Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM

652 posts, read 2,710,883 times

Advertisements

I've been tracking the weather lately and it has been very satisfying, I was hoping that was normal weather for December and January.

Do you have any more details about the downhill ski resort? I've been an active skier for a few years and it would be great if there was a place in my town.

Any more insight on the town is greatly appreciated, I'm looking forward to the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:13 AM

402 posts, read 1,527,678 times
Sorry, havent been around for a few days. The weather you saw was very untypical of January here. Usually (like now), highs are teens to just above freezing with lows in the single digits to negative. As far as the ski resort, not much activity on it for a while. A local land developer wants to trade a bunch of small lots along the Duck Creek loop road for prime real estate on the mountain. Needless to say, the BLM doesnt think its such a good trade, but have offered to possibly lease the land to the developer. And the local Shoshone tribe raised a little bit of a stink about it because when it comes to making money, the land is sacred and they want a cut of it. Even if everything was approved today, because of the lack of infastructure in the mountains (little access to power, no paved roads currently), it would still be a few years I figure. It may be fun recreational skiing, but its not the same as Utah, Colorado, or Tahoe. Good thing is you're not far from SLC (about 3.5-4 hrs) and Tahoe (about 5.5-6 hours). What would your be doing in town? Things dont seem to be going well at the moment. Rumors are flying around the mine could be closing as soon as June due to lagging copper prices, and the state has frozen hiring at the prison. Other than the BLM, not many other places to work around town.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Nick, replyed to your pm.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 AM

Thanks - got it.

I just found something else of interest I was wondering about - I saw that there may be a big coal-fired power plant built near Ely, what is the status of that?

Here are some news articles I found:
Coal plant debate intensifies - Las Vegas Sun

Elko Daily Free Press (http://www.elkodaily.com/articles/2008/01/16/news/breaking_news/breaking12.p - broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 AM

Here is an article in the Ely Times

The Ely Times - elynews.com :: News: Appeal of WPES' EIS was expected, spokesman says (http://www.elynews.com/articles/2009/01/29/news/news02.txt - broken link)

Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 PM

The coal mine is the big thing in town right now. All of the city and county government are for it, thinking it will save the town. Personally, I dont want it. It will provide few if any jobs to the community (the town doesnt have the skilled workforce needed for construction, and the upper and mid level permanent jobs would require educated people who coulndt be found here). The park service is against it because of possible impact on GBNP and the military is against it because they want to expand air training operations from Hill AFB into White Pine county. I dont want to see it because although they plan to eventually build a "clean" coal plant, initially, it will be 2 750 MW coal plants like any other in the US currently. We already have some of the highest levels of chronic lung diseases I have ever seen due to things like large segments of the population working in the mining industy, downwinders from nuclear testing in the 50's and 60's, and the so called "Nevada Lifestyle" of working hard, drinking hard, and smoking hard. The last thing we need is 1000's of tons of polutants and irratants sent into the sky. Sen. Harry Ried has vowed to block all attemps to build the plants, though I think he's just talking to hear the sound of his own voice. Even if all things were cleared up tomorrow, I think It would be years untill we see the plants near Ely (plans are to build them near Cherry Creek, about 55 miles away).

Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Default Great News About Coal-Burning Plant

Ely made national news!

NV Energy Postpones Construction of Coal Power Facility in Nevada; Plans to Expedite North-South Transmission Line - Press Releases - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/29102689 - broken link)

Looks like the coal plant has been postponed, hopefully for good.

mod cut: text removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 02-10-2009 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: copyright issues ...please do not copy-and-paste an entire copyrighted article. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,350 times
What brings you to Ely?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:43 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,203 times
Default Don't be fooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Ely made national news!

NV Energy Postpones Construction of Coal Power Facility in Nevada; Plans to Expedite North-South Transmission Line - Press Releases - CNBC.com (http://www.cnbc.com/id/29102689 - broken link)

Looks like the coal plant has been postponed, hopefully for good.

mod cut: text removed
The reason why the coal plant was shut down was Harry Reid's machinations for the water rights that the power company purchased from umpteen different farms and ranches north of Ely. Reid's son and the people at the SNWA want that water... all they have to do is extend the pipeline a little bit further, right up to Lages' Junction, and they'll have it.

This has nothing to do with power, coal, air pollution or anything else. This is a water grab by Clark County.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erv207 View Post
What brings you to Ely?
I got a job in Ely and will be moving there with my girlfriend this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada