Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 37,041 times
Scirocco, I would like some sort of an office job. Sales, office assistant, office manager. I run and live at a 12 room B&B now, I do everything. So I can do just about any job. I just don't have any life with this one so I don't want a job like this again. I work way too many hours now, it's not worth it!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 PM

10 posts, read 37,041 times
Well I will be in Mesquite in 5 days!! I hope it goes well!! I have still been having trouble finding work. Maybe when I get there it will be a little better. I only have a day in town. But one of the realtors is going to take me around and show me some houses. So wish me luck!! I'll fill you all in when I get back!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 15,807 times
Default Mesquite

Mesquite is a wonderful town. We've lived here for over 2 years now and can't find much that we don't like about it. I'm not sure where Low Roller was dining, but we have some great restaurants. All of the Golf Course restaurants are terrific, as well as Katherine's & Purple Fez at the Casablanca, Charmaine's at the Oasis, Gregory's at the Eureka, Hugo's Hilltop, Lee's Tavern, Los Lupes, Panda Garden, Playoffs (for Pizza),etc.
Now is the time to buy real estate. Things are starting to pick up, yet prices are down from a year ago.
We bought here because the town is safe, clean, scenic & new. You can't beat the weather from Oct-May! Lots of entertainment & recreation close by in St. George, Vegas. Brian Head Ski Resort is fairly close too...not only for winter skiing, but a break from the heat in mid-late summer. Of course if you like to golf, this is the town to be in. I've never heard of any crime or meth problems here. You can read the police reports in the local weekly paper. They are funny, i.e. "officer received a call about a cow loose on the road".

Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 PM

404 posts, read 1,195,898 times
Default coal Fired Power Plant

I have posted on a previous thread regarding our interest in moving to Mesauite. However, it seems that the environment in Mesquite may be changed soon due to the Toquop coal-fired power plant that is to be built 12 miles northwest of Mesquite. In addition, there is a 31 mile train line planned to transport coal. Is there anyone on this site from Mesquite who can shed a little light on this topic? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:38 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Toquop is being promoted as being "the cleanest coal power plant in the United States" when it is scheduled to be completed in 2013. I've been to several presentations that have explained how new technology will prevent harmful pollutants from contaminating the populated areas. The politicians seem to be assuring us that we shouldn't have anything to worry about. That remains to be seen.

Here's a Las Vegas Review Journal's article on it:

reviewjournal.com -- Business - TOQUOP ENERGY PLANT: 'This isn't your ... grandfather's coal plant'

And a St. George Spectrum's article:

Toquop (http://m.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071104/NEWS01/711040311/-1/WAP&template=wapart - broken link)

Old 11-10-2007, 06:23 AM

SInce I am not familiar enough with the area to read the proposed map, will the extended train tracks, for the trains which can run 24 hours a day, be located in Mesquite? We are looking to purchase on the north side of town and living in the middle of industry is not what I envisioned after visiting your beautiful town. The blue skies and vistas are awesome!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:53 AM

From my understanding, the rail spur will lead in the opposite direction, away from Mesquite in a northwesterly direction. Remember, this project is wholly located in Lincoln county and from what I can gather, only one access road will come though Clark county ...even that access road will be several miles away from Mesquite. All the water pipelines and electric transmission lines will primarily be in Lincoln county. The transmission line that crosses into Clark county will be somewhere between Flat Top Mesa and Mormon Mesa so I'm assuming that it won't even be seen anywhere in town.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:15 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
SInce I am not familiar enough with the area to read the proposed map, will the extended train tracks, for the trains which can run 24 hours a day, be located in Mesquite? We are looking to purchase on the north side of town and living in the middle of industry is not what I envisioned after visiting your beautiful town. The blue skies and vistas are awesome!
The railroad runs from the site to the northwest. The site is well to the NW of Mesquite. Gets no where near Mesquite.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Thanks you, both, for addressing my concern. I appreciate it!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 AM

If you're still there, jfitt, there was a heated exchange at during a meeting last week over this Toquop project. Residents were hopping mad.

Both local papers had lengthy articles on what transpired at the meeting but I can only find one online. It's the one from the Desert Valley Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada