Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Most of them are the types that got run out of town a few years ago when they tried to turn part of Pahrump in a "city" that was nothing more than a homeowners association with draconian rules and one of them as the "boss".
Right. Also, I've noticed a trend on the City-Data forums of talking bad about various locales where it seems like the motivation is primarily wanting to keep someone's cherished home a small town. The poster really likes it there, but doesn't want everyone to think it's a fabulous place to live, because that would bring an influx of new residents and it would no longer be a small town (or such a nice place to live if that's one of the attractions), so they talk here about how awful it is instead.

In any event, the bottom line is to not put too much weight on claims by random, anonymous strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 04:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Pahrump is a pretty nice place. It is however a little looney in some aspects...as DanDan pointed out it still has no actual government and is run as unincorporated towns of Nye County which is run out of Tonopah...

I would think Pahrump needs to become a City, though perhaps a highly libertarian one. There are certain things that threaten the town...water, for one, that would be better dealt with by a City rather than as a subdivision of Tonopah...

Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
I wanted to resurrect this topic because my husband and I are in the early stages of planning a move to Nevada. We currently live in beautiful rural Tennessee but the cold wet winters and seasonal allergies (and subsequent sinus infections) have us yearning for a drier warmer climate. Since we live in a rural community now, we though Pahrump might suit our needs more than one of the more crowded communities like Henderson or Boulder City. My husband is a 'jack of all trades' type. He does pinstriping, electric, plumbing, welding, painting (both house and art), and also has managerial experience. I don't foresee him having a problem finding a job but since we have three children, I'd love for him to find something that pays well enough for me to stop working. He is going to get a certification as either a master plumber or a certified electrician before we move to increase his income bracket.

I see some very positive things posted about this community. What is everyone's experience with schools, shopping, convenience, etc in this area? Any words of wisdom? Is there not a good hospital in Pahrump? City Data shows the closest hospital in Vegas, 44 miles away! That's not okay. Would my husband be able to find work in the city, do you think, or would he have to drive to Vegas?

Oh, and since I'm from the outskirts of civilization in Tennessee, 'loonies' are not a problem, I assure you. heh heh.

Last edited by alicenevada; 02-07-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Yeah, Alice, Pahrump has a brand new hospital. Small, but brand new. It opened in the late spring of 2006 and was first proposed in, I think, 2002 but politics delayed its becoming to fruition.

And although Pahrump is dry, it is far from warm in the winter. This has been an especially cold winter in southern NV --well, for the whole west coast in general-- but Pahrump has seen many nights this winter in the low 20's.

Here's a picture of Desert View Regional Medical Center posted on the C-D reference page for Pahrump by JJ:

Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
The city-data website shows daily winter averages in the 40's. Is the extreme cold weather normal for this area? I can't put up with that...he heh.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
No, although it will get below freezing at night during cold spells in late December, January, and early February, it's not that common.

If you consider temperatures in the 40s warm, then you'll be okay in Pahrump in the winter. My personal desire is to have temperatures at least in the high 50s to low 60s but you will see those days occasionally in the winter in Pahrump too.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,100 times
you dont want to move to pahrump unless you are the type of person whom likes to do nothing and have nothing to do, you really dont want to move here. but you could bring your motorcycle buisness out here and i bet it would do good

Old 02-25-2008, 04:51 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvevry12005 View Post
you dont want to move to pahrump unless you are the type of person whom likes to do nothing and have nothing to do, you really dont want to move here. but you could bring your motorcycle buisness out here and i bet it would do good
"Something to do", in my parlance, definitely involves driving to nearby locations (Death Valley, for example--there are many others nearby) to hike and enjoy natural beauty, to visit cities (Las Vegas), etc. You need to remember that different people enjoy doing different things, and some people actually like driving, and also consider the drive itself something valuable to do.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 AM

9 posts, read 57,367 times
I do not understand replies like that from iluveury, & I agree with the reply from Desert rat. Pahrump is actually the coss roads for adventure, no matter which direction you go there is something of interest. A town is what you make of it & if you do nothing you will get nothing. I am tired of all the negativity about Pahrump, it is a growing town that still reflects a rural lifestyle with sufficient amenities, affordable housing, clean air & water. It probably is not for everyone so if you don't like it leave.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 AM

10 posts, read 68,066 times
Red face Living in Pahrump

I started this post, so figure since I've read many posts to my post I'd add something. I retired from Health Care in CA, my husband has several very serious health problems due to age and a few other things, for his care and my own we go to Vegas for health care. Last Nov. he went into total shutdown for the second time, and this area is totally not equipped to handle it. If he was airlifted, they would take him to Valley Hospital in Vegas, having been there once was more than enough. All our specialty docs are on the north end of Vegas at Mt. View Hosp. since we live in the extreme north end of Pahrump. It is still a 90 min drive, and with fuel the price it is it is expensive, we usually have three appts each time we go so we can make it worth our while and conserve on fuel. Thus we are selling out...it was my husband's dream to live here, while I love the area, love the NV history, I find Pahrump a very different place to live. I would not want to raise kids here as there is nothing for teenagers to do, no movies, only school activies. I found out this last graduation that most seniors have parties with booze and drugs at their parent's homes....gasp!

There is a lot to do around here if you golf, rock hunt, 4 wheel, enjoy the out doors, ride horses. We have a wonderful library and it is heavily used by seniors, but don't see many kids using it as we did when I grew up.

I think we have the best Sheriff's dept in NV, they have an incredible territory to cover and do a good job. However, as the valley grows so do the problems, crimes, drugs, booze, illegals, etc. Sad, but it is that way everywhere.

I would suggest anyone wishing to move here come when we are having winds, heavy rains, in the winter, see it at its worse and then decide. Also stick around when it is 120+ and see how you like it. I've enjoyed living here, but I look forward to leaving in a lot of ways, but primarily because I know it is the only way my husband can continue living without moving to Vegas, NO WAY!!!

If you want 10 ac. with a wonderful modular home, across the street from BLM, bright stars at night, surrounded by mountains, no flooding, protected from the dust/wind, let me know.

Hugs and best luck Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada