Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:51 PM

278 posts, read 1,084,341 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Nevada, Las Vegas to be precise, and I was wondering what areas up north are great for camping. Is there any area that you can primitive camp? Would love to escape the heat down here for a weekend. When we lived in AZ we would go to the Mogollon Rim or the Verde River. Would love a great area for star gazing so my kids can officially break in their telescope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,442,668 times
Nevada is mostly wide open public land, find a place you want to visit, and visit, and camp. Always carry 5 gallons of water and your own flat fixing kit and compressor.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Note that you can get very far away from it all very close to Vegas.

The Spring Moutains have back country camping in both Red Rock and the Mount Charleston area.

Vegas light spill may screw up astronomy but otherwise pretty nice high country.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:59 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

The Spring Moutains have back country camping in both Red Rock and the Mount Charleston area.

Vegas light spill may screw up astronomy but otherwise pretty nice high country.
Tell us more of your camping experiences in Red Rock. Please give us all a link or more info about the terrific camping you have enjoyed in Red Rock. Thanks ever so much.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:48 PM

Well, here we go! We been staying in the Circus Circus campground the last few nights, and the lure of wonderful camping at Red Rock will be a pleasure and a half. We're so excitied about Red Rock camping the next few days.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:38 PM

We have a cat named Sheriff Tex, we call him that because he wanders around checking on everyone.

It appeared, perhaps I misread, that you were sarcastically implying that there is no camping at Red Rock.

You also mentioned that you camping at the Circus Circus campground, I assume you pitched a tent. Camping involves tents and or groundcloths.

Parking would be the correct term for RVs, trailers, campers.
Quote:
CAMPING

Backpacking and overnight permits can be arranged at the Visitor Center, but backcountry camping is only permitted above about 5,000 feet elevation. Wood fires are not permitted.

There is one drive-in campground, 13-Mile Campground, which is located off Charleston Blvd., about halfway between the Beltway (Highway 215) and the entrance to the Scenic Loop Road. Driving west on Charleston, turn left onto Moenkopi Road and drive south to the end of the road. You can see the campground from atop a hill before you get to the end of the road. ]

WOHR, personally I would avoid any designated campground, they tend to be noisy, often RV's running generators while the parkers sit inside watching TV. Once you get a hundred miles or more north of Las Vegas, nearly every canyon has a creek and road into it.

There is also Death Valley, I will make an exception to my no campground rule; Mahagony Flat, (sp?) it sits at 7,000 feet so it is cool, and you can look down to Badwater on one side and across to Mt. Whitney on the other, and the road is so windy going in RV's are forbidden.

Last edited by greatbasinguide; 08-04-2007 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

Thanks for sharing your local knowledge with us olecapt. I gathered the tribe, and we hauled to Red Rock. Imagine how dissapointed my family was when the park rangers gleefully explained there is no camping at Red Rock, and referred us to Mt Charleston--only a short 2 hour drive. We checked out a Bonnie Springs, and found a dumpy, broken down dude-ranch. Please keep sharing more of your local knowledge with us all.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Did you read where he said back country camping? Sheriff get your facts straight.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Thanks for sharing your local knowledge with us olecapt. I gathered the tribe, and we hauled to Red Rock. Imagine how dissapointed my family was when the park rangers gleefully explained there is no camping at Red Rock, and referred us to Mt Charleston--only a short 2 hour drive. We checked out a Bonnie Springs, and found a dumpy, broken down dude-ranch. Please keep sharing more of your local knowledge with us all.
You have this problem all the time? I hope your family is good at recovery so you don't screw up their experience or kill somebody. Probably you should stick to "camping" at Circus Circus...

From BLM...

BLM>Nevada>Nevada Field Offices>Las Vegas Field Office
Print Page

Backcountry Camping

Backcountry camping is allowed within Red Rock Canyon NCA above 5,000 feet. A permit is required and can be obtained by calling: 702-515-5050. The backcountry area is remote with no drinking water or firewood for campfires. There is no developed trail system in the backcountry.

Ground fires are prohibited, camping stoves are permitted. To minimize conflicts with wildlife, pets should be on a leash. Pets must be leashed at the visitor center and campground. Pet waste must be cleaned up.

Please carry out all trash. Litter is an eyesore and a hazard to wildlife. Trash cans are located at parking lots along the Scenic Drive and in Willow Springs.

There is also one developed campground at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.

Your poor family. Living with you must be an ongoing adventure...

Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 AM

My bad, I thought you meant real camping with full hook-ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada