Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 AM

13 posts, read 74,662 times

Advertisements

Coming from Columbus, Ohio...Is there any advice out there in Nevada on the city of Dayton? Schools? Community? Commute?.....Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
I thought "Marvkrumble" was moving to Reno? Anyways, Dayton is a small town and being near the Carson River, the area has some greenery in an otherwise arid state. It's about 30 miles or so east of Carson City by way of Hwy 50, a 2 lane road in most places. It's a nice little town, perhaps a little boring for me, with limited shopping. I don't know anything about the schools.

Have you thought about Carson City, Minden or Gardnerville?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Krumble is moving to Northern Nevada...Reno area

Though having not been to this area in many years...still trying to get a feel for the more obscure areas. Most of them never visited by the Krum. Ha Ha...Seriously though we haven't been to any of these outerlying areas, excepting Tahoe, Virginia City. So, when interesting sounding properties become posted on craigslist we like to get feedback on those communities. Thanks again for the input...really

Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
MarvKrumble, take a look at www.townofminden.com and www.visitcarsonvalley.org and check out the Carson valley area. Minden and Gardnerville are about 20 minutes south of Carson City and the area is green with not so much desert and sagebrush

Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 16,651 times
Hi,
My wife and I are living in Dayton Nevada. We chose to move here from California with our children. It is a fine place and if you are looking to buy a home, your timing is great, for prices have fallen in the last year. Dayton has grown from about 5000 people in the year 2000 to about 15,000 today. Many from outta state and many from elsewhere in Northern Nevada (places like Reno & Carson). This is nice so you won't feel like a newbie for a generation as often happens in a smaller community.

Yes, Gardnerville and Minden are EXPENSIVE compared to other areas. Gorgeous views, but $$$. Quite a bit more $$$.

Dayton is probably the most upscale community in the county. Lyon county is the second fastest growing county isn the US, %-wise. Yerington is the county seat and is nice, but VERY rural ag oriented & somewhat remote. Smith Valley is a smaller and upscale, more remote &really more of a retirement area, but beautiful and just SE of Minden. Fernely is growing, nice town, very blue collar EXTREMELY WINDY even for Northern Nevada but is VERY sagey, and not as pretty as Dayton in our opinion.

Dayton is 12-15 miles east of Carson City and 35-40 minutes SE of Reno. I can be from my front door to shore at Lake Tahoe in less than 40 minutes and it is a beautiful drive. The area is lovely, Dayton has fantastic views and very little snow compared to the surrounding area. Carson City can be covered with the white stuff while there is little or none in Dayton a mere 15 miles away. Rain Shadow effect. The Carson River runs through the valley and the cottonwoods add greenery that is not found in many Nevada towns. The mountains have a variety of colors and textures. We like it a lot.

It is a nice community and gave us what we were looking for. Reno is too urban, and Carson City is beautiful but the schools there seem to have gang issues, and we didn't want that for our children.

Fallon is in Churchil County and is 50 miles east of Dayton, yet many live there as it is green, with an agricultural feel, There is an Air Force Base there and many people like it. A gal I work with drives 50 miles to Dayton daily becuase she will not leave Fallon. She loves that town.

Dayton has grown and is projected to continue growing rapidly. A third elementary school is opening this fall so eash wil have about 500 students. Both the High School and the Intermediate School are at 700 each and growing. There is shopping coming to the area and some of the "big Box" stores have reportedly purchased land along US 50. I'm not sure where one looks to verify that info, but with the 10,000 homes that are planned for the area, I 'm not surprised.

Hope this helps some. It is tough to make a decision from a long ways away. I need to visit the place many times to be sure at all hours of day and night, different days to check on traffic and the like. More for a feel of a neighborhood, but that is me. I wish you luck in your decision.
Let me know if I can help further..if I have been a help. LOL
(just adding to the confusion) I know....

Old 04-19-2007, 05:21 AM

Default Dayton, NV

BoomZJeep,

Your knowledge and detailed info. is so very much appreciated. We are curious about the housing rental market in Dayton. We are planning on renting for at least a year. Do you recommend any specific neighborhood? I really like that fact that the elementary is a traditional school year as that is what we are coming from with our first grader. Yes, it is difficult chosing from afar. My husband has been to Reno/Tahoe several times, I have never..so my curiousity it huge. Where do the residents of Dayton currently drive to shop? Again, thanks for your time and knowledge, it truly is very helpful as we never considered Dayton before now!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 12,338 times
One question: We are thinking of retiring in Nevada, partially because of the zero income tax. Can anyone estimate the property tax on a $300,000 home?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-26-2007, 11:51 AM

30 posts, read 366,096 times
I dont know about the property tax, we are renters, but we live next door in Carson City

I have alot of friends in Dayton, who moved there because it is cheaper rent wise then Carson City.

And most of the people I know who live there like it just as well as Carson or Gardnerville, but they do get teased alot

I think it is a really good little safe town though, if it had any sort of public transportation I would of moved out there due to how cheap rents are out there compared to Carson City and the fact that there really arnt any * crime ridden* areas of Dayton at all.

OH and all my friends drive into Carson City to shop, but its a easy quick drive , its really not that bad, I have many friends that work and shop in Carson and have no problems with the commute home to Dayton.

But it is a very small little town, it is growing sure, but it is small..

but it is a wonderful place to rent a little house and have the kids safely running around...

You will just have to love the drive back and forth to Carson

Old 04-26-2007, 11:57 AM

And I wanted to add that yes Dayton does not get the snow that Carson does sometimes, I have noticed that too

I am not sure if its as windy as Carson City and Reno can be?

My God the wind here just drives me nuts.

I have heard there are more scorpins and trantulas in the empty lots in Dayton then in Carson, dont know if thats important to you
I didnt even know we had trantulas up here, I thought only Las Vegas did I was a bit freaked out , but I have lived here 4 years and have yet to see one, dont really want to see one either

But I had some friends who lived in Dayton with lots of land and their sons would go out and catch scorpins and trantulas on the weekends ..why I dont know..because they were boys I supposse

And when they had just built their house in Dayton they did get 2 scorpins in the house too

But in Carson everyone has black widows in the garages too

so yah thats just one thing about the area you will get used too

however compared to the east coast there really isnt any real bug problems out here..I havnt seen a cockroach in 4 years out here..
which comming from the east coast is a miracle I tell you

Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 PM

I will warn you since your comming from Ohio, the winters are not mild and you really have to love the color brown, really really love it.

I came from Il and those are the 2 things I really wish I had not been fibbed too about.

OH yes Jessica the winters are very mild compared to IL

Uh huh..sure they are

Oh there is trees and grass here..

Uh..huh..sure there is

*winks*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada