Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 09:33 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,442 times

Advertisements

Hello all. First of all, I am not an idiot and am completely aware that in my user name, Nevada, is misspelled. My mistake and I'm living w/it.

I'm a 31 year old female from Tennessee and my husband and I are craving a warmer, dryer climate. We didnt realize how much we are starting to dislike cold winters, humidity, and hay fever until this year...and now we are actively considering a move to the Las Vegas area. We've visited twice (once in Oct and once this past April) and we love the weather-even the heat doesnt feel nearly as hot to us, due to the drier air. I actually thrive in the heat (used to live in Texas) so I'm not worried about that.

My husband is a plumber (installation, repair, copper-sweating etc) and a pinstriper -but he also has knowledge as an electrician and as a sales manager so I don't think it will be difficult for him to find a job. I don't want to have to work myself and would like, instead, to focus on my family (I've got two boys and one on the way).

We are considering Boulder City because we currently live in a small town and a move to a full fledged city like henderson would be a little too much of a shock for the kids, I think. It will already be very difficult to live in the small tight lots that are standard in the area (we currently have 20 acres) and we will, of course, miss the beautiful rolling green hills of Tennessee. But we also see beauty in the mountains and desert and feel ever so much better out there! We plan to purge everything if we move, selling everything and starting over. I only have some art and personal items I can't do w/out.

Any info about schools, housing, and personal opinions are greatly appreciated. Sorry I'm so long-winded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Boulder City is nice. It's a bit more expensive than a lot of areas of Las Vegas. It also seems like a lot of the housing is older from what I have seen. But it's a nice smaller town. It puts you in good proximity to doing a lot of things, but far enough away if you are not wanting to live near it.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 AM

I've seen some of the housese...yes, a little more expensive for what you get. THe think I DO love about the houses are the big trees. Since I'm from Tennessee, the yard is the most important thing. I'm not really worried about the house that much but I do want to have some green grass and a big tree or two. The distance from Las Vegas isnt an issue for us...we both are very used to a long commute living where we do.

How long would you say the drive is to the Vegas from Boulder City? It's not that far in miles but of course, that's not a factor for time.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Boulder City is a fine place to live. Schools are quite good. Crime is low. And it is quite out of the midwest.

The only bad news is that it is expensive. 20 to 25% more than nice Las Vegas. 3/2 SFRs start at 300K.

Commute to Vegas is 25 minutes to Henderson...45 to the strip. Over an hour to the west side.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Hey guys, someone on another site just recommended Blue Diamond to me as well. What do you guys know about this place? I'm looking up some info now.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Hey guys, someone on another site just recommended Blue Diamond to me as well. What do you guys know about this place? I'm looking up some info now.
There is no there there...little tiny community...250 folk. Too small for a school or anything else. Some nice spreads if you want a ranch...not cheap though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada