private entities.

These 'zones' will have their own schools, taxes, and fire departments. They will drain capital from surrounding communities.

The best part is once it's not profitable anymore, the shareholders will have the community liquidized.

Great future for Nevada.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:01 PM

Nevada always has does things it own way!

Personally, I do not like most techie type companies and how they censor and play government already....

Yes, I have heard local lawmakers and Storey County officials are not happy with how they were not consulted about any of this, this is the governor just kind of springing it on them apparently. He is touting it as diversifying our economy, which Northern Nevada has been doing quite well, we actually have lower unemployment than the national average. Las Vegas is a mess though. So the figures being tossed out are 1 in 50 Nevadans would be employed by these 'zone' companies eventually. That is 60,000 people at our current population.

This goes along with the 'emergency directives' that are allowing governors and local governments all over the country to just issue decrees now, politicians are not being kept in check the way our Constitution intended.

Fortunately, my local government is very respectful and low-key and keeps our quality of life in mind, but there are horror stories out there.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 02-05-2021 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 10:34 AM

1,169 posts, read 752,136 times
I would hope that at the very least neither condemnation not annexation would be within their delegated powers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada