U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:54 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,182,487 times

Advertisements

We are very excited to say that we have started the ball rolling on our relocation to the west! We have sold part of our land so as to have funds to make improvements to our home before we sell...hopefully the housing mkt will pick up somewhat but that's another issue

Anyway, we have narrowed it down to three cities that seem to be what we're looking for. We love the weather in the Vegas area but wouldnt want to live inthe city, especially since we're coming from rural tennessee. We do like the quaint smaller towns but aren't tied to those.

I'm posting this entry on the Nv, ut, and Az forums to get feed back on the three cities we are interested in.

Things we like about Boulder City: The weather seems perfect for us. The population is not too large. The proximity to Vegas is close enough for family and friends to visit there if they come see us but far enough to avoid the tourists. We also adore the quaint little 'downtown' area and the big mature trees in Boulder City as well as the fact that it is a non-gaming community.

What do you thing the job market will be like for my husband? He is a plumber/electrician that also has skills in pinstriping and experience in management. He wouldnt mind having something in maintenance if it payed well enough. What are the schools like? I have three small boys (8, 4, and 1) so it is important that they have plenty to see and do. Also this move will be a learning experience for them.

LEt me know anything you think would be of value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 PM

15,756 posts, read 34,439,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
We are very excited to say that we have started the ball rolling on our relocation to the west! We have sold part of our land so as to have funds to make improvements to our home before we sell...hopefully the housing mkt will pick up somewhat but that's another issue

Anyway, we have narrowed it down to three cities that seem to be what we're looking for. We love the weather in the Vegas area but wouldnt want to live inthe city, especially since we're coming from rural tennessee. We do like the quaint smaller towns but aren't tied to those.

I'm posting this entry on the Nv, ut, and Az forums to get feed back on the three cities we are interested in.

Things we like about Boulder City: The weather seems perfect for us. The population is not too large. The proximity to Vegas is close enough for family and friends to visit there if they come see us but far enough to avoid the tourists. We also adore the quaint little 'downtown' area and the big mature trees in Boulder City as well as the fact that it is a non-gaming community.

What do you thing the job market will be like for my husband? He is a plumber/electrician that also has skills in pinstriping and experience in management. He wouldnt mind having something in maintenance if it payed well enough. What are the schools like? I have three small boys (8, 4, and 1) so it is important that they have plenty to see and do. Also this move will be a learning experience for them.

LEt me know anything you think would be of value.
Boulder City is a very nice place. Kind of Midwestern with a glimpse of Las Vegas. It is probably the most expensive place to live in Clark County.

St. George is lovely, high, cool and not the least like Las Vegas. If you are mormon or isolationist you will love it there. It is in Utah after all.

Bullhead City is hot by Las Vegas standards and the necks are pretty rubescent.

For employment you need BC with the job in Vegas. People don't work in Bullhead City and in St. George in helps to be a Saint.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 PM

10,290 posts, read 22,879,870 times
Alice, you have to know that olecapt is joking, or i think he is about St.George. Of all the places i miss living the most, that's the one place. I'm also not mormon, don't have 20 kids, far from a saint, and a teensy bit isolationist.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:50 AM

15,370 posts, read 35,641,481 times
and Bullhead city is exactly what you would expect from a City named for a very ugly catfish.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,182,487 times
Is it an ugly city? It doesnt look much different from other towns in the area from the photos I've seen.

Keep in mind, I'm used to the 'colorful' local people. I am from rural tennesse, remember? We have the highest number of meth arrests in the country, toothless old guys sitting on their doorsteps, ignorant uneducated yokels who still insist that O'Bama is a muslim terrorist, and a shack on my street with 'FUR RENT' spray painted on the side.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Is it an ugly city? It doesnt look much different from other towns in the area from the photos I've seen.

Keep in mind, I'm used to the 'colorful' local people. I am from rural tennesse, remember? We have the highest number of meth arrests in the country, toothless old guys sitting on their doorsteps, ignorant uneducated yokels who still insist that O'Bama is a muslim terrorist, and a shack on my street with 'FUR RENT' spray painted on the side.
Try Bullhead City...it is hot though. You will however find that meth addicts also congregate there. It bares some relationship to rural KY or TN... "bigger'n them there hollas tho"...

Old 06-17-2008, 11:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 35,641,481 times
Quote:

ahhhhh then Bullhead is "Tennesse without trees"

Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,051,952 times
You may want to check-out Kingman, Arizona.
It's elevation is cooler than vegas. Cheaper homes
than Boulder City (expensive). Not sure how the schools are.
There is a wonderful Park outside of Kingman which
is about 5500 ft in elevation which boast wildlife, pines, and
change of seasons. Your hubby should be able to find work
there as a plumber. Laughlin/Bullhead city is 30 minutes, Vegas
is about 1:20 minutes. Oatman is a nice tourist goldmine-gunslingers
town. LHC is not too far of a drive to go visit.. (london Bridge).

Hualapai Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
You may want to check-out Kingman, Arizona.
It's elevation is cooler than vegas. Cheaper homes
than Boulder City (expensive). Not sure how the schools are.
There is a wonderful Park outside of Kingman which
is about 5500 ft in elevation which boast wildlife, pines, and
change of seasons. Your hubby should be able to find work
there as a plumber. Laughlin/Bullhead city is 30 minutes, Vegas
is about 1:20 minutes. Oatman is a nice tourist goldmine-gunslingers
town. LHC is not too far of a drive to go visit.. (london Bridge).

Hualapai Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Small burg...household income is about 25% less than Las Vegas. Climate not far off Pahrump. Near no where. Why would anyone move to Kingman except to retire cheap?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,051,952 times
We have lived in Vegas.. for 6 years. If you like bumper to bumper traffic,
high crime rate, with 4 major large gangs... more illegals than ever... highest
forecloser rate in the US, than you might like it. It's GREAT to visit... Great
shows and great places to eat.. as long as you stay on the strip (dont stray) or
if you stay within the freemont structure. Go a block over from the freemont
experience, but bring a gun and a bodyguard.. no kidding! Living in a good
area helps.. but even then, watch your back coming out of the grocery store.
All you have to do is check with LVPD for the crime stats. Then again.. you
could live there 10 years and never have a problem. Our Daughter and her
hubby still live there, only been robbed once.. so far. As for us, we were in
a GREAT area, car stolen once, robbed at the grocery store.. now we only visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or